Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Kirby Smart updates Georgia quarterback JT Daniels' progress leading up to Auburn battle

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited September 2020 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart updates Georgia quarterback JT Daniels' progress leading up to Auburn battle

Georgia football quarterback JT Daniels is off to a good start this week in practice according to coach Kirby Smart, who is bracing his team for Auburn

Read the full story here

Comments

• plrdawgplrdawg Posts: 157 ✭✭✭ Junior

I like Mathis, but he needs some experience, and on field coaching, during review of film. He can't start in shot-gun formation, drop 3 yards, roll out and find nothing,,, then run out of bounds 13 yards behind the line of scrimmage. He has to throw it in the stands and not take a 13 yd loss on the play... This is simple stuff he should know, before he starts an SEC game... He will improve, but do we have time to develop him? Fromm instinctively knew these things as a true freshman. Same ol story. Do we play the guy with the most potential, or the guy that will reduce mistakes now, help us win now in current situations. I don't know, I'm not the coach that's watching them every day

• BestofBreedBestofBreed Posts: 117 ✭✭✭ Junior

Fromm did not instinctively know those things. He made plenty of boneheaded plays his freshman year, which is why they never put the game in his hands and relied on Sony and Nick. That's the difference, we had a dominant run game and didn't have a million penalties. Also I'm pretty sure Jake's first action was against a cupcake not another SEC school. Totally different situations.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not willing to give up on Mathis, but I suspect we've seen the last game he'll start for the Dawgs. I re-watched the game and his performance wasn't quite as bad as my initial reaction (keep in mind on that run where he could've made a 1st down, he needed to run like 15 yards) but my issue is that he has had 18 months on campus to work out those "freshman mistakes". I'm not trying to criticize as he's been through a whole lot and EVERYBODY would love to have him be our #1 guy, but I don't see it happening.

I haven't watched a clip of JT play post injury, but what I've seen from USC was very promising.

• BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

Just a word on Beck......Frank evaluation of his talent and skills are not good.....I've heard that he is far worst then Mathis. His senior year in High School was a disaster.......Probably next year you will see hm transfer to a lower level school

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just my own opinion here, obviously. It's not that Bennett did anything wrong. He performed admirably. And yet, I'd be lying if I said I have no trouble envisioning an SEC title and more with Bennett at the helm. Something about the way his attempts at going deep played out just leaves me wondering how successful the offense can really be in running this gauntlet that's upon us. I'm reluctant to say this, as I do like the guy and don't want this to come off as disparaging.

Daniels has a higher ceiling. He also has a season's worth of experience as a starter on a power 5 program, and I would think any advantage in Bennett's familiarity with the UGA program is largely canceled out by the fact that a new system is being installed under a new OC. It just seems to me that it makes the most sense to find out now, without any further delay, what Daniels can do against SEC competition. If he looks decent in his first game, it stands to reason he'll improve with more experience, and he should be the guy going forward.

But as always, we won't know until we see it.

• vannvann Posts: 108 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think we had better hope JT Daniels is doing great things in practice because based on what I saw from the likes of UF and Miss St, our defense will be tested and we will need an offense to put up a lot of points. I don't blame it all on Mathis, but good QB play can make up for a lot of mistakes taking place around him. Stetson is solid, but I just don't see him being able to stretch the field and that is what hurt us a lot last year with Fromm who has a better arm than Bennet does. I think we can win a lot of games with Bennet, but I just don't see us in a playoff with him at QB.

BestofBreed Posts: 103 ✭✭✭ Junior

Fromm did not instinctively know those things. He made plenty of boneheaded plays his freshman year, which is why they never put the game in his hands and relied on Sony and Nick. That's the difference, we had a dominant run game and didn't have a million penalties. Also I'm pretty sure Jake's first action was against a cupcake not another SEC school. Totally different situations

Fromm's fist Game was Notre Dame on the road

correction, Fromm's first start was Notre Dame,,, he did play in a "cupcake" the week prior when Eason was injured

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well guys, this is not a "cupcake" game: "Smart is looking at who matches up better with our current crew of receivers and backs. He has JT Daniels fully in the mix now. "Practicing more"..good words. That should help the decision-making process easier. As I was thinking about the Auburn game, my negative mind said, what if Daniels starts and goes down first series? That will rule him out period. Then it's Mathis and Bennett..,maybe Carson for the season. Not a good thought. So, hopefully Daniels can take a hit...he is going to get one. He will have a target on his back. I wish I were not so uncertain about the Dawgs OL. Matt Luke has get to come through. So little time.

GO DAWGS!!!