Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

The more things change...

donmedeirosdonmedeiros Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've noticed, in my week or so back on the forum, that some things seem eerily familiar. In particular, it seems that a few/some/more than some but not a lot of folks are given to impulsive decision making. Some folks make optimistic projections based on little evidence or on a singular event. I used to caution against this but it seems like it must be human nature at least on this board. One piece of tape or on viewing of a game or a portion of a game leads to wide ranging speculations and/or predictions. The CTS case was a good example of that. I guess most folks like his work not but early on, before his first year was even over, there were calls to "fire CTS".

In light of this National Day of Encouragement, I'm encouraging us to be patient in making decisions and gather as much data as we can before doing so. Re-reading this post makes it sound kind of preachy. I hope it isn't taken that way but it is how I see things on occasion. I have no one in particular in mind and am not directing it an anyone specifically. Just an observation on the day of our 3rd scrimmage.

NATIONAL DAY OF ENCOURAGEMENT

September 12th recognizes the National Day of Encouragement each year. This day is dedicated to uplifting people around us and making a positive impact.

Offering encouragement to someone is free. It never costs us anything to say a few words to inspire a student, coworker, or friend. Even a reassuring word to a stranger may make a difference in their lives.

Encouragement lifts up someone when they are down. It also motivates a person who has their eye on a goal. When we’ve failed, the right words remind us to keep trying. A little dedication to finding the right message may create a spark that changes a loved one’s perspective. 

Sometimes, the act of noticing a job well-done improves someone’s day. Developing a habit of recognizing emerging talents motivates us to speak up and offer a kind word or helpful tip. It’s a practice worth having, to improve relationships at work, home, and in the world around us. There really is no simpler way. 

HOW TO OBSERVE #NationalDayOfEncouragement

Make deliberate acts of encouragement. Provide reassurance and inspiration to the people around you. High five someone for a job well done. Take notice when a friend is getting close to a hard-earned goal, encouraging them to keep going. Send a card or give a call or text to a family member who may be struggling. Remind them how important they are to you. Use #NationalDayofEncouragement to share on social media.

NATIONAL DAY OF ENCOURAGEMENT HISTORY

The Encouragement Foundation at Harding University in Searcy, Arkansas, launched an effort to get Americans to participate in this Day of Encouragement. Mayor Belinda LaForce of Searcy, Arkansas made the first proclamation for Day of Encouragement on August 22, 2007. The following month, Arkansas Governor Mike Beebe, signed a proclamation making September 12, 2007, the “State Day of Encouragement” for Arkansas.

Later, President George W. Bush also signed a message making September 12th the official National Day of Encouragement.

Have a good day and let's hope we have a great scrimmage.

Comments