Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Smael Mondon Jr. adds to a staggering number of 5-stars who chose UGA

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited November 2020 in Article commenting
imageSmael Mondon Jr. adds to a staggering number of 5-stars who chose UGA

Smael Mondon Jr. is the latest 5-star recruit to choose to play for Georgia. His decision led DawgNation to try to compile a list of every 5-star who at least initially committed to play for Kirby Smart's program. That list is longer than most might think.

Read the full story here

Comments

• mattyp87mattyp87 Posts: 86 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited November 2020

if only the amount of five stars helped us to get back to the Natty..

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Five stars are supposed to get drafted in the 1st round of the NFL draft. WEesure have had a lot of busts over the years. Makes you wonder why.

DRob, Nauta, James Cook, Robert BEal, Deanglo Gibbs, Tyson Cambell still hasn't turned his head around to look for the ball, that ain't happening.

Some of our defensive guys are used so sparingly I doubt an NFL team would risk a 1st round pick with such a limited body of work. Guys like Tindall, Anderson, Smith. Salyer has been somewhat of a disappointment. He won't go 1st round.

Nakobe Dean looks like another 1st round middle LB. Trayvon Walker isn't blowing anybody up like I thought he would. I believe he's playing out of position. Too lean to play effectively in the middle. Sort of a tweener body type.

• randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited November 2020

This is basically an indictment on Kirby and his coaching staff for not winning a Natty or at least not getting to the CFP more than once. It's simple - poor player development and questionable schemes. No doubt they are great recruiters, but that's a shallow victory given the deserved expectations. If Kirby doesn't get us back into the playoffs within the next two years, I would prefer a coach with less recruiting prowess and greater player development. Too bad we can't seem to have both like AL, OSU and Clemson. I'm a little embarrassed to be honest by all this.

• KBPKBP Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@randyglass14 ,@MontanaDawg ,@mattyp87 ,

All I can say about your comments is: OUCH!!!!!

At some point(next year or two) all the hype for recruits that UGA is building something special will fall on deaf ears if Kirby can't convert us to a NC playoff team. We will fade into the background of dare I say FLA. We will become 2nd best team in the East, Tenn and SC will change coaches and depending on who they get and their immediate success(if they have it) will steal the thunder away from UGA.

we don't want to prove Spurrier right again. "What happens to all those blue chip players when they get to UGA?

Is it me or does Smael look like a thicker Snoop-Dawg?

• tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

As I have said before, 5 Star Recruits do not especially bring you a Natty. Player development and coaching does. The 2016 signing class has one 5 Star recruit left on it's roster, Ben Cleveland. Demetris Robinson was ranked as a 5 Star, but transfered in to UGA, and has not played up to what he did at Cal while he was on their roster. The 2017 signing class has two 5 Star recruits left on it's roster, Richard LeCounte III, who has played like a 5 Star recruit while on the field, and Robert Beal Jr., who has not. The 2018 signing class saw Justin Fields and Brenton Cox transfer out after their freshmen season, and Cade Mays flew the coop this year. Zamir White, who has had ACL surgery on both knees has only had 1, 100 yard rushing game, and James Cook has not played up to his prior ranking as a 5 Star. The 2019 signing class have all contributed. Dominick Blaylock has had two surgeries, he may never be the same player again. The 2020 signing class, saw Kelee Ringo have to have surgery and was lost for the season. Broderick Jones has only appeared in one game for the year so far. Thank God, Kirby gave Zach Evans his release before he was buttoned down as a bona vide 2020 signee. Tate Ratledge, don't know of his status. Kendall Milton showed flashes of being a 5 star, but he is now on the injury list. People claim it takes a Village to raise a child. It does take a Team to make it to the Natty, so far Kirby has had only one team to make it that far, and most of that, was due to players like Nick Chubb and Sony Michael were hungry for that trophy. It's too bad 2nd and 26 spoiled their dream.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Go back and look at Dabo’s first five years before mentioning Clemson. Kirby is light years ahead while not having the benefit of not playing in the All Cupcake Conference.

Who do you want? When Richt got kicked to the curb, Tom Herman was most mentioned by Dawg fans that didn’t want Kirby. Texas would be glad to be rid of him!

Can't say for sure but Dabo didn't inherit a team that went to the NC his second season and he didn't have the benefit of top 3 recruiting classes consecutively for 4 years. Below are Clemson's recruiting class rankings since Dabo took over, (2012-2018) his first full year as head coach for recruiting was 2010 but that isn't shown here, doubt it was top 10.

2011: No. 10 nationally, (28 enrollees)

2012: No. 20 nationally, (15 enrollees)

2013: No. 15 nationally, (22 enrollees)

2014: No. 16 nationally, (19 enrollees)

2015: No. 9 nationally, (24 enrollees)

2016: No. 11 nationally (21 enrollees)

2017: No. 16 nationally (14 enrollees)

2018: No. 7 nationally (17 enrollees)

Not a mathematician but the avg. looks to be roughly 12th.

One could certainly make the argument that Kirby did better with Richt's recruits than he has with his own. Here's hoping Kirby can start coaching them up, a little better.

Either Saban is getting a lot better talent, even though the rankings don't bear that out, or he's just a much better coach. I mean he is the G.O.A.T.

• GoodLifeGoodLife Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

It's called an embarrassment of riches!!! But what's embarrassing is that UGA still does not perform like an elite team. Every other team that comes close to the recruiting level of UGA performs to expectations i.e. Alabama, OSU, Clemson, etc. While 2020 is a whacky year, we are not even in the top 10!!!! If the problem isn't talent and depth, then therefore can we assume...

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2020

Clemson can't help it that they play in a cupcake conference any more than the Dawgs can help it that they play in what has been for years a generally weaker SEC East. Put the Dawgs in the SEC West, and I will bet you that Kirby would struggle mightily to ever win that division. Winning the SEC East title is not that difficult honestly if you can get past Florida. And Florida has been terrible over the last several years. Winning an SEC Championship is much more difficult. Kirby has only won (1) SEC Championship.

Dabo's record at Clemson since the 2012 season has been at least 11-2 or better (most years 0 or 1 loss). Sure, he had a rocky first 4-5 years at Clemson. Kirby has actually done better in his first 5 years. But Clemson has been in (5) of the (6) CFP semifinal rounds played thus far. They have won (4) out of those (5) semifinal games (Bama is the only team to beat them in the semis). Clemson has also won (2) National Championships since 2016. So, when they do play the best-of-the-best teams in the nation they tend to win. Dabo's coaching method & philosophy apparently works for the most part.

The standard response to this is " Well, who is going to replace Kirby?" I don't have a definitive answer to that other than Swinney or Saban. I know they could easily replace Kirby and do better. BUT, the better question really is - WHY aren't the Dawgs doing better than they are? The answer is coaching and development. So, until that improves then I think we're on a merry-go-round of disappointment and frustration if our goal is to make it back to the playoffs consistently and win a National Championship.

• AirmanEAirmanE Posts: 34 ✭✭ Sophomore

Complain all you want but Mark Richt stayed for 15 years and only won two sec championships and never played for the natty. Including a six win season with a sun bowl loss to Ucf. I continue to believe we are in good hands but even if I’m wrong CKS will not be fired by UGA.

• PythonPython Posts: 157 ✭✭✭ Junior

The mark of a good coach? Look at 247 recruiting for the five years leading up to Dabo's first championship....The average is not in the top five......Now look at Kirby's recruiting over the last five years....never out of the top five.....I would say that Dabo gets the bang for his buck

• PythonPython Posts: 157 ✭✭✭ Junior

Just a quick question......There are a lot of people who are really high on Freeze. I'm not completely sold on that but you can't argue with results. If you were the Georgia AD and Freeze called and said he wanted to coach the Dawgs.........Would you hire him?

• GoodLifeGoodLife Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

Apples & oranges... Instead of comparing Kirby to Richt, how about comparing Kirby to coaches like Saban, Swinney, Day, Riley now that UGA finally has the same resources and talent as those programs?

• My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 379 ✭✭✭ Junior

Can’t wait to take this 5 star and turn him into a 3 star!

• maconexpressmaconexpress Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior

Mark Richt beat Saban twice and Urban Meyers once but when he fell behind them on the recruiting trail his team struggled to beat them but the man should get credit for winning the east twice when Fulmer, Spurrier and Meyer were in the east at the same time. Unfortunately for Kirby, there aren't any coaches in the east of their caliber to challenge him to make him become a better head coach.

Fortunately for him he had veteran players left from Mark Richt's staff who weren't afraid to speak their minds about how Kirby and his staff should utilize them and it paid off in the long run.