Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Well, Sally beat the crap out of Pensacola

Comments

• 1982Dawg1982Dawg Posts: 38 ✭✭✭ Junior

Boat House in Destin, most docks were underwater on the Harbor.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My mom lives in Pensacola, about a block from the beach. Her house was seriously damaged, especially the roof. She said it sounded like a plane was landing on her roof all night long.

• how2fishhow2fish Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just saw a picture of Perdio Key, there is a Marina on the intercoastal waterway with a pretty good Oyster Bar ..there is currently a great big sailboat in the Oyster Bar..lots of wind damage as well as flooding. Best of luck to all of you folks affected.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It was pretty wild driving back from the country in central west GA last night. Nothing like the coast of course.

They canceled school this am for the kids.... Makes me wonder how much and for what reason they'll be calling out of work in 10 years.

And I have a curiosity that needs satisfying. Why is there no lightning/thunder in a hurricane? It might be towards the center, but every time I'm on the outskirts of a hurricane it's just relentless wind and rain. There's never any thunder. With all that movement an energy I've always found that peculiar when compared to a summer storm. Any meteorologists out there that can explain that one?

• deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 1,595 mod

@pgjackson

Glad your safe and your house is intact. Do you know how bad Navarre was hit? Are you going to have to go all the way to 87 and then up to I-10? I can't think of another way to get over to Pensacola if all those bridges are out.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lightning and thunder are produced by vertical winds while hurricanes have almost entirely horizontal winds.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ah ha! I was kind of wondering if it had something to do with how high the front went up, or something along those lines. Thanks Yale

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No problem. The vertical winds cause water and ice to slam into each other creating a lot of friction which leads to a charge imbalance which creates lightning. Same concept as rubbing a balloon on your head to make your hair stand up.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That is currently the only way to get to Pensacola from Gulf Breeze or Pensacola Beach right now. The 3 Mile Bridge is missing a huge section and Garcon Point took a hit from one of the many drifting barges. Last time a barge hit the 3 Mile Bridge in 1989 the bridge was shut down for 8 months. I am bracing for the mother of all traffic jams along the 87.

• GradyDawg85GradyDawg85 Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson and @deutcshland_dawg - and I read where some local politician said 3 Mile Bridge will be repaired and reopened within 30-60 days. I sincerely hope he's right, but as the saying around here goes, "I don't think that will age well." Sounds to me like he's drinking from the same delusion tap as Gator fans are for the upcoming season.

BTW and on the lighter side, glad you were able to protect your boat (Sea Fox?) from the one that was floating free. Really like that top/tower you have.

edited September 2020

Yeah, when they said the bridge would be down for a month or so, I laughed. It will probably take a month just to clean up the Section that fell in the water. Plus there is a huge crane laying across it unrelated to the collapse. I'm guessing maybe 7-8 months minimum. The good news is that the Garçon Point Bridge is now open. That will help a lot as long as they drop the $5 toll.

You have a good eye. It is a SeaFox. It's unbranded right now because the old decals were pretty banged up and new ones are on the way. My favorite thing about it is the T-Top. That is money! Didn't like it at first, but I love it

• dawfanfromalabamdawfanfromalabam Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And we’re 60 miles on the west side of the storm - the “calmer” side.

@dawfanfromalabam - just beyond scary; glad you and yours came through ok.

This is a great article on all the barges that broke lose. If you didn't know, the old 3 Mile Bridge is being replaced. If you have ever been to Pensacola Beach you have driven across this bridge. Construction has been going on for about 2 years with about another year to 2 years remaining (they are way behind schedule). There are a bunch of construction barges with huge cranes all up and down the 3 miles. During the hurricane 8 of those barges broke lose and drifted all over Pensacola Bay. This article shows where they ended up. Kind of funny and kind of sad.

https://www.pnj.com/story/news/2020/09/16/pensacola-bridge-barge-hurricane-sally-3-mile-bridge-pictures/3474848001/

@pgjackson - thanks for the bridge pics - those are intense.

Recognizing your boat is easy when you spend as much time as I do on boats.com and boattrader.com, especially looking at dual consoles.

Dual consoles are kind of rare around here. Center consoles are the most popular. I love my DC. The seating is so much better than a CC.

FYI, if anyone had plans on vacationing on Pensacola Beach in the next year, you might want to go somewhere else. They are now reporting that the 3 Mile Bridge repairs are going to take about a year. A lot more damage than they expected. The Bob Sikes Bridge which goes from Gulf Breeze to the beach suffered foundation washout and needs extensive repairs. Only residents are allowed on PB indefinitely. The bridge contractor lost 20 barges in the storm. 20. Some hit the bridge, some washed up in people's backyards, some just ran aground in the bay. It is going to take a long time to get back to normal. Forget about Perdido and Orange Beach, AL also. Those locations took the worst beating. We still don't know the full extent of the damage there.

Yep. No major damage. Just some water leaks in the roof. Fortunately, I don't have to use any of the bridges for work. I work in Ft. Walton. Those people who live in Gulf Breeze/PB and work in Pensacola (and vice versa) are screwed. Their normal 15 minute commute just turned into an hour+ long drive without traffic. With traffic it can be several hours.

My wife is a Realtor so she will be impacted. Most of her business is in Gulf Breeze and PB anyway, but she does a fair amount of business in Pensacola. She had a client this weekend who was flying in from California who wanted to look at condos on Perdido. My wife told her "first, you know we just had a hurricane blow through, right? Second, you can't even get to Perdido right now because the roads are closed. Third, we don't even know if those condos you want to see are even there any more." She still insisted on looking at condos. My wife gave up and referred her to another agent.