Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia football gets passing grade for running and defense at South Carolina

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited November 2020 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football gets passing grade for running and defense at South Carolina

Georgia football coach Kirby Smart played a lot of young players at South Carolina and avoided running up the score on his old friend Mike Bobo

Read the full story here

Comments

• VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 336 ✭✭✭ Junior

B+ for Qb is a bit high. JT has to learn to throw the ball away instead of getting sacked.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree with the grades. Great game against an inferior, battered, and depleted Gamecock team. Loved seeing the rushing attack back and havoc from the defense. OL played well. Vandy should be a cakewalk, and if it isn't then we're still battling demons somewhere. Mizzou will probably be a tougher game on the road (assuming we get it in).

Honestly, I wanted to see a more balanced offensive attack to give Daniels and the receivers more game time to work on everything. We'll need balance to beat the better teams. But, I understand Kirby's mentality of "take what the defense gives you" too.

GO DAWGS!!

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

JT and the receivers had their chance for “style points” and didn’t take full advantage of them. As for me, I am fine with the running game getting its “style points”. I would have been inclined to deduct from the coaching grade if Monken had not taken full advantage of our running game. It’s been awhile since an opponent couldn’t simply stack the box and sell out to stop the run. A+ for JT and the receivers for creating that opportunity for the run game. A+ for the coaching for taking advantage of it!

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

SC and Vandy in same category now. Glad we are not playing Ole Miss...punished MSU 41- zip. Mizzou will be an in-the-trenches battle! They are strong. Larry Rountree III is a super RB! Do not know if UGA will be playing that game or not? I believe it is scheduled for Dec 19.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2020

"Glad we are not playing Ole Miss...punished MSU 41- zip."

No, they won 31-24 after MSU's final pass to the endzone fell incomplete.

Are you thinking of Bama? We did play them. It went well for about a half.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I knew someone would catch my glaring error....thank you. No, Vandy and Mizzou. I was going to write about Ole Miss and MSU but did not....transferred wrong scores...good catch.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Daniels looked good, but in some ways I was happy to see that he clearly isn't NFL ready with CBS implying that he'd be a first round pick after one game.

Our D seemed to have difficulties especially since we were considered best in the league and Carolina isn't exactly Florida. Lots of missed tackles and such.

Solid win though.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agreed. It's selfish, but I'm hoping he GRADUALLY evolves over the 8 or 9 months into the guy who can consistently deliver the kind of performance we saw against MSU.

• DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Back on a favorite subject, with apologies to the poor horse I'm beating, but a quick question: How many touchdown passes have Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State dropped in the last two weeks? And Georgia? There are two things a receiver has to do - get open and catch the ball. Neither is worth a dang (they'll put ***s there if I say what I want to) w/o the other. Remember Malcolm Mitchell? UGA's had some great receivers but the thing that stands out about him is how he snatches the ball out of the air. No cradling, or cupping hands, waiting for the ball to do all the work and fall into his palms. He went and got it with his hands. And almost never dropped a ball.

This is going to bite us, if not this year, then soon. Just when it counts. I'm going to attach an image that I've shared before, about a certain legendary receiver. There is a point: to be an elite player, you can't just show up to practice and wait to be "developed" by coaches. It's on YOU to do your job. This guy epitomized that attitude and so have many others (think Randy Moss was just "gifted" and didn't drive himself - crazy): Check it out. I'd share it with UGA's guys but don't want to go from commenting to meddling. I've already sent this to Cortez, which is already pushing it. But gotta say, this offense can be LSU-'19'ish or whatever comparison you like, but it's on the players: JT to continue busting his butt and receivers to WORK ON ROUTES and CATCH THE **** ball!

Woof, Woof!!

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

IF you see Devonte Smith drop a ball, write it down and date it, It may be a long time before you see that again.

• DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Linebackers and Secondary should be C+. They miss a lot of tackles and played too soft against the pass.