Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia coach Kirby Smart opens up on D'Wan Mathis in portal, pending transfer

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited November 2020 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia coach Kirby Smart opens up on D'Wan Mathis in portal, pending transfer

Former Georgia quarterback D'Wan Mathis has entered the transfer portal, according to Bulldogs head coach Kirby Smart, who said UGA would like Mathis to stay

Read the full story here

Comments

• RomeDawg288RomeDawg288 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Love Mathis and hope he changes his mind and stays the course. Believe Daniels will likely be headed to the NFL after next season and position will be wide open between Beck, Vandagriff and Mathis if he were to stay the course. All would have their class status the same as this year with the strange 2020 NCAA class status as a "free year". He simply was not ready this year being so far removed from physical play due to the brain injury. Has immense talent potential and maybe the strongest arm of our qbs.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We all wish Mathis the best of luck going forward and I personally think it's the right move with Daniels securing the #1 spot, hopefully staying for 2021 and then Vandagriff working to get ready with Beck potentially being the backup.

It's just one of those situations where it's not a perfect fit and I'm sure he found find a school and/or conference to where he could really excel in. Clearly a good arm and some nice motor skills - he should be in pretty good demand especially being medically redshirted last season.

It's just one of those things were there is no reason to put him in for us anytime soon. He didn't mesh well, overthrew passes, threw 3 INTs and really wasn't very impressive in his 30 pass attempts. Daniels needs to be taking as many snaps as possible and it'd be nice to see Beck get a shot in the 4th quarter.

Honestly, if it keeps Beck (or Vandagriff) from leaving, I think that's a positive thing for the program. No hard feelings and we'll be rooting for you man. Hope you light it up!

• EvilSamPittmanEvilSamPittman Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Late word is Carson Beck has also mentally checked out on the Dawgs and will likely enter portal at year-end.

QB room in 2021 likely to be QB1-Daniels followed i some order by Vandagriff and Stetson.

• WCHWCH Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I wish Mathis the very best.

• rjallenrjallen Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior

Mathis and his family have done this the right way compared to other recent portal transfers. That said, he has so much potential I wish he stays but understand and respect his decision. I bet he enjoys success here or where he lands. DGD.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I still don't think you should quit on your team until the season is over. It just doesn't send the right message.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Would love to see Carson get some meaningful reps before he transfers out, too. Now is the time to evaluate your talent in real game experience. I don't believe practice separates the men from the boys, not always. For example: D'Wan was best in practice or Kirby doesn't start him at Arkansas. Stetson wasn't good in practice because he was told he wasn't starter material. JT didn't look good in practice, early on I get it, his dad admitted it, but by the FLA game you telling me he couldn't have come in and done better than Dwan? Not buying it.

Question is, can UGA's coaches truly evaluate what they have in each QB without seeing them play in games. Kirby's motto is you are who you are in practice. Well, I beg to differ, according to your recent QB decisions. We don't know exactly what we have in Brock, and not for certain JT doesn't go pro.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mathis leaving is not a shocker. The "when" of it is. He could at least have remained with the program until season's end. UGA bent over backward for him during his down time from brain surgery. Even his family admitted it. I am a bit disappointed in D'Wan. Kirby gave him every chance to make it at UGA. Even started him. Very fast with strong arm. Needed to refine these attributes and grow into the offense....but he just did not seem a "fit." He looked awkward on the playing field...sorry. However, I do sincerely wish this fine young athlete well! He will probably land back in MI with Michigan State...pure speculation....noted by others as well.

Daniels(?) Bennett, Beck... and 5-star Brock Vandagriff.....that's the room for 2021. I pray JT gives it another year to build his stats and improve draft status. If not, Kirby will be looking at the transfer portal once again for proven experience. UGA simply must get some QB consistency!!! At least past one season! Otherwise, UGA will surely continue to be a bridesmaid. Brock V. gives me some hope. Even Beck.

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Best of luck in your future Mr. Mathis, in everything you do..GoDAWGS!

Just watched the most recent Highlights of Brock Vandergrift, he threw 7 Td's, good on him , but he's clearly not playing against top talented defenses. HIs guys are generally wide open. The thing that concerns me though is half of his passes come out of his hand wobbly. Don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, go watch for yourself. He just doesn't throw a clean tight spiral consistently.

• Trey33Trey33 Posts: 133 ✭✭✭ Junior

Good luck to you Dwan go back to the big 10 and become a star!! If I give you gas money can Stetson ride with you drop him off anywhere please

• valaswvalasw Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

I wish Mathis the best! M Griffith are you implying that the offense was too complex for Mathis to learn?? If so please stop it man! Just because the kid wants to transfer because he knows his path to starting is going to be difficult doesn't mean that he's not capable of learning the offense?? Geesh

• KBPKBP Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@UGA66,

"UGA bent over backwards for him during his downtime from brain surgery".

Are you suggesting he should forfeit the rest of his athletic future and remain at UGA because they did what was right? I'm proud of how they took care of him and I want to believe any school would have done the same thing. I'm happy he's not allowing that to dictate his loyalty at the expense of his desire to play. Right now Daniels and Bennett are better and he's not going to supplant both of them.

I think it's very wise to get into the portal now because he'll get a head start on other QB's who may enter the portal. It's not like he's Lawrence or Fields where a team would hold a scholarship for them until they decide what their next step is. If either of them hit the portal, they would be guaranteed to be QB1. Mathis hasn't proven to be that caliber of QB. He'll have more suitors now than if a larger number of other Power 5 QB's hit the portal.

The more I dig around the more I find on JT and the more I realize just what a gem we have and hopefully will have next year, if he stays. I swear I think Kirby needs to do a little research himself. I don't think he gets it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAjN_EjHpRo

• MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@valasw --- Please do not put words in my mouth. I'm saying it's an NFL style of offense that he did not have time to learn, same reason Carson Beck has not played yet, same reason most freshman sit or redshirt in offenses with Pro Style offense. It takes time if you didn't play it in high school. Tennessee having the same issue, Harrison Bailey just recently getting on the field. People act like it's easy to just walk on the field and play in a Pro Style offense -- shows they do not know what they are talking about. Trying to explain it so people will understand it's not a matter of a kid being good enough.

• jvillebiljvillebil Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

I would doubt seriously if Beck isn't gone at the end of the year. JT will be the starter next year and Vandergriff will probably be his back-up. I love Bennett and he loves UGA but I just think the SEC is a bit over his head. He will probably be 3rd in line. If I were Beck I'd be shopping myself around right after the season.