Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Well, Sally beat the crap out of Pensacola

pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited September 2020 in General

That was an exciting 48 hours. Major flooding (downtown Palafox St was about 2 feet under water), the 3Mile Bridge is missing entire sections (and hearing rumors of other bridges being damaged), beach condos took a beating. Fortunately the rain was the worst part. I'm not seeing much destruction. At least here in Gulf Breeze everyone's house survived. Several of my friends lost their boat piers. My dock is about 3 feet under water. The storm path of Sally was all over the place. We went to bed expecting this to pass to the west with a little wind and rain and go to Mobile, but it made a hard right and almost bullseye'd right on P'cola. I am thankful there wasn't more damage, but life is going to be quite different around here until the cleanup is done and the bridges are repaired. I don't get rattled easily, but around 5am this morning I was starting to worry as the water level kept rising and the wind gusts were frightening.

Comments

• Buck_WildBuck_Wild Posts: 86 ✭✭✭ Junior

Sorry to hear that, praying for y'all.

Stay safe.

• volatilisvolatilis Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Glad you are ok, PG. Saw footage of the the Three Mile Bridge and the flooding in downtown Pensacola. Gonna be a hardship traveling to and from the western part of the Santa Rosa island . Hopefully they can repair that bridge quickly.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Downtown Palafox St

• Tdub0199Tdub0199 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Glad you are okay!!!

• GradyDawg85GradyDawg85 Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson - From prior posts, I knew you were in P'cola so I said a prayer for you and your folks as I was saying them for my in-laws who are in Sanders Beach. They are fine, no power is the worst of it, and am so glad to hear that you are as well. And I hope they've corralled that barge that was heading toward the I-10 bridge - w/3 Mile out of commission, they can't afford to lose that one, too.

Stay safe and if you know of specific local orgs that need assistance, please let us know.

edited September 2020

My backyard. My pier is about 3 feet under water. Wind howling from right to left in the picture straight up the canal. This morning a boat up the canal broke lose and was drifting in my direction. I had to run out onto my dock waist deep and push it away before it collided with my lift. It floated away, hit the dock on the other side of the canal, then landed in that guys yard in the top left of the picture. Water has started to recede a bit. Down about 6 inches now.

• CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, I just finished sailing two sailboats across the Atlantic. At first, everything looked good. Then Hurricane Paulette doubled in speed and changed direction coming straight for us. It was some pretty tough and hard sailing to beat Paulette into port, but we reached Bermuda at 8PM Saturday night and Paulette hit mid-day on Sunday. Now Hurricane Teddy is threatening Bermuda and we just can't get a weather window to get our boats over to Annapolis, MD. 2020 is a really crazy year between Covid19 and the fires in California and the hurricanes in the east.

• how2fishhow2fish Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

One of my best friends lives on Ono Island he had flooding in his first floor and lost his back yard deck...no power but every one is safe...saw a picture of 161 the road that runs beside Cotton Bayou and there is a 35ft Sportfisherman in the road... be safe and @pgjackson glad to hear you and yours are OK !

• donmedeirosdonmedeiros Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2020

PG, glad to hear you're Okay and hopefully have power. Was wondering this AM how you were doing as I'm 2 hours east of you and still getting soaked by Sally. Always say in storms like this one, "we are fine as long as we can flush the toilet."

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Glad you are OK. Brave move on the boat - waist deep flood water would freak me out...

Keep us updated when you get down time...

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,169 mod
    edited September 2020

Know it was rough especially coming in as a sloooow moving Cat2. Glad you are ok. We over here 90 miles west dodged another one, our time is coming again, went through Katrina not fun....

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Glad you’re ok, PG!

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As others have stated I am glad you’re good pg bro! Been in your neck of the woods once and enjoyed my stay. They had a really good bait shop that I miss

• skidmarksskidmarks Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson ..glad you are safe thanks for posting. I have a group that rented a condo and house Next Thursday-Sun about a mike from FloraBama ... thinking our trip is a no go ...what is your advice %?

Thanks for all the well wishes. The water is receeding and doesn't look like there is any major damage. My main concern now is that the main bridge into Gulf Breeze, (3 Mile Bridge) is knocked out and the backup (Garcon Point) bridge is also damaged. They were rebuilding 3 Mile and several construction barges broke lose and smashed into the bridges. Just learned that the Pensacola Beach bridge (the little one that goes from Gulf Breeze to Pensacola Beach is knocked out as well as the bridge onto NAS Pensacola. This is going to make life very difficult here for a long time.

• dawfanfromalabamdawfanfromalabam Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

House next to mine in Mobile.

• DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate