Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Kirby Smart: Georgia football quarterback JT Daniels will be cleared for Auburn game

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited September 2020 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart: Georgia football quarterback JT Daniels will be cleared for Auburn game

ATHENS — Georgia transfer quarterback JT Daniels will be cleared for the Bulldogs game against Auburn. Georgia coach Kirby Smart made the announcement at his Monday press conference. “JT will be cleared, but I don’t know how much that changes the picture in terms of reps and development, we'll be looking at everybody

Read the full story here

Comments

• NashDawgNashDawg Posts: 63 ✭✭✭ Junior

Seems like a little lip service from coach.....I bet he’s a green light for starting Saturday.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The usual tell you something but say little, Smart. I say Daniels will likely start, Stet backing him up. Kirby isn't exactly throwing bouquets to Daniels, though. He has mentioned Carson Beck heavily before as well. Stet speaks for himself this time. He proved his worth....but...against a cellar team. You won't pull the same rabbit out of the hat with the #7 Tigers. No way. UGA must improve exponentially. From here on into November...UGA will need to live up to its pre-season hype. No 100 yd penalty games and miscues. Will JT be a major factor.....we'll see.

• dawg4lyfedawg4lyfe Posts: 22 ✭✭ Sophomore

So is Nathan Priestley no longer an option at in the QB room? Haven't heard his name in a very long time.

• NashDawgNashDawg Posts: 63 ✭✭✭ Junior

Agreed.... you hope the speculation about Newman’s exodus was related to JT being a viable threat for the starting job. We’ll find out Saturday I guess. recently UGA is always 1-2 deficiencies away from a complete team, which usually keeps us from winning the big one.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2020

Well, this can't be bad news, and may just be great news. Time will tell. It's fortunate/convenient that the clearance came so early in the week. I'm hoping and expecting that Daniels will get the bulk of the first team reps this week - gotta get as full an evaluation as possible, and Mathis and Bennet have been able to show quite a bit more in that regard up to this point. Plus, unless he, too, simply isn't ready, it's looking like Daniels is going to be the best option going forward. Only one way to find that out.

• tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I respect Coach Smart in not declaring a starter at QB for Saturday. Keep the Barn guessing and make them prepare for 4 QB's instead of just one.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

2 star walk-ons can't start for top 4 DIv.1 team, right? But they can come off the bench and save your poor choice in starters.

• jvillebiljvillebil Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

If Bennett was 6'3" he'd be starting hands down. He doesn't fit the QB protocol everyone wants today but he can flat out ball. If he starts JT I imagine he'll be on a short leash with Bennett waiting in the wings. I don't think Mathis is ready yet. I see him transferring after this year. Defense needs to play lights out again.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There are always a ton of players you don't hear about on a football team just based on how things work out. We have Muschamp, Priestley and another Redshirt Freshman Kirksey. None of the 3 are likely to be starters.

But, no different compared to other positions. We have (9) Running Backs, (10) Tight Ends and TWENTY Wide Receivers. Crazy.

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Glad to hear that Daniels is cleared!

I think Bennet at this point is clearly entrenched at No.1 or No.2.

It will be both interesting and telling to see who gets the start, and if needed who's next off the bench.

Most every SEC team will need two capable QB's before this 10 game SEC schedule is finished.

GOOOOODAWGS!

• ColoradoSkiDawgColoradoSkiDawg Posts: 35 ✭✭ Sophomore

I'd say start Bennett and bring in Daniels later in the game as a change of pace and to give him live reps. All based on how game goes.

Bennett deserves at least one start based on last week.

• 97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I also think Bennett has earned a start. I was glad to see Mathis come back in late in the Ark. game, and I wouldn't mind all 3 QBs get reps in Auburn if the game allows.

• Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Dwan can't shoulder all the blame, the offense couldn't get out if their own way. Dwan will get another shot but someone has to lock in and take it.

Ok I'm calling it. Just watched JT's high school highlights and he was very impressive. 55 with ease, and more impressively just his awareness of his receivers down field. Never seemed to panic. He leads us to the SEC championship game. if he stays healthy.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My prediction is that Bennett will start and Mathis will serve as backup. Both will be on very short leashes, however. And if they both falter or team looks sluggish under both, then in comes Daniels. Could be wrong, of course, but I just don't believe Kirby would start Daniels as there would be too much immediate pressure on him to be the "savior." By holding him back and playing him off the bench, he can still be the savior and if for some reason he doesn't perform well, then all the fans and media will just say, "well Kirby didn't really have any other choice but to play Daniels."

• LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Stetson is the one who can make sure the OL gets set right, and depending on how the game goes Dwan and then JT.

Given AU's propensity to hurt our QBs, I don't want them to chance JT until they get a sense of how the OL will protect him.

• TrippTripp Posts: 512 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

For me, not knowing how ready JT is physically, I would give the nod to Stetson. Allow him the first 2 or 3 series to see how well the offense performs under his leadership. Press the defense to be on their A game so as to allow Stetson those 2 or 3 series. If all goes well, keep Stetson in there and allow D,wan some time with specific designed plays to fit his skill set. I don't think D,wan is suited well in the pocket. I think you need to put him in the RPO and get him on the move outside the pocket. He didn't look to comfortable in the pocket. Utilize his skillset. If all goes well, get Daniels 2,3 or 4 series. We have to get him ready and in the flow. It's already crunch time. If Stetson is having a bad day, jump straight to Daniels while mixing in Mathis.

That's just my opinion but so far, Georgia has not paid me one nickel for my thoughts.

I like Stetson's story and his moxy. He's the little train that could. That said, if JT is healthy and can run around without fear of getting hurt, then once he gets in he's not coming back out. He's just too good. 5 star coming out of HS and just watched his freshman game at USC against Fresno St. He was like 11-12 his first 12 passes. Tossing dimes. Quick release, nice crisp spirals, excellent vision down field. If we can get that guy going, it will be enough.