Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football report card: Bulldogs pass physical Kentucky test

SystemSystem Posts: 10,694 admin
edited November 2020 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football report card: Bulldogs pass physical Kentucky test

Georgia football scored a 14-3 win over Kentucky in a game that saw both teams pound the ball on the ground at one another

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"The injuries on defense could prove costly next Saturday in Florida." They will, believe me. LeCounte is gone...maybe for season That alone is big. What about Jordan Davis? Good grief, those two alone are significant. Then there is Bennett....pitching interception after interception. Five in two games. But he's learning....oh he's learning. Hey, no boat race for Kirby! No sir. Well, Trask is on the money and peaking. Buried Mizzou. Had 318 yds passing....five touchdowns. UGA really has no response... in my opinion at present. The change must be made at QB. Stets has no arm strength it affects his accuracy and length!! I beg Kirby to wake up! We had three excellent prospects..now ...NONE! I guess Bennett can hand off to the backs...positive. Reckon Mathis and JT are incapable..yeah. Still hoping for that elusive miracle.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For mid-term grades, Jake Camarda is at the top of this class. Speaks volumes when your best player so far appears to be your kicker... not exactly the stuff that has other teams shaking in their boots.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2020

I've been careful not to rush to criticism of Smart's handling of the quarteback position. I didn't (and still don't) blame him for Fields' decision to leave. I thought going with Bennett made sense as a stopgap to buy time for Daniels/Mathis/Beck to get ready. But the time for that came and went over the past 2 weeks, and Smart apparently never had any interest in making it happen. We know what we're getting in Bennett, and it's not great. What is Smart afraid will happen by trying someone else? That he'll get a generally ineffectual performance punctuated by multiple turnovers? Heaven forbid!

For the first time since Smart has been here, I find myself pessimistic about the future. My confidence in this man to ever lead Georgia to a national title is presently tumbling down a cliff. I don't want it to be. Please, Kirby, I'm begging. Give me a branch, a root, a rock, SOMETHING to grab onto here.

It feels like a cruel joke. Smart has been arguably the best recruiter in the nation since he's gotten to Athens, and that includes the quarterback talent that he's brought in. He needed an upgrade at the OC position, and he went and got Monken. He had to replace Pittman, and brought in Luke. He built what is probably the best defense in the country. Special Teams looks rock solid. The OL is performing well, despite the recent turnover, and these talented runningbacks appear to be coming into their own. Smart has done everything he needed to do to pave the way for a championship run. But when it came time for the easiest part, he jerked the wheel and veered off into the brush. I just don't understand what's happening.

• Options
    Dogbone1Dogbone1 Posts: 15 ✭✭ Sophomore

It’s been pointed out that Kirby doesn’t seem to have a sense of urgency about the offense, it’s issues, and trials of alternate QB’s. What is that? Because it’s true: Kirby has a very low bar this season and he knows it. Deep down he knows this has been a reset year, particularly the offense. So anything he can accomplish with the same old conservative approach will prevail.

Why is the bar lower than most realize?

1. Covid-19 has created the perfect excuse for any shortfalls
    2. The pre-season projected starting QB “bailed” on Kirby at the last minute
    3. Lack of spring practice especially with a new OC and offense
    4. Shortened practice time when cleared to proceed
    5. No reduction of player eligibility for this season
    6. In his way of thinking about the big picture the lowered bar this year seems to be simply win the SEC EAST.....that is now in serious doubt vs FL.

Bottom line: he KNOWS we cannot beat AL this season and especially now with the defensive injuries mounting. So while there would never be public admission, the approach is to try and conservatively drag ourselves to an SEC East title at best and maybe a second tier bowl game. His job is not yet in jeopardy. Muddle through this season with the same tired approach, and a plan to re-assess the offense in January with Vandergriff. It’s already too late now to fix the issues, to prep another QB, and develop aggressive play calling. This is why the run game and “game manager” QB will persist through the season despite all arguments from fans and analysts alike. and as much as I hate to say, because of a start over next year, lack of implementation of the “Air Raid” this year, and expected departures on defense....our year will not arrive until 2022.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't really follow this reasoning that having an excuse for a mediocre result would prompt him to actively seek out such a result. But I guess it makes as much sense as the problem itself, so sure, maybe that's it.

• Options
    budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited November 2020

JT may be cleared, but I really do believe JT is not ready. Is he nervous, scared (nothing wrong with that after the nasty injury), just tell us. There is no way a walk on is going to be better than a 5*, PERIOD. Just the upside of being able to back the defense away from the line of scrimmage with a deep pass, is worth starting JT. Stetson can't throw the ball deep enough to back the safeties up. With Mathis, I think he may have a concussion (or at least recovering from one), which is pretty serious with just recovering from brain surgery. Even he is a better option if healthy, he runs faster and more elusive and bigger. I'm sure he can throw a screen over the d-line. But something is up, just wish he would admit it.

All this garbage playing on offense, may of just cost Ga the east. The defense got beat up and is not healthy. Just for information, I know there was an off week, but the last 2 games, the defense was on the field for 18 minutes more. Which adds up. I blame CKS for the injuries to the defense because of this.

Maybe he is hiding the "back-up" qb play to spring it on a team that is unprepared for it. Really didn’t want to see him try and act like his "daddy" Saban SMH. Pure embarrassment. But I really hope the comment earlier is not right, that he is using this season as an excuse for poor performance. Newman didn’t leave because of covid, he left because Kirby never said if he was the starter or not. Now if he didn’t earn it, or even played great, then I understand why he didn't. But still, has to be better than what we have now.

go dawgs. (Just not that much enthusiasm with the team right now. And it hurts me to admit that.)

• Options
    Dogbone1Dogbone1 Posts: 15 ✭✭ Sophomore

No offense taken to E_Roc question. But it’s not so much Kirby intentionally trying to actively seek out a subpar result. Just that I think he knows that we don’t have the system and personnel in place to proceed with upgrades especially at this midpoint of the season. Too little too late. And many of us remain unconvinced that he endorses an opened up passing game in the first place. Still seems stuck on staying conservative and happy beating the likes of KY with 14 points. He sees this as a W and at the cost of getting behind in developing the kind of offense for which Monken was hired and which will be required to ever beat AL, Clemson, etc.

Also cannot see how this approach does not end up further harming offensive recruiting especially for blue chip receivers. They all see what’s going on with Pickens, Robertson, etc who aren’t getting many touches and ask why they should bother....