Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

10 Georgia missed opportunities that could have turned 44-28 loss to Florida

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited November 2020 in Article commenting
image10 Georgia missed opportunities that could have turned 44-28 loss to Florida

Georgia football had plenty of opportunities to make plays to beat Florida, but quarterback play has been shaky and it cost the team Saturday

Read the full story here

Comments

• atadawgatadawg Posts: 101 ✭✭✭ Junior

@MikeGriffith you're other article is linking to your WordPress account and not to the actual article...just saying.

• David1David1 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If a frog had wings.....

• jamboogiejamboogie Posts: 186 ✭✭✭ Junior

coulda, woulda, shoulda. great teams take advantage of such ops

• TIMLAW10TIMLAW10 Posts: 46 ✭✭ Sophomore

An article written for losers. I despise this.

• NashDawgNashDawg Posts: 63 ✭✭✭ Junior

How about we talk about the biggest missed opportunity since Kirby arrived at UGA....letting the highest rated recruit Fields go

i won’t lie and say I didn’t support keeping Fromm during Fields freshman season, but the LSU game was an opportunity missed. Instead of seeing that average to good QB can’t beat elite teams like Bammer, LSU, Ohio St, Clumpson, Smart decided to hold onto the strategies learned during his tenure at Bammer and keep a low risk game manager in and rely on defense. He failed to realize he needs to put in a QB with the highest ceiling.

• MarkGelbartMarkGelbart Posts: 53 ✭✭ Sophomore

Georgia's offensive coordinator called a great game. Players just did not execute.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It really is frustrating seeing Trask making one perfect throw after another to only where his receivers can catch it, if they just so happened to be covered, and then they actually catch it, and then see our QB 's miss wide-open throws or our receivers have butterfingers.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep and Florida seemed to make every. Single. Pass. Just like Bama does. Just like LSU did with Burrow. We got very lucky on the first 21 points and still got our butts beat.

People, please stop talking about Fields like Smart did something wrong. He gave him a reasonable shot as a true freshman and Fields threw the race card at us. He hadn't even won the starting spot at Ohio State until close to when the season started.

One person I saw mentioned Eason. LOL, he was overrated and we gave him a full season.

Fault should be directed at how Newman was obviously not going to be the starter and whatever is holding JT back. He did quite well at USC. Blame Smart for not giving Beck a shot. Blame him when Vandagriff won't even get a chance to play with the 1s.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If you can easily name 10 missed opportunities in one single game that just tells me we have SUCH a LONG way to go to get to elite status. Holy cow. The UGA program right now has gone backwards. First order of business is getting Bennett and Mathis out of the games. Play Beck and/or Daniels immediately so we can have a chance to find a good QB that will have some game and offensive scheme experience going into next season. Otherwise, we are back to square one next season. If I were Vandergriff, I'd be wondering why I committed to a program that may or may not play me and has no sense of direction on offense.

• BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

This was not about a defense that has been left on the field 60% of the game & held the Gators to a couple of field goals in the second half. This was about starting the wrong QB and an offense that has regressed all season & their only consistency is their failure to execute especially at QB. In today's game if you want to compete for championships, you better be playing an elite QB. Kirby has let two walk & has a 3rd maybe even a 4th sitting on the bench. When the cameras focused on Kirby pulling Bennett yesterday, it looked like two lovers breaking up vs. a coach making a tough decision. Bottom line it is all beginning to smell like some sense of misplaced loyalty making it difficult for Smart to pull the trigger on these QB's. Not giving Fields the opportunity over Fromm, Mathis getting yanked for Bennett immediately against the Hogs & now that Daniels appears to be ready Kirby still can't move from the Bennett/Mathis duo. All you have to do is look at not only UGa's losses & struggles, you can look a few miles up the road at Clemson's problems without Lawrence. I also recall that Swinney had no problem pulling Bryant for Lawrence in 2018. You can also look west to Tuscaloosa where Saban did not hesitate to pull Hurts for Tua & vice versa & then last year after Tua gets hurt, Bama misses the CFP for the first time.

Danielson who I often disagree with summed it up perfectly. Like it or not this game has become about offense & a great QB. Defense while important will no longer win championships. Saban & Swinney both took a few years to learn this lesson. Hopefully Kirby graduated to the next level yesterday & will let Monken do what he does best.

• randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

Guys enough about Fields...old news and Kirby’s obvious mistake. But the underlying issue is QB evaluation and development. It’s an embarrassing for a program like UGA. Vandagriff will be the last offensive 5 star we get until we prove we can throw the ball. We have regressed...and badly. We can’t even compete much more win against good teams. I’m at a loss as what to do if Kirby won’t or can’t play JT or Beck. There has got a major overhaul of philosophy and talent within the next 2 years or Kirby’s story will end ****.

• JimmyBobJimmyBob Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

All y’all whining about Kirby not changing philosophy- the plays are there from the scheme and coordinator. QB play isn’t to execute that isn’t there right now. Look at what LSU went through the 2 seasons before last year’s offensive eruption. It was a dumpster fire until pieces fell into place. Same with UF before Trask (remember QB whisperer Mullen that Felipe Franks should be his starter.) We are going to be fine.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How can you trust CKS's QB evaluation when he said," Fields didn't "show him that much in practice." Seriously? I seem to remember pundits saying Field would be a 1st round pick in the NFL before he even got a chance to play at UGA.

Trask has been called a "sleeper." I don't think it would take a genius to have seen that Trask has the "it" factor over Franks, but I guess it happens. Maybe Franks had better practices? CKS likes practice performance.

Lawrence was called a generational talent coming out of HS.

Tua was called the best HS QB that Trent Dilfer had seen in his camps

JT Daniels threw for like 70 TD's in HS. and set yardage records. He was 2nd ranked "pro-style" QB coming out of HS. He hasn't forgot how to throw a football.

• randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

The problem is Kirby doesn't appear to have an urgency to change the O philosophy. In fact, Kirby sends mixed messages. He says he wants to be more explosive, but the play-calling doesn't show that and our O recruiting doesn't show that. Plus he doesn't even use or maximize the "explosive" players he does have. Kirby has to make a radical change in my opinion and fast, or he won't be our HC for much longer.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have to disagree with two of your main points here. The recruiting on offense has been fine. He's brought in highly regarded quarterbacks, runningbacks, OL, tight ends and this past cycle signed 4 receivers ranked in the top 100 overall to add to Pickens and Blaylock. And aside from the Kentucky game, I don't think play calling is to blame either. We just didn't have the quarterback IN THE GAME to make the kind of explosive plays that are necessary these days. That's the main problem, with a general lack of cohesiveness tying into it. I think if we'd had a "real" QB in there from the start, rather than an obvious placeholder running things for half the season, the whole offense would have had a much better chance of clicking by now. Make no mistake, I'm not letting Smart off the hook. The failure to field a competitive offense is absolutely on him as the head coach. I just disagree on what exactly the failure has been.