Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

It's official: Big Ten football to begin season in October

SystemSystem Posts: 10,467 admin
edited September 2020 in Article commenting
imageIt's official: Big Ten football to begin season in October

The Big Ten is expected to begin its season in mid-October, just more than two months after it had canceled its season on Aug, 11 on account of concerns related to COVID-19

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

An 8 game schedule versus 10 for all other conferences.. The path to the playoffs was just made even easier for the little10.

• Options
  • Options
    dawgfan623dawgfan623 Posts: 110 ✭✭✭ Junior

They better not be eligible for the CPF only playing only 8 games. If they are that straight pasture patty!

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

8 games.... and right into the playoffs huh?

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Ohio State will be the No 1 or No 2 seed. They just couldn't do without the TV money and being embarrassed by the SEC and ACC. I wonder how long the pac 12 will be regarded as a "power" conference.

• Options

This may have been the conferences plan the entire time..to make sure the conference has a fresher team than the rest for the playoffs. I wouldn't put it past the little10 officials to be that sneaky, and underhanded.

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I could deal with a one game variance in total length of schedule. But 8 games? Is that 8 games plus a championship game? Even then, the Big Ten would have two fewer games to deal with injuries and fatigue.

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wonder, how will the CFP look at a loss in an 8 game season? Would that loss be weighted the same as 10 game teams? Will they also factor in length of schedule with SOS?

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2020

8 games plus a BIG Championship game leaves no open weekends for makeups and no time before the playoffs...this will be a tall order for all teams to accomplish. But, I'd rather see the games if they pull them off safely for all involved.

Sounds like from what I just read that there actually will be 9 games for every team, because the 2nd place teams from each division on the Championship weekend will play each other, the 3rd place teams will play each other, etc.

This WILD college football season ride is going to get even wilder!

• Options
    VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 359 ✭✭✭ Junior

how long before the PAC12 put on their big girl panties and join the party??

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is such political bs. These protocols are what the rest of "us" have been doing since game practices started, and before. Those conferences made their decisions based on political correctness. The virus is real and kills people. But, you can have an action plan or an inaction posture. Glad to be with the front runners.

• Options
    AMIDawgMarkMAMIDawgMarkM Posts: 85 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    AMIDawgMarkMAMIDawgMarkM Posts: 85 ✭✭✭ Junior

The details say if greater than 5% test positive, the entire team sits out a minimum of 7 days. So how many games will be forfeited under this criteria? A lot! So Big 10 “champion” might be 6-0 Ohio State???

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

Laughing...I wish I had a dollar for every Georgia fan who secretly hoped that the Big 10 would not play this year to make it easier for Georgia.......They will not admit to it but they privately went nuts when the Big 10 said they were going to play ......Me? I welcome all the competition and hopes everyone plays......In any case Didn't the SEC play 8 games until this year......In a few years for Georgia that meant 3 cupcakes and Tech