Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football report card: Kirby Smart and his coaching staff prove fast learners

SystemSystem Posts: 10,480 admin
edited October 2020 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football report card: Kirby Smart and his coaching staff prove fast learners

Georgia football coach Kirby Smart and his coaches had plenty to correct after the opening week win at Arkansas, and it's clear they did their homework for Auburn

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Impressive win, although I would have like more points when our defense was shutting auburn down. This is a rivalry game and I am not a believer in slowing down for a half. We threw almost none in the second half. I wanted a full on beat-down when the opportunity was there. Yes, we did have something to prove.

And I don't like speaking ill of a kid but, dang it! Matt Landers needs to get on the stick. I know he has talent, otherwise he would not be there but when it is game time he always shows half-hearted effort. There is absolutely NO highlight reel input from him. I believe he has the absolute ability and I really wish he would read things like this and get mad and go out and do something about it. He had an easy touchdown on a perfect ball and he flat slowed down.

Again, I have no doubt the kid has talent but he needs to start using that talent.

• Options
    budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Agreed. It would not of hurt my feelings to see the offense attack more, and score 14 more points. Taking the foot off the gas, I'm afraid is going to come back and hurt Ga. 1 thing I know for sure, is if UT has the chance to run up the score, they will. So I don't understand why Kirby is so reluctant to do it. Hiding plays? Well, isn't that what the O.C. is for, to make new plays?

• Options
    CapeCawdDawgCapeCawdDawg Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman
    edited October 2020

"Azeez Ojulari had an impressive profane with 5 tackles and 3 TFLs." Appreciate you getting these grades out quickly, Mike, and mostly completely agree with them, but don't let the robot writers win! I'm looking at you auto-correct ...

• Options
    10DAWG10DAWG Posts: 254 ✭✭✭ Junior

I second the Matt Landers comments below, he has some God given talent most can only wish for. I hope he realizes it before it's too late.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Anybody else think Mathis looked sad and defeated? Maybe it's just his game face but he looked like he knew that he wasn't going to start another game again.

I would've liked to see JT take over the 4th quarter just because I haven't seen him play yet, but Bennett showed his stuff.

I think the 2nd half was more of a time clock burner which is the smartest thing you can do with a sizable lead against a good team.

UT is nothing to laugh at, but he'll, they've beaten us even when they ****. Will be interesting.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, Mathis' "body language" was puzzling... looked as though he was thoroughly bored with having to play those final minutes. I know looks can be deceiving, as the kid must be absolutely thrilled to be in there for any snaps whatsoever given (a) he's on one of the best teams in the country, and (b) he was at grave risk of never playing again not long ago... but it wasn't a good look, and I suspect we won't see that again. Keep going and keep growing, D'Wan!

One pleasant surprise over these first two games is the agility of Zeus. We normally think of him as a north/south power runner (and he, indeed, fits that bill), but the dude also has decent moves, appears to have solid vision, and has deceptive Chubb-like speed. I wasn't isolating him on pass plays so much... how's his pass blocking? In any case, he's got a chance to be pretty special. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    DawginNCDawginNC Posts: 7 ✭ Freshman

It’s interesting you mention Dwan’s body language, because I was struck by it too. He looked totally bored being out on the field. I’m sure he was frustrated they only let him hand the ball off, and I wish he would have been allowed to toss it a couple times, but last week was a mess. His body language/facial expressions though suggested he could care less about being on the field. It’s sad that he may not recognize that his playing time right now is intended as a teaching tool. He’s not ready right now, and he never will be if he doesn’t take his time as a backup seriously.

• Options
    DawginNCDawginNC Posts: 7 ✭ Freshman

So impressed on both sides of the ball! That defense looks hungry, and their energy and enthusiasm is contagious! Hats off to the offense too! Stetson showed real poise, but it was that run game that really shined. Zamir White is a beast! Cook and Milton looked good too. The way the O line pushed their D line off the ball was impressive. All around a great effort. I would love to have opened it up even more in the second half, but I’m hoping that they are trying to keep some things under wraps in anticipation for Alabama. So proud of these guys!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UGA's OL from puppies to DAWGS!!! Little Stetson all over the field from the ground and the air. Impressive! Zeus didn't need his GPS this week,..found his way Home twice!!! D'Wan? I am sure Smart and he will have a sit-down soon. The defense!!! Contain Bo Nix and you WIN! Check. It looked like UGA was playing Ark. (second half.) Kudos to Luke and Monken!! Ya done good! LeCounte.....got a really questionable call and ejection. Pickens?....maybe next week. Need more from him! Lots of other players looked much better this week...coaching! Coach Smart...A+!

GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 348 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Speaking of the coaches being fast learners, please please please please please don't go conservative and rely on defense this year against Alabama and Florida. It It worked against Auburn, but it would be so demoralizing to watch our play-not-to-lose style let an opponent back into the game again.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I too noted the look on Mathis's face like "you won't let me start, but you want me mop up." Like he was being demeaned. I hope we're all reading too much into it, but it honestly seemed that way. Great win. It seemed we found an O-line or a blocking scheme that worked.

I can't remember last time the RB's had a chance to actually run through an opening instead of trying to find one.

• Options
    tomdialwestervilletomdialwesterville Posts: 19 ✭ Freshman

Whoever makes these evaluations needs to learn football. Stetson Bennett was excellent, a sure fire A, maybe an A+. And that can be said of the offensive line. Not only did they account for the ground game, they gave Bennett excellent protection.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I too was mildly disturbed by Mathis' body language. He looked like he was ready to sign his transfer papers before each snap.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Mike, I feel like you nailed it with your player insights. Again, I too thought Matt Landers completely gave up on that deep ball play. I literally thought that if Pickens were in the exact same position on that play that he would have sped up and easily made the catch for the biggest gain of the night. Landers literally gave up on the play, I was surprised the announcers never mentioned it. I am certain Coach Smart will ask the young man what happened after reviewing that play. To be honest with you, I have seen all I need to see of Landers in prime time. I do not give up on our guys easily but I have seen enough. Also, for the record, Kearis Jackson looks like a different player this year. The kid has made a huge leap from last year. I clearly had it wrong on him.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with most of these grades and comments, except not understanding how QB doesn't merit at least an A-, considering they had no turnovers and put up 27 points (could have had more with a makeable field goal and a little more hustle from Matt Landers). Also, don't understand how anyone could say the offensive line wasn't dominant. We gained an average of 7 yards on first down and many of those were on running plays. (Still think Hill can do better with his snaps; they were a little high at times. And I agree with others who say that Mathis' body language left a lot to be desired. I thought the same thing last week when he came back in the game at Arkansas. We all get he's extremely disappointed, but NO ONE on that team has a right to be more disappointed than Stetson Bennett had to have been leading up to this season. But he kept his head up, his mouth closed and when it was his time, he took advantage. If Mathis doesn't get it together, he may not get another chance).

I personally thought the penalty on LeCount, though close, was fair. He got him with his helmet. But thankfully, there was no dropoff when his backup came in.

But we're still a work in progress so hoping Dawg fans won't overreact to a good win, just like we shouldn't have overreacted to Arkansas. Things to work on include our third-down defense (it was loose in the second half); Podlesny has to prove he can kick long-range field goals; Bennett can be even more accurate, particularly when he throws to Pickens -- just get it close to that guy; and coaches need to check, too. When we had a first and goal from the 4 in the first half, we threw it three straight times after we had gotten down there by just running it down their throats. Why did we go all air raid at that moment?

But good win. Glad we're looking more like a dominant team. Bring on those Volunteers. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The crew on the SEC Network hated the Targeting fouls. I agree to a point. The Auburn player though led with the crown of his helmet. LeCount led with his shoulder but when the receivers drops his head to a lower position there is no way to anticipate that in real speed. It would seem that there was no intent on LeCounts part to spear the receiver, it was shoulder to shoulder first then the helmets connected. It's football, not two hand touch.

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I thoroughly enjoyed whupin up on Auburn. As well as we played we left a lot on the field, the missed sacks, and the untimely penalties took away from our output. On the flip side we got a few breaks where better throws by Nix would've changed the narrative.