Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

South Carolina's Mike Bobo on Georgia: 'They've shut everybody down except two teams'

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited November 2020 in Article commenting
imageSouth Carolina's Mike Bobo on Georgia: 'They've shut everybody down except two teams'

South Carolina was a depleted team missing several players, but Mike Bobo wasn't looking for any excuses or pity, even though Georgia took a knee at the 1-yard line

Read the full story here

Comments

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bobo stand-up guy. No excuses. Smart was actually easy on him. Griffith: "Smart put a restrictor plate on his transfer QB JT Daniels, who was 10 of 16 for 139 yards with 2 TDs and an interception." I sensed that JT did not like that restrictor plate. JT enjoyed the fan hype of last week...not so much this week. Part of playing college football. Just hope he sticks it out at UGA long enough to really make a consistent difference. Mathis is gone...or last I heard. Bennett and Beck remain. I agree, why not let Beck get involved in the Vandy scrimmage? He has got to see some playing time. Brock Vandagriff will come in like a storm next year.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't know, Daniels seemed pretty engaged to me. On a couple (I think) of those touchdown runs he could be seen throwing his arms up to signal/celebrate the score as the runningback was approaching the line. And there was that shot of him on the sideline while the defense played, going up and down addressing the guys on the bench; that was really late in the game, as I recall. It seemed to me like he was pretty content with the whole situation.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Game was never in doubt, Beck should have played by mid-3rd quarter. Don't know how Kirby thinks he keeps young QB's from transferring if they can't even play a meaningful snap in a blowout game. "Just wait to spring game kid."

• DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Kirby and Mike are friends, close friends, former roommates, got it. But if somebody takes a knee on the one yard line against me - ever - I'm going to be in their face. My attitude is, last play of the game - you run the play and we'll do everything we can to stop it. If we do, props to us and, if we don't, props to you and your team. Taking a knee is an insult to me and to our players.

[I know - people will disagree - but it would burn me up. In fact, I don't think I've EVER seen it, at any level.]

And, if this is the way Mike reacts, he shouldn't be a head coach.

• budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited November 2020

The only reason I would of liked them to score, was to get Edwards that td, that the offense cost him earlier and for that absolute show of domination and effort running the ball on the last drive.

The defense didn't give up much, but maybe it was because of the multiple missed tackles, giving up a 98 yard drive in 12 plays, giving up 3- 4th down conversions, or letting their qb throw for 80-85% completion percentage. Not sure. But those failures cost a team a victory against real good teams, (SC was not one of those).

Just for the record, SC controlled the T.O.P until that last 9 plus minute drive by UGA. The defense has to get off the field sooner, and stop let the opposing team from having 9 or longer play drives.

Less plays for them equals more plays for you. Means more yardage, more T.O.P, and then maybe even more points. Ala does not go a whole game without punting, they just get the ball more often.

I've seen it quite a few times. It really isn't any different than taking a knee anywhere else on the field.

• DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

You've seen it on the one yard line, hmm, gonna have to research that one, never seen it myself. But hey, that's what blogs are for. But my point wasn't about what UGA did, only Bobo's reaction. I would have been in "hefty fine" territory. But people are different, and you and I are obviously different in that respect. But respect otherwise. Go Dawgs.

edited November 2020

Well, first and goal at least, not sure what percentage have been specifically on the 1. Not saying it happens all the time, but it's definitely not unheard of.

But again, I don't really see what difference it makes. What about taking a knee at the +20? At the +30? Anywhere within striking range? At what point is it not insulting to take a knee? With a lead that big, there would have been nothing to lose to keep pressing for more points from anywhere on the field, so should Bobo have been insulted if Smart called for the Dawgs to go into the victory formation from their own 15?

I don't mean to belabor this, and frankly I should have gone to bed by now, but I'm curious where this thinking comes from and how you distinguish doing it at the 1 vs. doing it anywhere else on the field.

• Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

No offense brother, but have you watched film on Brock? He is ABSOLUTELY not remotely ready for the speed of D-1 ball. He is an excellent 5-star QB at the high school level but the wheels will have to have fallen off in order for him to start as a freshman next year.

• JoeFannJoeFann Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

Mike, I've seen it reported in more than just in this article, but the statement that "the Bulldogs didn’t throw any passes in the fourth quarter" is factually incorrect. The first play of the 4th quarter was the touchdown pass to Arian Smith. I know it's picking nits, and maybe you wrote it late and then wound up repeating it. I've mostly enjoyed your coverage, but facts matter, and misreporting details harms your credibility. Everyone makes mistakes. No harm, no foul. Go Dawgs!