Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

5 Georgia football things: JT Daniels, TE elevated, D'Wan Mathis receiver possibility

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited November 2020 in Article commenting
image5 Georgia football things: JT Daniels, TE elevated, D'Wan Mathis receiver possibility

Georgia football appears on the brink of a quarterback change, and that in turn will bring about more changes and different dimensions

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mathis's future is not at QB. Although we might need him to finish up the season at that spot just because we're so strapped for any depth there. I pretty much expect him to be a WR next year though if he's in a UGA uniform.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Love the idea of Mathis at receiver !! Love it !! The guy is very athletic and as the article states has track speed. If he works really hard at that position I don’t see him doing any worse than a couple of other receivers whose names out of respect I won’t mention. That could be his niche. It could with allot of hard work lead him right into the NFL on down the road. I don’t like bashing on people, I really don’t . But as some other fans have mentioned on other posts I can’t help but question the abilities of our Receivers Coach. Allot of these guys had 5 & 4 star talent coming out of HS !! If most of them are a bust it means poor evaluation before offering a scholly, poor coaching after, or both !! Just seems like many SEC teams that Should on paper be inferior in that regard have better receivers to me. Why ??

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If Mathis receives no more snaps....I would have to doubt he would be in a UGA uniform in 2021....unless Kirby can convince him he will see plenty of action as a WR. Remember, UGA bent over backwards for this young athlete when he had his brain issues. A healthy JT Daniels at QB should offer UGA more passing depth....if he has matured past the ambitious throws into double coverage...that resulted in only 57% completions at USC...and several interceptions. I watched a narrated video. He has one of the strongest arms I have witnessed from a college QB. Lightning quick delivery! When the receiver breaks away it is a completion nearly every time..no matter how far down field. He can also run if he has to. I like his chances against SEC competition...and beyond.

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I hate the idea of Mathis at receiver because he's fast. If speed was the primary skill for a receiver, then Demetrius Robertson should be All-American. There's no way Mathis should see the field ahead of kids who've spent years playing receiver and achieved 4-star ranking and now a 4 star QB is a better option. The day Smart brings that up should be the same day he hits the Transfer Portal. There's some coaching staff out there that can develop him into a QB. Just NO with Mathis becoming a receiver.

I am primarily in the camp that our past offensive philosophy is what makes our receivers look unproductive. I have come off of that a little bit with the hire of Monken. You have to attempt more than 20 passes per game to develop a passing attack and develop receivers. The top QB's in college football have 20+ COMPLETIONS per game at 8-12 yards per completion. If your top receiver gets 2 catches on 7 targets and everyone else get s 1 or 2 catches on 5 , then that makes every attempt extremely crucial. If normally you get 60 plays in a game, then half of them need to be pass attempts. 20-30 is a lot better passing attack than 5-15.

• Options
    SAVYSAVY Posts: 260 ✭✭✭ Junior

The wheel route topic reminds me of the Treon Harris game, where FL ran about 6 plays all day. Over and over again. And Richt couldn’t figure out how to stop it.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If these were two separate posts, I would have down-voted the first and up-voted the second.

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

Jordan Rodgers, right, is an in-booth analyst, right, for broadcasts, right, on the SEC Network, right. And I am pretty sure, right, that he thinks, right, that he is paid, right, based on how many times, right, he can say the word "right", right.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Matt Landers=Herman Archie

Anyone remember that receiver from early 1980’s? He couldn’t catch anything either. Had a critical drop on a TD bomb from Lastinger that could have been a huge difference in the 1983 sugar bowl vs penn st.

• Options
    fredfred1fredfred1 Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

My hope is that if anyone at UGA ask him to play receiver then Mathis next step should be leaving UGA , just as Fields Dad made him leave then Mathis Father should and I believe will do the same. He runs fast, he's very  athletic, it's always the black athlete. Make Cam a Tight End, recruit Nick Marshall as an athlete, have Fields hand the ball off time and time again. By the way who could have succeeded in that mess of a game Saturday. I still need to know who plays 1 quarter and a few minutes in the 2nd quarter in the first game of the season and see's the field no more, oh that answer is Mathis . UGA will start to find it harder and harder to get top black quarterbacks to even think of giving UGA an opportunity. Just like all of UGA fans, I love the DAWGS but as a Grandfather and Father, I will continue to speak on unjust as I see it, even in football.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2020

Well, Mike says "Mathis has played receiver", and I have to assume that means more than once so why not give the speedster a try...IF he is really open to it. He may love it. But, like others have said, it takes much more than just speed to be a really good WR. His height is an asset and hopefully he can jump. But you also need to be able to run crisp routes, block, and you have to possess/develop some serious cardio stamina to keep up with what I hope will be a much more high powered offense.

• Options
    WayxATLdawg89WayxATLdawg89 Posts: 87 ✭✭ Sophomore

@KBP , do you not watch the NFL and the number of players who played the QB position at the HS or Collegiate level only to be moved to receiver. True athletes make adjustments if they really want to play. D'wan make the switch if given the opportunity. If it doesn't work, then consider your other options moving forward. A path to success is not always achieved in a straight line...

Go Dawgs!!!

• Options

@WayxATLdawg89, yes I do watch the NFL and just because it has worked for a few players doesn't make it a viable option for others. I am almost certain it was a failed experiment for most-Matt Jones, Pat White, Reggie Ball, and every QB Paul Johnson had at Tech. The only one I can think of who had a career beyond 3 years is Antwuan Randle-El from back in the day followed by Matt Jones.

• Options

Bill Polian thought Lamar Jackson should have been a receiver because he's fast and athletic. It takes more than speed and athleticism to play receiver. I hope the kid exhausts all options to play QB before he entertains switching to receiver. Ryan Day at Ohio State offered him a scholarship so obviously he thinks the kid can be QB.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not saying Mathis won't ever be a QB, but he has a WHOLE LOT of growth and development to do first. But if, IF, UGA were to consider a position switch for him, I'd like to see him at defensive back. He has speed and size. One of the things I get so tired of seeing is receives just jump over the heads of our cornerbacks for catches. A 6-6 DB might cut down on some of that. I think Champ Bailey played QB in high school then became All-Everything as a DB. I think the receivers we already have are talented enough (with some notable exceptions) but we haven't yet had a quarterback who can get them the ball. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 411 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hines Ward? I know he played WR in college, but he also played QB in HS and College.

• Options
    Dawgman4everDawgman4ever Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

What concerns me for having another week off means Bennett will have time to recover. I hope and prey Kirby doesn’t trot him out onto the field the next time we play. We need to think about QB development for the remainder of the year and how to have an experienced QB to start next year. Just watch...Kirby will play Bennett and we’ll continue to look the same. Allow Beck or Daniels to play QB1 to open up our offense. Lastly, we need to start using our TE more than we have in the past several years. We have weapons at TE, but we’d rather use them for blocking. SMH!

Kirby - Show us your not as stubborn as we think you are. We need to dominate who we play against. In this football age, defense will only take you so far.

Go Dawgs!!