Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

'Shocking' Report: Georgia quarterback Jamie Newman to opt out for NFL draft

SystemSystem Posts: 10,489 admin
edited September 2020 in Article commenting
image'Shocking' Report: Georgia quarterback Jamie Newman to opt out for NFL draft

ATHENS — Wake Forest graduate transfer Jamie Newman is opting out for the NFL draft, according to Yahoo reporter Pete Thamel, who cites an anonymous source. Newman has been competing with Southern Cal transfer JT Daniels, redshirt freshman D’Wan Mathis and freshman Carson Beck for the Georgia starting job. Anthony

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    LowcountryLowcountry Posts: 104 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    Dawgfan1995Dawgfan1995 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭ Junior

This is like the most Georgia thing ever.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

OMG.....wow, what a wasted scholarship. I wish him well, but this is bizarre.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Best of luck in your future young man..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2020

I'm not worried. I thought all along that Newman's ability was over-hyped. Plus, Newman was only going to be around for one season. The worst part is losing his dual threat ability, since none of the other potential QBs really are a true dual threat.

Glad it happened now instead of September 20th. I'm happy this gives Bennett, Beck, and Mathis a better chance to compete against Daniels - whom I DO think will be limited on his mobility due to still working on fully recovering from the ACL injury. And, as we all should know, it's an injury than can pretty easily happen again (think our recent stud loss at WR).

• Options
    MACDAWGMACDAWG Posts: 259 ✭✭✭ Junior

Big mistake. He needs to prove himself for the draft. I think this hurts him tremendously and if I were an NFL team I would pass on him for several rounds. Next man up, we have some really good QBs behind him.

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hey, its his life and his choice. Best of luck to the young man. A dawg will emerge from the pack.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wow. Did not see this coming. Like his old coach intimated, I wonder what changed for him. Maybe he was always leaning that way? If so, I wonder if the coaches knew. Maybe Daniels is the real deal and was performing better in practice? Even still, with him coming off a knee injury, there would have to have been a large gap in the quality of their performances for that to explain it, and that doesn't seem all too likely. So many questions.

• Options
    SAVYSAVY Posts: 260 ✭✭✭ Junior

What a ridiculous take on the young man’s decision. Shame on you for saying that. Our fan base is better than this.

• Options
    10DAWG10DAWG Posts: 254 ✭✭✭ Junior

A real head scratcher for sure...

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I thought we would see Jamie start this season and JT start next year against Clemson. This now creates a real possibility that we don’t have a JT next year. If he has a stellar season for the Dawgs he too could declare for the NFL draft. If that does happen I certainly hope he finishes higher in the draft than JN.

Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

Hearing from a reliable source within the team that Daniels was outperforming Newman in the new offense despite the fact Daniels has yet to be cleared for contact. If Newman had lost the job or lost the job during the season, his draft stock would have fallen further than just bolting for the NFL now.

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No worries here! None at all! We've got other potentially great QBs to lead us. Just glad he decided to leave now than quit during the season. Be all in, or hit the road, Jack! I certainly wish Jamie well, though.

Next up! Let's Go!

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    WestAshleyDawgWestAshleyDawg Posts: 19 ✭✭ Sophomore

Smart guy. Why risk your health for a meaningless season?