Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Nakobe Dean explains what the Georgia defense must do better going forward

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited November 2020 in Article commenting
imageNakobe Dean explains what the Georgia defense must do better going forward

In the run-up to the game against Mississippi State, Kirby Smart linked the Bulldogs' offense to that of the triple-option offense that Georgia Tech used to run under Paul Johnson. While the latter ran the ball as often as Mike Leach's team threw it on Saturday, they both have the same end goal. Bit by bit, pick up

Read the full story here

Comments

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I celebrate this win. We needed it. JT Daniels did a good job. We finally moved the ball in the air--just totally lost the ground game. There's plenty to celebrate and plenty to criticize. I come away with two easy to see primary concerns:

1. Our D keeps getting torched in the passing game;
    2. Our OL was not moving their DL in run blocking as they should. Pass protection looked okay but run blocking was poor.

There's something missing overall in the last few games. I'm not an expert, but I know when we look good and we're not looking good right now. Maybe having a QB who can pass a little will motivate the whole team. It should certainly help the defense.

• harleydawgharleydawg Posts: 35 ✭✭ Sophomore

It's a high percentage play.. 5 yard passes, and you get first downs, control the ball and the clock. THAT was their scheme, Cine said we wanted to keep them in front of us...that was their scheme also. On defense the wide outs need to be played man to man, 3-4 man rush w/zone coverage at a "linebacker" distance. This type of offense is hard to defend, it doesn't give you time to "sack" the q/b or defend against the short 5 yard passes UNLESS you stay with the guy trying to catch the ball. I'm glad we won the game. I was real pleased with Daniels, can't wait to get back to a "normal" game in which we are more balanced. Coming into this game, Miss. St. threw the ball more than any other team in the nation, I can certainly see why their q/b has such a high pass completion percentage. I don't think he attempted to throw the ball more than 15 yards in the game, most were 5-6 yards. Early in the season Alabama beat them 41-0, I don't think they( Miss. St.) were as in sync then as now. Go Dawgs.

• DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

UGA simply can't "decide" to play zone in one game. Why? Because they almost never do it, and they're AWFUL at it. Nakobe says they were told to keep receivers "in front of them." They did that a lot, by simply backing up and standing there, letting receivers pick which wide-open spot they wanted to stand in to catch the ball. Watch the pre-snap movement. MSU is third-and-four. Before the snap, UGA's defensive backfield, almost as a unit, starts backing up, and keeps backing up, until they're beyond the first down mark and on their heels, before the ball is even snapped. What does the MSU receiver do? Duh, run out there and catch the ball. First and Ten, do it again.

Here's a note about zone (please feel free to chime in). Think basketball. You play zone. When an opposing player moves into "your" zone on the floor, do you simply stand there and watch them? No. You're in a zone, but you still GUARD the player when they enter your zone. The zone is your "responsibility" rather than the player would be in man-to-man. But you're still supposed to - back to football - COVER the player. Standing still and watching them catch the ball is not playing defense. Maybe it has a name, but the name might involve some inappropriate language. Or maybe call it the "Statue of Doom" UGA special.

• BullDawg88888BullDawg88888 Posts: 29 ✭✭ Sophomore

Sooo, we played Prevent the whole night and they carved us up. There was no to little aggression in the defense. We rushed three almost the whole game and the QB had all the time in the world to throw. How was that our strategy by our coaches? We just played not to lose? I can't see any defensive players wanting to play for our defense under that kind of plan. Oh yeah, at the very end of the game, we brought it and stopped their last drive. It wouldn't have worked earlier though, just at the end of the game, because our five-star LB's couldn't have gotten in there. No way... ugh...

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm with you @DeppDogg .Our guys REPEATEDLY just let their receivers go out and catch passes right next to them while they just stood on the grass looking around. And how many times did their running back just run a few yards into the flat or just barely across the line of scrimmage, turn around and catch a pass for a five or six-yard gain? I can see the linebackers dropping back into a zone but I kept wondering why were they dropping so deep? It just made no sense. And we wound up getting pressure on their QB at the end of the game, but for most of the night, our pass rush -- even when we blitzed -- was not getting home. We got some work to do.