Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia needs more points, Kirby Smart hints at offensive changes

SystemSystem Posts: 10,478 admin
edited December 2020 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia needs more points, Kirby Smart hints at offensive changes

ATHENS — Georgia football needs to score more points on offense, a lot more points, and the Bulldogs head football coach knows it. “The be-all and end-all is, are you scoring points?" Kirby Smart said last week. The Associated Press Top 25 voters moved Indiana (No. 8) and Coastal Carolina (No. 11) ahead of the

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    LowcountryLowcountry Posts: 104 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm a big fan of most of what Kirby has done at Georgia, but with the talent level on this team, the on-field results should be much better than they are. We should not ever be losing to teams with less talent, and Kirby has done a lot of that. Other teams make winning look easy. Georgia makes it look tough.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Having a "Balanced" attack IS important, but to me that just means being able to run the ball and pass the ball effectively - equally so. Basically, if the defense doesn't respect one side of your game then they will load up to that side and make you prove yourself. You MUST have a good running game to open up the passing attack and those explosive plays.

Coastal Carolina only passed for 85 yards, but they were able to control the line of scrimmage and the clock for much of the game. They rushed for 281 yards. Would that type of offense work against the best Power 5 teams today that score a lot of points? I doubt it. And if you can't pass effectively then you'd better not get behind much on the scoreboard, or you won't be able to catch up with just a great running game. SO, if the elite teams are using RPO effectively then your team better be doing the same thing.

• Options
    WstsononeWstsonone Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

We have not lost to any team with less talent except for South Carolina last year. We do have a lot of talented we should always score more points. We should never take a knee at the one yard line so as not to embarrass the other team. The freshman RB who ran the ball all the way down the field should have been given the chance to score his first college football touchdown.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I respectively disagree with the idea that UGA was hamstrung by Stetson bennet's lack of arm strength . Go back and watch the tape and you can see there were too many times he over threw his receivers on deep balls. As I have said before on here that all of our QB's and virtually every D-1 QB can rare back and throw a football 55 yards or more. Matt Corall won a contest where he threw it 73 yards in the air. But it doesn't matter , most deep passes are in the 45-55 yard range. You hardly ever see any throws where the point at which the receiver touches the ball is 60 yards or more from where the QB let it fly from. hat's rare.

Now on throws across from the field from one side to the other, the "deep out" they call it, then yeh, having more zip on it certainly matters, but I don't believe that's the type of throw that UGA QB 's have missed so many times on. What we're really talking about is accuracy on the deep go routes. If anything JT has underthrown a couple of those(still completed) but they could have gone for the whole enchilada but the receiver had to slow down and wait a second for it and the defender caught up. But at least it was catchable, you can't catch an overthrow.

• Options
    BassDawgBassDawg Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior

Looking back at the year I am more understanding with what has transpired. Too many variables hit us, especially at the QB position. I like what Kirby is saying here and am excited to see the results moving forward. There does have to be balance, as others have said running opens up the pass and pass opens up the run. Keep penalties to a minimum and no turnovers and you have a recipe for success.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Other teams make winning look easy. Georgia makes it look tough."

I agree with that. Some of that is due to playing down to the competition and some of that is due to KCS's philosophy of getting up on a team and then running out the clock, limiting mistakes by the offense instead of putting the dagger in. It's why we lost to BAMA in the NC game. We went conservative and got away from what had gotten us ahead. Put the brakes on Jake. "Oh no, he might throw an interception."

• Options
    dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

Georgia has been the object of our opponents highlight films too many times.

Kirby is a slow learner.

Regarding the QB position, most dawg fans could tell Kirby, "I told you so three games ago."

I can accept that Kirby is slow on the offense strategy uptake. My big concern is that his defense strategy for Alabama and Florida was pretty awful. He was out coached on defense both times.

Is it Kirby or those he has surrounded himself with?

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m freaked-out that we are a 2 TD favorite over Missouri because it has everyone thinking we will steamroll the Tigers. According to the polls we are the 4th best team in the SEC behind Bama, Texas A&M and Florida, BUT Missouri is #5 placing them ahead of Auburn in the Coaches poll. Missouri has the 4th best offense in the SEC and we are #8. We have the 2nd best defense, but Missouri is close behind at #4. To add insult to injury this is a road game for the Dawgs and starts at 11:00am Central time. Hopefully several of our key injured players will return because we need all hands on deck for this game. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    10DAWG10DAWG Posts: 254 ✭✭✭ Junior

This is the exact same thing that was said last year, need to be balanced, control the line of scrimmage, and be more explosive. Well, until they take advantage of what the defense gives them by being less predictable and using more imagination with the the weapons that they have, it makes that task more difficult. I do have faith that after 3 years of the same o, same o, things are going to change, cause they have to.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

BubbaBill wrapped it up and bowed it nicely. Where are these rose-colored glasses coming from? Mizzouri is one tough team on offense...capable of high scoring. UGA is not one tough team on defense any longer...not as it was lauded to be...especially against the passing game. Eliah Drinkwitz is an offensive master mind. He will quickly assess UGA's weaknesses and plan accordingly. I am very uneasy about the results of this contest. Have been for a while. Because I am a UGA alum, I am taking UGA by 7 pts. Maybe JT will run the table? Maybe smart is instituting some upgraded offensive scheme he seems to be hinting at? Both better be right if they want to win this one.

• Options
    oddsbodkinoddsbodkin Posts: 176 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kirby says he wants points but what we get is “eat clock and rest the defense” despite our defense personnel rotating out every other down (and not getting into rhythm). It’s all wrong. We need our defensive stars to play more snaps and amass huge defensive stats and put them into the 1st round. And we need to pass to win. Not run to win.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nice article for the most part.

Kirby isn't newly "getting it" if you mean by that newly understanding the game and what it takes to win. People who think and say that don't know football nor do they know Kirby. Nobody wants to win more than our coach.

Kirby was hamstrung much of this year. His hotshot OC was missing a key component. Also, we've had injuries in our two most important and most irreplaceable defensive players.

Had neither of the above occurred (missing big time QB, missing big time D lineman, missing big time safety) we'd probably be undefeated.

That said, we're in for a war on Saturday morning. We will need our A-Game.

Winning by one point against anyone much less a dangerous Missouri team able to rapidly move downfield in big chunks suits me fine.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    GoodLifeGoodLife Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

Exactly!!! I too, like Kirby and relish the fact that "one of our own" is running the program. However, given that UGA has spent millions upon millions to acquire elite talent & a top 4 roster, we should be performing to that level. 2020 is a whacky year, but the usual suspects i.e. Clemson, Alabama, OSU, all do not seem to miss a beat. Our roster is no different from theirs.

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Give me a break! Media ranking Coastal 8th and Georgia 15h? Maybe Coastal will agree to play us if Vandy backs out.

• Options

Concur. Mizzou's young QB Connor Bazelak tallied 380 yds in the air Sat. against a stubborn Ark. team. Kid is good. Linebacker Nick Bolton is very good also, plus razzle-dazzle RB Larry Rountree, whom I have mentioned many times before. If UGA can win this one it will make a bold statement. MO coach Eliah Drinkwitz, in his first year, is showing what he is made of...winning. He took a very good App. State team to 12-1 last year before moving on to Missouri. He has won 5 of his last 6 games. Kirby is going to have to let all the Dawgs out to win by 14 pts. against this improved team. Yeah, if we win by 1, I will smile. UGA must contain Bazelak to be in this contest. JT must be playing at the peak of his game as well.

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

You still have to control the line of scrimmage offensively if you're going to throw downfield. There are no 3 step drops and throw 30+ yards downfield. The QB and receivers need time and that's not happening if you don't control the line of scrimmage.

Regarding our defense, I've been more disturbed by the scheme than the talent especially against Florida and Miss State.

The only ranking that matters at this point is the ranking that will allow us to play in a New Year's Six Bowl after we win these next two games.

• Options

My last post was in response to Jim Wallace. His quote disappeared somehow.Sorry, Jim.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

What a joke this OPINION ranking system is. Keep your opinion system and double the playoff contention number. Margin for error goes way down with an eight team playoff system.

UGA would destroy Coastal Carolina. I am not saying we are in the top five but we absolutely belong in the top ten, ahead of Coastal Carolina! Are you kidding me? It will likely be thirty years before Coastal Carolina is in the top ten again.

You want to score more points, get the playmaking receivers the ball! 60/40 receivers sounds about right..

P.S. I do not see anyone stopping Bama this year. I hope the gators get demolished on the 19th.

• Options
    Dawg01Dawg01 Posts: 53 ✭✭✭ Junior

I do not have anything against Coastal Carolina or BYU. Watched a descent amount of the game. Just my impressions, but both defenses looked slow, especially at the line of scrimmage and both looked undersized. I think Georgia would push either of these teams all over the field and would just about score at will. No chance either of those teams could stack up to Georgia's size of speed.

Offense? Georgia has too many athletes on the other side of the ball. Either would struggle moving the ball on the Dawgs, with both QB'S running for their life most of the night.

Coastal is a nice story - that's it... Throw Georgia out; this team gets smoked by 10 of the 14 teams in the SEC and likely loses to all but Vandy. They had better hope and pray they catch someone playing in December. If they play in January - they are going to get embarrassed.