Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

3 Georgia football takeaways from first 2020 College Football Playoff rankings

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited November 2020 in Article commenting
image3 Georgia football takeaways from first 2020 College Football Playoff rankings

The first College Football Playoff rankings of the 2020 season were dropped on Tuesday night. And as they always seem to do, the rankings sparked intense debate across the college football landscape. Alabama came in at No. 1 and there was little surprise or shock there. Notre Dame sat at No. 2, which makes sense

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm surprised but I like it. Go Dawgs! !!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2020

Connor, The Dawgs have always tended to be overhyped and ranked higher than they should have been. I don't think the #9 ranking is that far off. Is the #9 ranking too high based on performance? Yes. I'd probably put us around #12-14. We've been a disappointment no doubt, but I am a bit encouraged about the offense after last week. But our pass defense is pathetic. This is a strange season with some teams able to have enough games to strut their stuff and other teams not. I question the Ohio State ranking at this point, but when the dust settles they probably do belong in the Top 4. But, they have got to play much better than last week.

The Dawgs need to concentrate on winning their remaining games and forget about polls - especially this season. We've missed our goal for this year (AGAIN), and the best we can hope is that we end up in a New Years 6 Bowl and win that one. Accomplish that and we end up with a decent and respectable season. Lose another game and I will be beside myself with utter frustration and disappointment.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The view from 35,000 feet looks awfully disappointing, but as the season has progressed we were delusional in thinking we could compete in an offense driven league at the moment with a third string qb starting against the two teams to be playing in the seccg.

I’m not saying woulda shoulda coulda but I believe all uga fans would agree that if we had the same level of qb play as we saw Saturday and a completely healthy defense the outcome of the Bama and Florida games would have been different ( even if just point differential).

in moving forward, I feel much more encouraged about our offense next yr. and I pray Jordan Davis returns tho I wouldn’t blame him for leaving, 💴.

also I’m excited about Ringo starting next season, mark Webb is the Matt landers of the defense. 🤦‍♂️

happy thanksgiving and go Dawgs!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Webb was brought here to play receiver, I believe, but that didn't work out so they made him a DB, or tried, safety? I give him A for effort but clearly he's a tad slow. or hasn't mastered the art of covering someone.

• Options
    ItchyZItchyZ Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

It's just someone's opinion.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

People are whiners. Get over it. Especially with Daniels now, I think a #9 ranking is fair when you account for Losses to #1 Bama and #6 Florida.

No team is perfect:

#1 Bama - Gave up 48 points to Ole Miss

#2 Notre Dame - Beat (3-6) Louisville (who lost to Tech by almost 20 points) by only 5 points. Clemson was only quality win and that was without Lawrence.

#3 Clemson - 1 Loss. Beat Boston College only by 6 points.

#4 Ohio State - Only has played 4 games. Crappy win against Indiana. Only 13 point win (gave up 28 points) against 0-5 Penn State

#5 Texas A&M - 1 Loss. 5 point win against (0-7) Vandy. Lost by 28 points to Bama. 3 point win against FL. 14 point win against MS State. 11 point win against Arkansas.

#6 Florida - 1 Loss. 14 point Win against (2-6) Carolina

#7 Cincinnati - 3 point win against (5-3) UCF which had lost to Tulsa and Memphis. Played nobody. Decent wins, but not exactly blowouts. Don't tell me they would've beated Bama and Florida.

#8 Northwestern - Only played 5 games. Beat (3-2) Iowa by one point. 8 point win against (1-3) Nebraska. 7 point win against (2-2) Purdue. Only decent win was against Wisconsin which has only played 3 games.

So, there you go. Don't act like Georgia sucks so badly. We play tough teams, got injuries from playing tough games and now have a serious QB. Oh no, we lost by 17 points to Bama... Lets forget that #5 A&M lost by 28 to them. Northwestern and Cincinnati shouldn't be above Georgia, especially Northwestern who has only played 5 games. How was the "eye test" in Clemson's 6 point win against Boston College who lost by 26 points to VA Tech.

It's College Football - just about any team can play hard and prepare and beat just about any other team. Notre Dame got lucky they got to play Clemson without Lawrence. Why rank them #2 when they don't stand a chance to win the NC? Everybody knows this.

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lizards beat us after a three week hiatus (vacation). We were up 14-0. Our 3rd team qb had just thrown a td to our flashy new sports car at wideout. Perfect route perfect throw and they both get knocked out on the same play. Tough break. They beat up on our second and third team defense. Bama was better than us. The ranking is fine.