Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Vanderbilt fires head coach Derek Mason before Commodores play Georgia football

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited November 2020 in Article commenting
imageVanderbilt fires head coach Derek Mason before Commodores play Georgia football

Georgia just beat South Carolina, who was led by interim coach Mike Bobo after the Gamecocks fired Will Muschamp. Now Georgia's next opponent will be led by an interim coach as Vanderbilt has fired head coach Derek Mason just six days before Vanderbilt takes on Georgia. Mason was in his seventh year at Vanderbilt.

Read the full story here

Comments

• PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Gotta win, even at Vandy.

• JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

I hope that Kirby will take this next game to really work on the passing game. We all know that the Dawgs should be able to run the ball down Vandy's throat just like SC. But really, what does that do for us??? Do we need freshman tailback Edwards getting another 14 carries while Pickens only gets 3 receptions? No! We need to see what Todd Monken and JT Daniels can do in the passing game.

Kirby needs to feed Pickens, Burton, McKitty, Jackson and all the other recievers and let them pad their stats, if for no other reason than to keep them interested (and to show the WR & TE recruits watching that we can do it). The coaches should think of this as preseason practice for next season and score 60 on this second undermanned team in a row. This time there is no beloved former Dawg on the other sidelne to take a knee on the 1 yard line for. We should so no mercy.

Back in 2017 GA used to call themselves SAVAGES, mostly for the defense. It's time for the offense to SAVAGE someone and unfortunately for Vandy coming into Sanford Stadium on Senior Day, they are going to be the lambs to the slaughter. Go Dawgs!

• PythonPython Posts: 157 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited November 2020

I hate to say it........I really do especially when a black coach is given an opportunity such as this.....but Mason just wasn't very good...even for Vandy

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Remember this: Fl 38 Vandy 17...and Vandy led early in that contest. I even wrote that Vandy looked "charged" and pretty good on offense against the Gators. Then disaster against Mizzou. Vandy had nothing to answer Missouri. Mizzou RB Rountree ran all over the field. Mason looked lost. Can see why they let him go. Abysmal record. Too bad, really. Vandy AD knew another disaster was about to occur when they visit UGA next week, thus Mason was let go. Todd Fitch is a figurehead until a new coach is hired. Let's see some action for young UGA players. I have no idea what Kirby is thinking. JT wants more air time. I know that.

• DAWGS34DAWGS34 Posts: 10 ✭ Freshman

I really wanted him to succeed. He seems like a good man. I hope he does well in the future.

• bull68dawgbull68dawg Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mason will take some time off and come back as a highly sought after Defensive coordinator soon. Brilliant mind. Vanderbilt is a tough to almost impossible job for any coach.

• SWDawg68SWDawg68 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Vandy is no different than any other school! Wins matter and so does public opinion. When you think about the millions of dollars that go into these programs and some only break even but a lot them are very profitable, you can't get beat up, week in and week out, let alone getting shut out by Missouri.

So, good luck on their search for a new guy, but you have got to find someone who will transcend the program with that level of talent.

This is what happens when you don't treat the program as a priority, give the guy 3 years and they will stil be the same as today!

Not being negative towards them but it will never change until the Administration is changed, which is not likely, great education though!!!!

• JuniorDawgJuniorDawg Posts: 13 ✭ Freshman

The academic standards are too high at Vanderbilt for any coach. Throw Yale and Harvard in the SEC and see what happens. God bless you coach Mason!

• kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Honestly, I feel like Vanderbilt should move on from the sec, as far as football. I don't feel like they have a large enough backing to keep up with everyone else as far as facilities, coaches salaries, or even enough just overall fan support. They have top notch education as far as education goes. Baseball is superior to a lot of teams. But at times it seems like football comes second to baseball at Vanderbilt. You don't ever hear of top notch players or 1st rounders coming from Vandy. I'm not knocking down the school. But at this day and age, it's gonna take MILLIONS upon MILLIONS for Vanderbilt to even become relevant in the facilities arms race. It's a losing battle for them. When Franklin bolted for PSU, which time is probably running out on also, Vanderbilt never showed any kind of ability to try and keep him. He was successful at Vanderbilt, but the SEC is a whole different monster now. Just my 2 cents.

• WCHWCH Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It appears that Vanderbilt is more interested in political correctness than winning football games. Why do they stay in the SEC? Is it for the money?

I hope that CKS works on a balanced offense against Vandy the weekend to see just what our potential for 2021 can be. I hope he wants to score 60+ points on them. It would be great entertainment and a wonderful possibility for our kids to show their stuff.

• tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

In the mid nineties I was in the hospital again, and after surgery on Friday i was looking forward to the Dawgs hosting Vandy on Homecoming. As the game unfolded, to my disdain the Commodores outplayed and beat the Bulldogs. Vandy was picked as the Homecoming opponent, as they usually are not that good of a team. Well it's 2020 and it's already been a strange year, hope the Dawgs are more than ready this time, even a wounded snake is very dangerous.