Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football report card: Bulldogs fail to make grade in crunch time

SystemSystem Posts: 10,691 admin
edited November 2020 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football report card: Bulldogs fail to make grade in crunch time

Georgia football saw its season goals erased by Florida in a 44-28 loss in Jacksonville, the Bulldogs' offense sputtering and the defensive giving up big plays in the first half

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    mattyp87mattyp87 Posts: 86 ✭✭✭ Junior

Nice little jab right at the end, Mike! Are you sure there isn’t something more going on with JT? What about the whole insurance rumor? You’d like to believe that we would have put him yesterday if he were truly available.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Camarda's uncharacteristic poor performance kinda just sums up the entire afternoon...off the rails and completely outplayed, outcoached, and outmatched. 9 for 29 and 3 interceptions from our 2 QBs. You aren't going to even beat Vandy with those numbers. Zamir White's 75 yard run was the best play of the day...and probably about the only thing good worth remembering.

Smart has got SO much work to do on offense it's not even close to being funny. Now is the time to play Beck and Daniels both. There is simply no reason not to do so as we now know Bennett and Mathis are definitely not the answer.

• Options
    mnbdawgmnbdawg Posts: 34 ✭✭ Sophomore

It's to bad MG has to do this report card every week, knowing he can't be honest with his grades.

Coaching was a big fat { F } and MG knows it, but he can't step on toes, I can.

The QB situation is a joke and will not improve until Kirby allows the OC to actually run the offense.

Kirby is right about not being in a boat race, no race to it we just get run over by the boat.

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

Why did Smart even offer Daniels a scholarship?

• Options
    Dogbone1Dogbone1 Posts: 15 ✭✭ Sophomore

As has been mentioned elsewhere, we need to look at the trajectory over the last 5 years under Kirby. Hard to argue that it hasn’t slowly declined. Top offensive performance was arguably 2017 against OK in the Rose Bowl in year 2 with a freshman QB, as well as a team with many Richt recruits.

The current team, it’s content, it’s identity and strategy are all on Smart. He is losing the same big games as Richt did, many badly. When a high powered offense and passing game is viewed by Smart as something you do as a last resort, it cannot be a priority in recruiting, practice reps, and game planning. We will not become a true playoff contender again until we **** this down to the frame and start over, especially regarding the offense.

Since Kirby arrived, Mullen has progressively taken FL from the cellar to major improvement. Similar story with Fisher at A&M. They progress, we regress. Perhaps most worrisome is that the overall head coach leadership, structure, and cohesiveness seems to have deteriorated into frank chaos. Who’s job is that?

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

Stafford started as a true freshman. Eason started as a true freshman. Fromm started as a true freshman.

And Carson Beck can’t get one daggum snap with this mess ahead of him?!

Hey Kirby, if you’re that afraid of hurting Bennett’s “confidence” by giving other QB’s meaningful snaps, maybe Bennett doesn’t have the self-confidence to be successful anyway.

Play someone else. Pretty please, with sugar on top.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Missed tackles, blown coverages, dropped passes, inaccurate throws and even a shanked punt to top it all off. I never would have thought I'd see one of Smart's teams look so unready to play Florida. This was a very winnable game against arguably our most hated rival, and they just couldn't do it.

Obviously, the quarterback situation stands out among the many failures, which is the main reason that Coaching should get an F - well, that, an the inability to adjust to the wheel route. (Not even a D? Seriously?) It is truly baffling that it took this long for Smart to move on from Bennett, and when he finally did, there was no one to turn to because Bennett had been getting all the reps ...well, who knows how Daniels might have done. It will be interesting to see how this plays out going forward. Like everyone else, I was pulling for Mathis. And who knows, he might still be a solid option one day, whether here or somewhere else. But he's had about a full game's worth of opportunity now, and hasn't shown any real reason that he should be getting snaps over Beck and Daniels at this point. The season is essentially over. It's time to start building for next year. No sense in letting either of the remaining options collect dust on the bench. Let's see if we have somebody, anybody, who might be up for the job. Only one way to know, and it's not like there's anything else to play for at this point.

I know I'm stating the obvious with all this; I wish I knew it were this obvious to Smart. But I'd still give it about a 10% chance that we see Bennett starting again next week.

• Options
    10DAWG10DAWG Posts: 263 ✭✭✭ Junior

I agree with the others Mike, if you're doing to grade out the the games every week, it should be an honest assessment. Maybe you should take on the roll like John Adams has in Knoxville and tell it like it is, or just not do it. It's a credibility thing.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Recruit defensive players as best as you possibly can but in today’s game, you better have an offensive minded philosophy to beat top tier teams. Ball control ain’t crap if you’re not putting the points on the board. Teams are to offensively explosive these days to continue Georgia’s game philosophy. Get somebody you trust offensively to do that Kirby and please, get out of his way.

• Options
    GoodLifeGoodLife Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited November 2020

Just how many more millions does the university have to spend on the program and just how many more 5 star players do we need to have on the roster so that UGA doesn't get blown out of games anymore?? Losing is one thing, but losing badly is another thing completely - especially with the embarrassment of riches in talent and depth we have acquired over the past 5 years. One commenter said it best... UF & TA&M are both trending upwards while UGA, despite all the aforementioned, is regressing. IMO, the primary difference maker is the person running their respective programs.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Camarda has been lights out but choked big time yesterday. seem to remember that a couple of times last year in big games.

I think the Offensive game plan was there we just didn't have the execution by the receivers and QB's.

Never seen so many people go down in a game with injuries. The wet turf was not conducive to playing.

Have to not to believe LeCounte would have made a big difference.

• Options
    Billy2131Billy2131 Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

Mike.

One grade I would change is coaching = Coaching D- Not one unit played up to par in this utter debacle. Offense was miserable minus the first two touchdowns, Defense (even with the unreal injury situation) was inconsistent, zero pass rush, miserable in the flats and lacked communication from number #2 riding a motor cycle last Sat and ending his career. With that said... this year is over, done, finished. I feel we will get beat next week at Mizzo with a 11am kickoff and a deflated injury riddled no qb team. 7-3 or even another loss possibly at SC as they always play us tuff and making a 6-4 record realistic.

With the season over and not attaining our goals it is time NOW to start preparing for a QB next year. Stetson if he can go needs to finish the year out as our QB we know his ceiling but get Beck some playing time in these next four Pre Season games. and oh, Kirby will have to go out and get a transfer QB who doesn't have a knee issue!!!

• Options
    SWDawg68SWDawg68 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Like I said before on your original article, I usually agree with you and your assessments, sometimes you change my mind. BUT, here you go again barking the party line for Kirby. The coaching as a whole was a C-, but our Head Coach does not get a passing grade. How can we expect any type of change, if we don't hold him accountable. The 19-1 comment against the SEC East, is what you expect from the likes of Pruitt and Muschamp, who are trying to reverse a losing trend. We should dominate the East and the West, not try and throw little cry baby excuses to the press. Just win the games and if you lose, take the responsibility and get better. Never thought he would stoop to excuses, but here we are!

• Options
    edited November 2020

"With the season over and not attaining our goals it is time NOW to start preparing for a QB next year. Stetson if he can go needs to finish the year out as our QB we know his ceiling but get Beck some playing time in these next four Pre Season games. and oh, Kirby will have to go out and get a transfer QB who doesn't have a knee issue!!!"

Which is it? Should we start grooming the quarterback of the future, or stick with Bennett? The answer is obvious, but these are mutually exclusive options and you're saying both should happen. Also, I'm not sure why you would be so quick to give up on Daniels without even seeing him play here. His absence has been a total mystery; at this point, who's to say if it's because of his knee or some other perceived issue in Smart's eyes? The path forward seems clear - make the rest of the season a competition between Beck and Daniels. Give each one a half of every game. Alternate full games between them. Maybe even give Mathis one last chance at some point. I don't care. Just do SOMETHING to lay the foundation for next season so that we don't have to sit through yet another season of offense that's just plain hard to watch. We already know Bennett's not going to be the answer, so at least the hard part of narrowing it down to the 4/5 stars is taken care of.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Overall: D.

Agree with E_Roc and others completely. We've got to have a foundation - with some experience already under their belt - for next season at QB. Otherwise we start from square one next year with the offense and a new QB. We've got a hand full of games remaining plus a probable decent bowl game if we can win our remaining games. Get Beck and Daniels in there for those games and find out who will start for next season. Vandergriff coming in next year can compete with the starter or just learn as the backup in 2021. We've got nothing to lose but more time by continuing to play Bennett or Mathis. Sorry, but that's the reality of the situation. I look around at other teams and conferences and see plenty of more than capable freshman and backup QBs stepping up this season and doing a great job.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Coaching should have been graded an F. The only good coaching move was the first play of the game, but we never saw it again.

Our QB situation is ridiculous and perplexing. Daniels and Beck couldn’t be worse than 9 for 29. Why don’t you reporters keep pressing Kirby about the QB situation until he gets angry and either gives an answer or actually makes a change.

I wish Chip would come back to DawgNation.

• Options
    SWDawg68SWDawg68 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Rumor Mill and NOT verified at all

But, I thought it made sense, so here goes. This is from someone who does know a lot more than me about UGA....JT is not playing because of "other" reasons. I asked him about the insurance policy not allowing him, he laughed... I asked him about practice and "body of work" keeping him off the field, he just said there are a lot of moving parts that have kept him off the field....I finally said, are they going to Red Shirt him, considering he got a medical red shirt last season and No penalty for transferring from USC....silence and "yeah I can't really talk about that"

So our trusted reporters know but are not willing to talk about it, that is all I needed to know -- again, Wait until next year!!

• Options

"So our trusted reporters know but are not willing to talk about it, that is all I needed to know"

What exactly does this tell you? Am I missing something?