Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirk Herbstreit flips pick against Georgia with JT Daniels projected at quarterback

SystemSystem Posts: 10,448 admin
edited September 2020 in Article commenting
imageKirk Herbstreit flips pick against Georgia with JT Daniels projected at quarterback

College GameDay analyst Kirk Herbstreit said he's picking Florida to win the East Division now that Jamie Newman has left the Georgia football program.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    LowcountryLowcountry Posts: 104 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'd love nothing more than to prove the talking heads wrong this season. I really hope that this is the year that UGA wins them all.

• Options
    SAVYSAVY Posts: 260 ✭✭✭ Junior

They get paid to run their mouths. Nobody knows what’s going to happen this season. That’s why they actually play the games.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

JT Daniels would have more status in minds if he were cleared and healthy. Newman was healthy.....it's a mind game.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Honestly, I don't think losing Newman is going to kill our season. We've got plenty of QBs competing to figure out who should be the starter. Who knows, maybe we'll be playing more than one for a while. Newman's athleticism, experience, and dual threat ability may cost us, but he was only here for one season. Let the QB competition continue.

Our biggest challenges are understanding and executing a brand new offense AND a BRUTAL 4-game stretch in the beginning of the season. Not easy challenges to overcome and yes, maybe the Gators have an edge with Trask, but we also have an elite defense that should TRASH Trask!

I'm more interested in actually playing football and making it through the complete season safely for all players & coaches. That, my friends, would be a victory for all of us in year of coronavirus craziness!

GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2020

I find it baffling that Newman's departure is being treated as such a deal breaker. I mean, I get that there was some hype based on his upside, but he hadn't actually shown over the course of a season that he could consistently deliver on that potential, and nobody can say with any certainty that he would have even been the starter by, say, week 4. And whatever unanswered questions may loom, there is simply no argument to be made for any expectation that this year's offense will be any worse than last year's, to go with a defense that will surely be at least as good as last years, which carried the Dawgs to a division title. This all just reads as an excuse to get on the Florida bandwagon, which itself has never had much logical backing. Not that I'm complaining; pre-season, it's better to be under the radar than over-hyped for sure. I just find all of it pretty odd.

• Options
    maconexpressmaconexpress Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior

"With Jamie Newman as Georgia’s QB I was going to pick them to win the Natty. Now? Back to Bama/Clemson"

I don't know of any sec team that won the Natty with a first year OC/DC (Joe Brady was PGC). I think Todd Monken is a very good OC but it takes time to break in a new system. I look at it as a transition year for the dawgs but I hope Todd Monken will at least make the offense better than what we've seen since Kirby took over the program.

• Options
    BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 198 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think you can sum it up this way. Newman was not able to distance himself from a true freshman, a journeyman backup, a QB coming off of ACL surgery, and a redshirt freshman who has not played a game in nearly two years & underwent life saving brain surgery last year, we may be very fortunate that he decided to opt out of the season. On a bad day with his experience, athleticism, & time with Monken, he should have been running circles around the competition. It's obvious Monken realized there was an issue in the spring.

• Options
    ugachrisugachris Posts: 24 ✭✭ Sophomore

2012 Alabama had a first-year OC (Doug Nussmeier).

2018 Alabama was breaking in first-year offensive AND defensive coordinators.

Some non-SEC teams have also won natties with first-year coordinators.

• Options

Newman hadn't distanced himself after ONE scrimmage. I don't know that that means much.

• Options

Georgia has been so spoiled with QB talent the last few years (Eason, Fromm, and Fields) that some of y'all just assume it's a given that one of our guys will step up and be a winner. If only it were that easy! Georgia's leading candidate is currently a cocky kid coming off an injury who threw 14 TDs and 10 INTs when he was healthy; most of his hype is built around what he accomplished in HIGH SCHOOL.

You know who else had an elite defense with a QB who was good in high school? Will Muschamp's Gators with Jeff Driskel! Let's just say Driskel never won a Cocktail Party.

This Dawg is holding the trash talk until I've seen a Georgia QB prove he can compete in the SEC.

• Options
    maconexpressmaconexpress Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior

I didn't include teams outside the sec because it's much difficult to win games in the sec and as for Doug Nussmeier winning a title on a team that knows how to win national championships, he should consider himself very fortunate to have been in that situation but it's still good news for uga.

• Options
    MullenIsAWhinyBabyMullenIsAWhinyBaby Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

I’m reserving all judgment until September 26, 2020. Until then, Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    WoodstockDawgWoodstockDawg Posts: 250 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I trust Kirby over Herb. We will be just fine. Win 1 of the 2 games in Alabama and beat fl and we are in SEC for shot. We will have more talent on the field than every team we play...including bama! Stay healthy and it will be a great year! Go Dawgs!!!