Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Saturday events and updates

sethemersonsethemerson Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm not at Arkansas for the game, but I will be posting updates throughout the day on things that impact Georgia in the SEC tournament seeding and NCAA tournament picture.

Obviously the biggest thing would be Georgia winning at Arkansas, which will be tough to do. But events elsewhere will also have a big impact for both seeding and the bubble.

As a for instance, Illinois is another bubble team and it is having trouble at Rutgers right now. Ohio State has been mentioned on the bubble and it is losing to Indiana at home. If Ohio State loses that's another team you can scratch from competing with Georgia for a bid.

If Texas A&M loses to Kentucky, and trails at half time right now, then that's another team Georgia cannot finish behind in the SEC standings. So if that holds up Georgia can be seeded no lower than eighth.

Check here, if you were interested, throughout the day for periodic updates like that.

Comments

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I thought Ohio State was supposed to have a really good basketball program? Is this just an off year for them that they're on the bubble?

I ask because that information comes from two people I've met over the last five years who went to Ohio State. Both of them were sports fan, but both of them were women. So they were sports fan in the womanly, whatever happens I'm gonna jump up and down and yell for my team, sort of way. Not in the manly, I'm a sports nerd who has to be right about everything, sort of way. So for all I know, they could have meant Ohio State has a basketball program like Georgia's, and they consider that good.

And when did it become OSU and not OHSU? Every time I see OSU, I still have to stop and look and think, "they're talking about Ohio State, right?"

And as you can no doubt tell from this post, I'm in no way a basketball, or an Ohio State fan. I'm not even really sure if it has become OSU.

• MinnesotaDawgMinnesotaDawg Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks @sethemerson.

Seems to me that at this late stage Georgia needs to prove that it can beat a good team. That can happen today at Arkansas or perhaps on Friday in their 2nd SEC tourney game. Barring at least one of these wins, I don't think they have a shot to get in. Without Maten, they're fighting an uphill battle...but considering the way the season has gone, it's kind of amazing that we're even still talking about Georgia and the NCAA tournament.

• sethemersonsethemerson Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Bubble update:

• Illinois just suffered a really bad loss at Rutgers. That's a big hit to Illinois.

• Ohio State, a more fringe bubble team, loses at home to Indiana. That's another good result for Georgia.

• On the flip side, it looks like Providence will avoid a bad loss and when easily at St. John's.

Texas A&M's loss to Kentucky means Georgia can fall no lower than the No. 8 seed in the SEC tournament.

If Georgia upsets Arkansas, then Georgia is No. 6 no matter what.

If Georgia loses but Vanderbilt and Ole Miss both lose then Georgia is still No. 6.

For each team of Ole Miss and Vanderbilt that win, Georgia would fall a spot.

edited March 2017

@MinnesotaDawg said:
    Thanks @sethemerson.

Seems to me that at this late stage Georgia needs to prove that it can beat a good team. That can happen today at Arkansas or perhaps on Friday in their 2nd SEC tourney game. Barring at least one of these wins, I don't think they have a shot to get in. Without Maten, they're fighting an uphill battle...but considering the way the season has gone, it's kind of amazing that we're even still talking about Georgia and the NCAA tournament.

@MinnesotaDawg said:

As far as Georgia needing to beat a very good team, that could end up being its undoing, but there is also a chance of making the tournament without winning today or against a good team next week.

Remember, two years ago Georgia made the tournament without an RPI top 50 win. So it could happen again, especially considering Georgia doesn't have a bad loss and has a good schedule strength.

Not saying it's likely, but it could happen.

Halftime: Arkansas 38, Georgia 37.

Bulldogs generally playing well, especially Derek Ogbeide, who has a bunch of offensive rebounds. But Georgia has given up too many second chances if its own and is having trouble, as you'd expect, with the trapping press.

Georgia has to play close to perfect to win this game without Maten. It's been a bit short of that, but it's in this one at halftime at least.

Another halftime score of interest: Vanderbilt trailing Florida, 40-31.

Georgia has to be rooting for Vanderbilt to lose. The only upshot is that Vanderbilt is Georgia's only top 50 RPI win right now. But more important, I think, is SEC tournament seeding and that Vanderbilt is a competitor on the bubble.

Well the start of the second half couldn't have gone much worse for Georgia. It's going to take a big comeback or else the Bulldogs have lots of work to do next week.

Obviously a very bad result for Georgia as far as the eye test in this one. Its schedule strength and RPI won't take a bad hit, but clearly it needed a better showing.

However, UGA is far from the only bubble team to struggle today. But the day is early, so we'll see if that holds up.

Here comes Vanderbilt, now within two of Florida. If you haven't already turned off the Georgia game, you might want to switch over to see if Vandy wins or loses. That has big ramifications for Georgia.

Final: Arkansas 85, Georgia 67.

The Bulldogs await results of Vanderbilt and Ole Miss to see their seeding in the SEC tournament. If both lose, Georgia is the sixth seed. If both win, Georgia is the eighth, with a potential quarterfinal match-up against Kentucky. Not ideal.

Final: Vanderbilt 73, Florida 71

Bad result for Georgia, other than it means a win against a top 50 RPI team. (Vandy might have fallen out.) Otherwise it means worse seeding in the SEC tournament, and another bubble team got a very big win.

• ugabossugaboss Posts: 47 ✭✭ Sophomore

What else is new. Bad results is UGA's middle name. It's uncanny how much bad luck the whole program has.

Ole Miss and South Carolina starting now. Georgia almost certainly rooting for SC, as that would mean the No. 7 seed and being on the Florida side of the bracket.

Not that there's a huge amount of difference for Georgia. It needs to get Maten back or any quarterfinal game, if it gets that far, will be tough.