Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Injuries weren’t the only reason Dawgs came up short in another big game

SystemSystem Posts: 10,552 admin
edited November 2020 in Article commenting
imageInjuries weren’t the only reason Dawgs came up short in another big game

Loss to Florida reveals structural deficiencies in Georgia’s program

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2020

Beck's knee? Florida also had several injuries, so I'm not buying the injury excuses. Next man up, time to show why you were so heavily recruited. Florida's players did that, UGA's players didnt..

• Options
    SAVYSAVY Posts: 260 ✭✭✭ Junior

Daniels has a legal issue. Go do your homework on the subject. Unless you are gagged, just like the school. But stop telling us that “he’s not impressing the coaches”. They want to play him. But they aren’t allowed.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This season is over and wasted. We’ll go to a sorry bowl that most of our players won’t play in for fear of getting hurt and we’ll lose to a team that we have no business losing to. Smart better get smart quick and find a way to fix this mess. He’s now 3-2 vs fla, 0-2 vs Lsu and 0-3 vs bama which equals 3-7 in the biggest games we’ve played since he arrived. That ain’t gonna cut it. And we start next season vs clemson. I can already see how that will turn out. “We’ve got to get better.” Ray Goff said that, too.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You're being to hard on Kirby. He did go out and get us a QB. Jamie Newman straight up hosed the UGA program by quitting on us a couple of weeks before the season. DGD he is certainly not. This year is a wash.

• Options
    EastmandawgEastmandawg Posts: 145 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited November 2020

Nice article, probably the best I have ever read from you....and I have been reading them for 100 years.

The article is spot on in my opinion.

• Options

Yeah, good get at qb. Where is he now? Oh yeah, he QUIT. And he got a 2nd option with Daniels, but he didn’t get many reps in preseason because Kirby didn’t think he would be eligible. One big awful mess.

We knew coming into this game with our defensive injuries that our offense would need to make plays to keep them off the field and after the 2nd drive, we couldn’t do that because both of our options at QB have hit their ceiling, or the basement floor would be a better assessment.

• Options
    FalconUGAFanFalconUGAFan Posts: 142 ✭✭✭ Junior

Spot on. Time to stop making excuses for Smart. He is highly paid, has the facilities, and the recruits. Time for him to nut up and figure this out.

• Options
    SWDawg68SWDawg68 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not to be gloom and doom, but they are, who we thought they were, comes to mind.

This is very typical of a Kirby Smart team, it is going to stay this way as long as he is here. He does what he knows and when he does step out and try to be different, it slaps him in the face. Typical outcome, like the 4th and 8 against Alabama and he calls a fake punt and the rest is history. Unless we are head and shoulders above our opponents, this will be the outcome.

Maybe we can generate some momentum next year, but this is the battle cry for UGA, "Maybe Next Year"! 4 decades of next years and still we are without a Natty! It is tough being a Dawg, but why give up now!!!

• Options
    JimmyBobJimmyBob Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

Nice job ignoring Rose Bowl win, SEC championship game, and beating brakes off numerous Top 10 Auburn teams.

• Options

Off and very weird year. Get a grip. Look at Dabo’s first 5 seasons. More than a few butt whoopins there. LSU was dumpster fire during first two seasons of offensive transition before it all came into place (and they’ve reverted, BTW). Plenty of great coaches had a **** on their back for years before winning multiples Osborne, Bowden, Paterno. Coach K and Dean Smith. We’ll be fine. Read Jake Rowe’s article on TOS for some perspective.

• Options

Just Googled. Found absolutely nothing. Share it if you have it, which I serious doubt.

• Options
    randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

Sorry friend but you're in denial. Kirby walked into a program ready to win a Natty and he has underperformed and cause this program to significantly regress from what he inherited. Dabo walked into a mess. Not even a reasonable comparison.

• Options

And the SECCG berth was with several of Richts recruits. Chubb, Michel and others don't return, they never make it that far..

• Options

JimmyBob. The rose bowl win and sec championship was with Richt’s players, not his with the exception being Fromm, and he regressed every year. Every time we played albarn, they were over rated. Why don’t you stop ignoring the facts now, JimmyBob?

• Options
    edited November 2020

What about the losses against teams like Vandy, Carolina and other teams considered inferior than UGA talent wise during those years also??? And I remember auburn beating

UGA senseless in the regular season before the DAWGS got their revenge a few weeks later..

• Options

And how can we be 19-1 vs East teams the last few years when we embarrassingly lost to sc last year? Wouldn’t that be 18-2 or are we not counting the sc game from last year like fla doesn’t recognize the first ever game we beat them in 1915?

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2020

Excellent article as usual Bill. You hit the nail on the head. Structural deficiencies, poor coaching decisions, and really a lack of vision for the future of the program and where college football was heading. Smart has tunnel vision. Effectively ignoring the future dual-threat star Fields just shows where Smart's priorities were. And that was just one of the many bad decisions as you stated. Now it will take us at least a couple of seasons to try and catch up.

And yes, I agree, injuries definitely hurt us but all teams have injuries. We probably would have played a closer game against Florida, but with no offensive fire we still would have lost. And remember, we got torched by Bama with our full starting defense in the 2nd half of that game. There's no excuse for that loss.

I'm still not convinced that Kirby has bought into a high flying offensive scheme just based on his comments and actions with Bennett and Mathis. We need to be moving to play both Beck and Daniels in the remaining games so we can have some kind of QB experience and foundation for next season. If Smart continues to start Bennett or Mathis I will completely lose ALL faith in him as a head coach.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Also consider the SEC adjusted the Dawgs schedule to accommodate UF although UF and the clown brought their COVID problems on themselves. UF played one game in three weeks and came into yesterday’s game at 100% while the Dawgs had Bama and KY and the D was at 60% or less.

If, as Bill and the delusional fan base suggests and Kirby is the one hamstringing the offense, how did Monken manage to “abandon” the run game per Bill and have so many open receivers missed by the QBs? It was Bill and the same bunch that demanded that Mason be replaced by Bauta because they know so much more than the coaches that are at practice everyday, that lead to Richt finally giving the fans what they wanted and led directly to their “good man” being kicked to the curb.

Also Bill, I cannot disagree more with your assessment of Kirby’s WR recruiting the past two years. Two years ago we had two five stars and last year was a great WR haul with several freshmen making great contributions this year. I expect the fan base to allow their emotions to make them delusional and to spew baseless crap, but it does seem that even on DawgNation, a “guest columnist” would try to base his opinions on research and facts rather than baseless diatribes.

• Options
    SAVYSAVY Posts: 260 ✭✭✭ Junior

You won’t find anything. But I have reliable sources. I just find it strange that the media hasn’t even hinted to it. It’s a rather big deal, regarding his previous school. And it’s why he hasn’t been on the field. It’s not cause he’s not impressing the coaches or that he’s not fully healthy. Eventually, you’ll read about it and you’ll remember this post.