Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Report: UGA talks to Colorado State about playing this weekend

SystemSystem Posts: 10,485 admin
edited December 2020 in Article commenting
imageReport: UGA talks to Colorado State about playing this weekend

Could UGA play Colorado State in a non-conference game this Saturday? That's one of the possibilities being discussed, per ESPN's Mark Schlabach. The No. 9-ranked Bulldogs were scheduled to play Vanderbilt this weekend, but the Commodores backed out on Monday, citing a lack of sufficient players. It was the second

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I really hope an opponent is found. But I’m wondering—What does it take to set up a game? Prepping to travel at the last minute with equipment, hotels, transportation—that would be logistically tough. Then there are practice/prep to play against a new team to consider. Has Kirby or McGarity commented on what’s involved?

• Options
    USADawgUSADawg Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree that this seems like a lot, but at the same time, it is kind of exciting. Without all the prep for a specific opponent, it will require a lot of game adjustments that would be fun to watch, and then just a lot of "man up" and beat your opponent. Using Army jargon, this is like a "movement to contact" type game plan vs. a "deliberate attack" which is what is typically planned every week.

I really want our Seniors to have a chance to play one last game between the hedges. It would be great to send them off the right way.

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sankey needs to kick Vandy out of the SEC!

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think it was Mike Griffith who commented on the size of college football rosters and teams being unwilling to play their walk-ons. These kids practice every week--why not let them play in this instance? It it hard to believe they couldn't field a team.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If you have to you practice in a **** mall. Just do it in other words.

• Options
    charliewcharliew Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

BYU and Coastal Carolina did this in 3 days. If they can agree today it should be no problem, with the possible exception of the SEC saying NO!

Other conferences have upheld their conference only rule so we just have to wait and see.

• Options
    ColoradoSkiDawgColoradoSkiDawg Posts: 35 ✭✭ Sophomore

Colorado was able to set up a game with San Diego State within a couple days after their game with USC was cancelled. CU was to fly to Los Angeles but had a home game with SDSU instead. It can be done especially with charter flights which is the norm.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I would think that if SEC doesn't allow this, they'd allow SOME sort of "local" team. GA State, GA Southern, etc. Some school has to have an open week and are willing to get in another big time game plus a nice paycheck.

• Options
    JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 367 ✭✭✭ Junior

Here's what needs to happen. Instead of going to Knoxville this weekend, TxAM needs to come to Athens to play the Dawgs. Then Ole Missy travels to TN to play in place of the Aggies. Finally, LSU sits at home and misses their final game. That would be fitting punishment for the Tigers for all of their recruiting violations (their self-imposed bowl ban means nothing). Besides, they already had their bowl game with the upset of FL. Of any teams in the conference, LSU is most deserving of missing their final game over the Dawgs.

• Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

How about Clemson? Call Swinney out about how they're not being "protected" by the ACC. It's only an hour and a half drive. And a great way for UGA to play in a hypothetical "championship" game (assuming Clemson thinks it's going to get there).

Yeah, I know, won't EVER happen. But a delicious thought.

Or maybe the Irish would like to revisit Sanford Stadium. Night game? Light show?

• Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Well said, and besides, UGA is set up to welcome a team (speaking of hotels and the rest). The other team simply has to get itself to Athens.

• Options
    Davedawg96Davedawg96 Posts: 6 ✭ Freshman
    edited December 2020

Call Troy and get it done. Their final opponent just canceled too and they’re not going to a bowl game. And hey, they’re a lot better than Vandy. Also, Colorado State will likely play Colorado.

• Options
    97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 348 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

So Vandy figured out how to do it when it was their Senior day on the line, but when they're traveling it's just too hard. Right.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am not for a Colorado State game. Besides: "If UGA found a new opponent for this weekend, the game would have to be approved by the SEC." True. I do not believe Greg Sankey will approve an outside SEC team, just to please the UGA seniors and coaches. That is not Sankey..IMO. He generally goes by the book...most of the time...Covid-19 did force him to make an exception with Cade Mays immediate eligibility at TN. Maybe Covid will force a repeat in this case? I'm thinking not.

What if Col. State beat UGA...what then? Affect bowl standing? Three losses. Not worth it for a minute. And, any injuries to key players?

• Options
    GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

Let's call it done, take our NY6 bowl, cash the check, sign some prospects and get ready to make 2021 the year!

• Options
    Topdawg2002Topdawg2002 Posts: 40 ✭✭ Sophomore

Let's play Indiana so we can show just how week the little 10 is and hurt osu chance of playoff

• Options
    Wozzo_the_Wonder_DogWozzo_the_Wonder_Dog Posts: 189 ✭✭✭ Junior

Where is Georgia Tech hiding?

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'll say it again. Bowl money should be withheld from Vandy. If they can't filed a football team, then they don't get the money from other teams playing.