Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

WATCH: Georgia AD Greg McGarity stepping down, Josh Brooks early lead candidate

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited November 2020 in Article commenting
imageWATCH: Georgia AD Greg McGarity stepping down, Josh Brooks early lead candidate

Georgia has known for some time that Greg McGarity would soon be stepping down, and deputy athletic director Josh Brooks is the early candidate to replace him

Read the full story here

Comments

• JoeFannJoeFann Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

Thank you, Mr. McGarity, for your leadership and devotion to UGA athletics. Good luck in your future endeavors. While I'm sure Mr. Brooks is very well-qualified, I hope the search committee will interview the lady that left UGA to be Virginia's (I think) AD. She did some outstanding work while at UGA, and I hope they will at least gauge her interest. Go Dawgs!

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I echo your statement @JoeFann. Definitely want to thank Mr. McGarity who caught A LOT of (in my opinion) undeserved flak early in his tenure. To me the biggest blemish is not his fault -- the loss of the 2018 NC game. But he has positioned UGA athletics well for the present and the future.

And I also echo your wish that the committee reach out to the former assistant AD, the woman who left for Virginia. I've never met her but from all I read and heard about her, she was a BIG part of the athletic department's success, including having a major role with the football team. She may not want to leave Virginia (it's a great academic institution and she has an NCAA Men's basketball championship in her portfolio), but I think that in terms of overall athletics department, that UGA would be a Top 5 job in the country. Go Dawgs!

• ugachrisugachris Posts: 24 ✭✭ Sophomore

Greg McGarity is a pathetic coward. On the day of Mark Richt's firing, he chose not to call a press conference because he didn't want to have to answer reporters' questions. Seven UGA fans went to Butts-Mehre to express their disapproval with some signs. Instead of going outside and talking to them or calling a press conference to answer questions from journalists, McGarity called security to chase away the seven UGA fans.

In the evening, Richt held a meeting with the players to discuss his firing. As the players were leaving Butts-Mehre, McGarity sent his security goons outside to prevent journalists from speaking with the players. Per Seth Emerson, "They got between media members and players, and at one point told the media to move across the street, which the media refused as the area is public property."

Sooner or later, every AD fires a coach. But not all of them handle it in such a cowardly way.

• VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 336 ✭✭✭ Junior

Never thought this day would come, bye bye Felicia aka McGarity. I won't miss you AT ALL!!!!!

• GoodLifeGoodLife Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

The McGarity tenure is an odd one. During his watch, the UGA football program fell woefully behind the rest of the SEC, particularly the upper echelon programs i.e. facilities, coaching salaries, support staff, etc - bottom half of the conference. During the latter part of his tenure, he leaves UGA well positioned to compete with any program in the nation. Money begets championships in college football. It just took McGarity awhile to come to that conclusion.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I will say one thing.....McGarity was good building the UGA athletic brand and handling all the funding development. I said one thing....! I wish him well of course. Contact Richt and see if he does? Mark is a gentleman, he will probably shrug it off.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Left to his own devices, McGarity gave Mark Richt a raise and contract extension for winning the freakin’ Belk Bowl and justifying the idiocy by stating, “10 wins are enough.” Luckily, the power brokers who do the major funding for UGA athletics disagreed! 10 wins are not enough for the flagship institution in the fourth best recruiting state in the nation! Within a year, McGarity was forced to send the complacent Richt packing and bring Kirby home no matter what it would take.

I am not surprised McGarity is leaving. He has been allowed to keep the title, but it has not been his athletic department, especially football, since the hiring of Kirby Smart. UGA’s enviable financial position even with institutionally unprecedented spending on football facilities has little to do with McGarity and everything to do with the power brokers making good on their promises that brought Kirby and bona fide national championship aspirations to Athens.

My biggest problem with McGarity is that he didn’t fire Richt sooner. After the fact, Richt admitted the obvious, that he had become complacent. Even then, McGarity did nothing until his hand was forced. What does Richt think about McGarity’s resignation? He should be eternally grateful that McGarity honored the extension and raise Richt got after the BELK BOWL win even though Richt never bothered signing the contract after almost a year had passed.

Hard to fire someone that avg 10 wins per season. Programs like Texas, Nebraska would love to be in that position for the past decade. Many fans don't like Richt - I get it, but he will go down as one of UGA's winningest coaches (rightfully so) in spite of the fact that the administration gave him very little support the last half of his tenure. Do you think that Kirby could accomplish what Richt did having given the same support? While I had no problem with the coaching change, the primary issue was not at the HC level but at the athletic director and board or directors level.

• dawg4lyfedawg4lyfe Posts: 22 ✭✭ Sophomore
    edited December 2020

Don't have much negative things to say in regards to McGarity. The football team is clearly the University's largest money maker, however, clearly the University has excelled tremendously in other sports. 2 Equestrian National Championships, 3 Women's Swimming and Diving, 1 Women's Tennis, 1 Mens Track and Field, and 1 Women's Track and Field all during McGarity's tenure. Granted, again, these sports are not the cash cows, however they make this University attractive to a TON of student-athletes who don't just tote the pigskin. McGarity had a role in bringing in Coach Crean which resulted in the acquisition of Anthony Edwards, who ended up being the #1 pick in the NBA Draft. Before Damon Evans committed an egregious act, he was geared for making UGA a top tier Football AND Basketball school, the likes of Florida during the Tebow and Joakim/Horford/Brewer era and Ohio State. Hopefully the next AD focuses on improving not only Football, but ALL of our other sports too. It's definitely possible, just have to have the right people in the right places. Here's to the future...

• tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Well, so long. Bring on the next AD.

• Topdawg2002Topdawg2002 Posts: 40 ✭✭ Sophomore

Heck with all that. Think of this what a honor Kearis Jackson being on that list.

It’s not that I didn’t like Richt. I didn’t like his obvious complacency. Say what you want about 10 wins, I didn’t like getting bowl games out of the way before New Year’s most seasons. As far as support, Richt got what he asked for. When he had the opportunity to upgrade Butts-Mehre, he chose palatial offices, new meeting rooms, and the Nalley practice closet as Pruitt referred to the indoor practice facility. Unlike Kirby, Richt didn’t demand excellence, he was content with just good enough. If Richt were still HC like many wish, not because of his coaching but because of his “good man” persona, the Dawgs would still be barely cracking the top 10 in recruiting, the facilities wouldn’t be much better than they were, and we would have spent the last five years the same way we spent the last 10 years of Richt’s tenure...spending October trying to figure out how we can back into the SECCG, then making plans for the holidays in Orlando or Charlotte at best, but most likely Nashville or Jacksonville or even Shreveport.

• dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

So, we're going to put the UGA program in the hands of a rookie? Why not find someone from another elite conference? Excellent, winning non-SEC coaches drool over SEC openings, I'm sure they have AD's that would covet an elite SEC job. You want a big-time program, hire big time talent with a proven track record.

This is not the time to give someone a "shot" and see what they can do with the opportunity. Now is the time to hire a winner that can hit the ground running with big program ideas that will take us to another level. This shouldn't be an OJT job.

Heck, find someone like, but maybe not, Urban.

Do the research... Richt asked for an IPF years prior to UGA actually building one. He also asked for an improved locker room/recruiting facility and never got one. There was no reason for UGA to be in the bottom half of the SEC in so many areas no matter who the coach was. Kirby was influential in making changes but you had to be blind not to see what others around the SEC were doing (and Clemson). Not keeping up was a complete an utter failure as an AD.