Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Game Ball: Stetson Bennett delivers, 'Mailman' bails out Bulldogs

SystemSystem Posts: 10,473 admin
edited September 2020 in Article commenting
imageGame Ball: Stetson Bennett delivers, 'Mailman' bails out Bulldogs

Georgia football offense got a big boost from redshirt junior quarterback Stetson Bennett on Saturday, rallying for a 37-10 win at Arkansas

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stetson looked sharp. We will need more of that next week.

• Options
    97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It is so great to see Bennett come through in the clutch. I'm glad he had a good outing after waiting so long to get a chance.

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

That **** mail man, congratulations,

• Options
    Erks_ShadowErks_Shadow Posts: 14 ✭✭ Sophomore

Special teams were looking good overall. I think that guy we hired away from Alabama is going to be alright.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Start Bennett next week. Not Mathis. Bennett is a seasoned QB at least. We need to score early against Auburn. They put up some points today! Their weakness is their defense. That matches up with UGA better. UGA's defense should hold its own. I feel a tad better after the second half beat down. Why is UGA always so slow to start? JT Daniels is still a question mark? Even if cleared....how good is the knee?

GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    LakeSinclairLakeSinclair Posts: 23 ✭✭ Sophomore

If J.T. isn't yet cleared from a knee injury that occurred over a year ago, why would we think that he'll conveniently heal up enough this week to get the OK - or next week, or the next, or next month? Against Auburn, the offense will need the confidence that they finally developed in the second half today. J.T.'s return is uncertain and as of now, Stetson's the man.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Another game ball should go to Jake Camarda... perhaps even more taken for granted than Bennett, and Georgia's best player today. Go Dawgs!!

• Options
    randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

they won..so could’ve been worse. But first game jitters and rust included, you can see this O is not explosive at either the OL or skill positions. There is literally no excuse for the 1st hall O. This team currently lacks heart, passion and leadership...and more importantly a QB despite Stetson’s admirable heroics. Even marginal improvement gives us at least 3 loses this year...something better change fast or this season is a rebuilding one. I’m a loyal Dawg fan but I can’t deny what I saw today.

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thank you, Stetson Bennitt!

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Was it the O-line, or are the backs just not up to the task?

• Options
    WayxATLdawg89WayxATLdawg89 Posts: 87 ✭✭ Sophomore

Where are all of the fans dogging Jamie Newman?? Clearly his concerns were legit.

Jamie, please come back. Its not too late to opt in again....

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hope Kirby put Mathis back in the game to preserve Bennett for Auburn. If he insists on playing Mathis because of his "story" then we are right back to CMR. All I needed to know about Mathis was seeing him use his 6'4" body to casually step out of bounds on an important third down a yard from the first down marker. This in opposition to Bennett using every inch of his 5'11" frame to fight for a two point conversion. I had much rather see Bennett complete a 20 yard pass with his marginal arm than see Mathis throw a 70 yard incompletion not in the same zip code as his receiver.

• Options
    BestofBreedBestofBreed Posts: 117 ✭✭✭ Junior

It was his first meaningful snaps in college and it was a road start w/ an incredibly sloppy opening for the whole team. Stetson was needed to calm things down, but I thin that first half was just as much about how sloppy the whole team looked than Mathis. Almost every single good play by him was negated by some sort of penalty and every drive w/ him stalled by an untimely penalty.

I wouldn't give up on Mathis yet. His talent was obvious today even though we didn't get to see it showcased in a positive light today.

• Options
    BestofBreedBestofBreed Posts: 117 ✭✭✭ Junior

Right. I'm truly hoping they held him out thinking they could beat Ark without him. Otherwise, as you said, what reason is there to think he's going to be healthy enough to play soon.

The sad thing is if he were held out just as a precaution you have to wonder how he and the team will look vs. Auburn even IF he's able to go. As we saw today, rust is a real thing, especially for someone who basically missed all of last season due to injury. Why are we thinking we can just slide him in and he's going to play well right away? Also, not he looked great at USC...

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mathis did more than his share to make the offense look sloppy. I'm happy that Mathis is healthy after his serious medical issues but I saw nothing that indicated he is ready to lead a championship caliber team. Eason's first meaningful snaps after high school were against SEC defenses which resulted in a five loss season. That is exactly where these Dawgs are headed if Mathis remains the starter.

• Options
    JoeFannJoeFann Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited September 2020

Obviously, the coaching staff will decide who starts against Auburn. I appreciate Bennett bringing the "juice." He was poised, smart and made great decisions. Does that remind you of anyone? Mathis is a lot more than a great story. The kid is long, has a great arm, and can flat-out fly. Does that remind you of anyone? He was making his first start in an SEC road game after a long layoff, in a new system, along with everyone else. While we don't know yet what Carson Beck has, clearly each of the other three have different skill sets, which means the offense will look different when each is in, playing to their strengths. Mathis has much more speed than the other three, and an arm that is close to Daniels' equal. Daniels has the most experience at the P5 level, has a cannon, and has played in similar offenses. He won't run as much, but can escape--or at least he could before the injury. Bennett is athletic, but not overly fast. The weakest arm of the three, it will be difficult to take the kind of frequent shots Moncken likes. Admittedly, Mathis made mistakes in the first half, but nobody was particularly good on offense. I'm reminded of John McKay's presser following an particularly **** Tampa Bay loss. The reporter asked what he thought of his offense's execution. McKay replied, "I'd be in favor of it." I think it's a bit early to form a firing squad. We should all look forward to the usual large leap forward that teams make between Games 1 and 2, regardless of who is under center. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    WildmanSlayerWildmanSlayer Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior

Mathis hasn't played in a live game since high school, and it showed, remember, Mathis is a red shirt freshman that has went through major surgery, I wish he could have had a year to play behind Jake, and gotten some in game experience, but he couldn't, so here we are with Bennett, or possibly JT, if he ever gets released, those are the only two that we have that have had in game college game experience, so were going to have to play with what we have for the time being, and maybe one of them can get us through the season, and into the playoffs. Hopefully

• Options
    WoodstockDawgWoodstockDawg Posts: 250 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Seeing too much we aren't going to be any good and this is going to be a rough season. To that I point to CKS history of improvement from game 1 to 2 (as most teams do), but more specifically the adjustments made at half to clean up penalties and correct the offensive line (very sloppy 1st half). Time in the film room and a week of practice having that film and we will be fine. Thankful we had Camarda to help us through early struggles as well.