Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Unraveling Kirby Smart's enlightening defensive rant

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited October 2020 in Article commenting
imageUnraveling Kirby Smart's enlightening defensive rant

Georgia football coach Kirby Smart was asked for his spin on how defense's can catch up with offenses in an era where rules are geared toward higher scores

Read the full story here

Comments

• 97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

“It doesn’t mean your gonna stop them,” Smart said, “but it does mean you can defend them better than everyone else, and It means you better be able to score yourself.”

It’ll be interesting to see how we move toward being able to score the points needed.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Best way to slow down a high powered passing attack is to not give the QB time to think straight. It starts with the line of scrimmage . Win that and you put fear in the QB. Give any Div 1 good, not great, QB enough time to get comfortable and if he has the receivers, they can score enough to beat you if you don't do the same.. BAMA's O-Line handled our D-line in the 2nd half. Some of that was predicated on turnovers and momentum shift. A lot was because as CKS said. "all their O-line will play in the League." Yeh, and all their receivers, their RB and QB.

As the game shifted to Offensive skill players. CKS got caught flat footed and is trying to catch up. It's hard to believe with all of our recruiting success we've failed in this area. As I have said before and it bears repeating. Our best receiver last season before injuries was a 5th year transfer(not in our system) and a surprise Pickens flip, which no one saw coming. Seriously? How many top 3 recruiting classes and that's what we end up with?

Blaylock when healthy was pretty good but not a Jaylen Waddle or Jerry Jeudy type 1st round talent. That left us with a highly over-rated D-Rob(another transfer) and Matt Landers. I mean in what world do you end up with Landers doing anything other than being 3rd string or on the scout team? He certainly couldn't sniff the field at BAMA. But he is or was someone we had to rely on, or try to rely on. The difference in BAMA's, Oklahoma's, LSU's , Ohio State's or even Clemson's receivers and ours is huge.

Give us a Jerry Jeudy and a Henry Ruggs or a Jamar Chase the past 3 years and tell me we don't win a NC.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2020

Agree with Saban, but a good defense is imperative to make it to the playoffs and succeed. Look at all the past Big 12 high flying offenses that could rake up the points against all the weak defenses. Last to score usually won. Other than occasionally Oklahoma, not a single Big12 team has made the playoffs. You've got to have a better than average defense to succeed.

• Trey33Trey33 Posts: 133 ✭✭✭ Junior

We're doomed Cks doesn't get it we have the old Alabama recipe. I guess we're stuck being the Wisconsin of the sec u know good but always coming in 2nd place

• jamboogiejamboogie Posts: 186 ✭✭✭ Junior

Defense is great but we must put points on the board.. Not FG's but TD's. Convert 3rd and 1 on regular basis.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“The game is built to entertain and score points, nobody wants a 9-6 game, they don’t enjoy that,” Smart said. “I think it’s a great thing, (and) I think it’s a tough, physical toughness. I think it’s a rock ‘em sock ‘em game, (and) I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that, it can be a great game and be 9-6, but nobody is entertained by that."

Smart is still hanging on to defensive play, low scoring...lots of FGs. "Rockem, sockem". ..so Pickens , Kearis, etc watch the game from the sidelines...Monken quits, no longer recruit WRs again and business as usual. Is that what he is saying? Later he says, well, you must score points. Yeah. I do wish him well. Back to RBU? I don't care about my ranking on this comment. Is this why Bennett is still behind center? Smart does not like to build to entertain and score points???? I'm with Mike, KY will be a ground game with a smattering of strategic tosses to WRs and Cook. That is all that is needed! FL..you will lose with this outmoded philosophy...and surely will lose against Bama again...! I get thumbs down on these type comments but that is how I feel. If you play high scoring offenses..your defense won't work! Saban proved it. Solid proof. You scheme against the defense and game over. Kirby is a defense guy....not offense. Saban knows him well. He lauded UGA defense but said no obstacle to a high-flying offense. Then proved it.

• PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Seems the rules changes always favor offenses. Maybe time to level the playing field, a bit. Eliminate the RPO, and outlaw the passing plays that, effectively, set a pick on a defensive back.

You have to be careful what your read into what Saban said. As any coach, but Saban especially. He's posturing for head to head recruiting match ups. "Well they're a defensive team over at UGA" to top notch receiver recruits. "They like to run the ball and eat clock, here at Alabama we like to throw and score fast." Where would you like to play?

I'm telling you, as I've said before, that CKS needs to get out in front of this or Saban is going to pick him like a chicken on the best receivers, and QB's.

CKS needs to choose his words carefully when talking about the Offense and his philosophy about scoring. He's going to come across as a Neanderthal. Ground and pound might recruit RB's but it won't sell to the Jerry Jeudy's of the world. And that's one of the main reasons we couldn't "boat race" with anyone if we wanted to.

• PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If you turn the ball over 3 times and give the opposing offense a short field, you will give up points. You can't expect defense to produce three and outs, every time. Offense has to help the defense. UGA offense has been anemic, at best.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No, at their best they scored 32 points in a half against an SEC opponent. That's far from anemic.

Otherwise, I agree with your assessment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAWJhzfuOUE the future looks bright, if we can keep him

• DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Great coaches adapt. An example that many will not like: the Patriots (not this year, still working that out). One game they're throwing for 300+ yards, next game, all of a sudden, it's pound the ball. No. 1 / you take away your opponent's strength (like ALA blanketing George and Kearius) and No. 2/ You attack the defense's cracks (in our case, the inability to cover one-on-one, despite our bragging, and the inability to adjust coverages - supposedly Kirby's strength). Kirby's verbiage is just ****. "We want to dominate." Well, welcome to the NFL, where you have to actually coach. Or Alabama, which is also dominating. Duh.

Football looks like a big, bad, smash-mouth game. But it's as much chess as it is chest-to-chest.

I expect Kirby will, eventually, be a terrific coach. He's certainly a great recruiter (of players and coaches). But as far as building a dynasty, not until he loses the frat-boy jumping around and becomes a serious football coach.

Lombardi, Knoll, Bryant, Belichick, Shembechler, Hayes, Royal, Osborne, Shula, Saban, Paterno, Parseghian, yes even Spurrier. Maybe the first step is admitting he's not right about everything. But I doubt that's going to happen.