Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia's No. 3-ranked 2021 class hits needs, more work and attrition ahead

SystemSystem Posts: 10,668 admin
edited December 2020 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia's No. 3-ranked 2021 class hits needs, more work and attrition ahead

ATHENS — Kirby Smart said he knows he’s supposed to say Georgia football met all of its needs with Wednesday’s haul of 20 early signees, but the head coach knows that might not be entirely accurate. After all, Smart pointed out, how can he know exactly what the team needs are when underclassmen have until the middle

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2020

" The Tide and Tigers have several key players who are draftable each season return to become high first-round picks, rather than turn pro early and fall into the second half of the first round or beyond."

IF, a big 'If', that were part of the reason why we keep falling short every season then that falls back to coaching and how much of a bond the players have with the team and staff. Again, it's not the talent itself that we are lacking in that is really ANY part of our failing to make it back to the playoffs and win a Natty. It still ultimately goes back to the coaching, development, and game plan. Therefore, Saban and Swinney are clearly better coaches than Smart.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dabo being clearly better is debatable. Dabo didn’t become a genius until he was gifted Deshaun Watson by Richt and it still took more than five years to develop a roster that was championship caliber. There is also the fact Dabo and Clemson get to cakewalk into the playoffs annually. This year they had one regular season game against a legit opponent and what happened to Dabo’s genius? Yes, he was without Lawrence, but we are talking genius here and Dabo looked very ordinary! I still wouldn’t trade Kirby and what he is building for Dabo and what he has at Clemson!

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2020

“I always want to get two pillars, I’m talking about a guy who won’t give up the point and can make a run or make it hard to run against,” Smart said. “Those are always hard to find in defensive linemen, which is who we love to have.”

I could not agree more with the aforementioned. I have been saying it for a year, our defense is different when Jordan Davis is not on the field. We are not as good, period. If Davis does come back for 2021 I will be jumping for joy, AND, I guarantee he is awarded the highest honor for a lineman if he remains healthy through that season. A close second would be Arik gilbert transferring to us.

Well done Kirby and company. Shumann is the man!

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2020

Griffith, isn't Zeus still on the team? NO WAY he enters the draft without another season. No way.

• Options

I don’t understand why Dawg Nation isn’t absolutely giddy over getting Brock even more than the off the charts excitement of the Eason signing. There is no comparison between Vandagriff’s athleticism and mechanics compared to Eason’s. If there are winter workouts and spring practice, JT had better come prepared to be pushed in the fall! Bennett will always be remembered as the Dawg’s Rudy, but he is out of the picture for playing time in 2021 unless catastrophe strikes.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2020

Dabo is the second best coach in the nation. Dabo has also done something we can't seem to do: Beat Bama. Last I checked Kirby was 0-3 against Bama. Clemson can't help that they are stuck in the ACC. Just like the Dawgs can't help that they are stuck in the weaker SEC East. No doubt the Dawg's W-L record wouldn't be as good if we were in the West. Let's be honest here. Heck, we wouldn't even have an SEC division title under Kirby if we were in the West.

Clemson always proves it deserves to be in the playoffs. When they show up they usually win. Dabo is 4-1 in CFP semifinals and 2-2 in the Championship. He has 2 National Championships.

Kirby might be as good as Saban or Dabo one day. BUT, he has yet to prove that after 5 seasons and numerous Top 5 recruiting classes. It's great having another elite recruiting class, but Smart needs to do something with it. You may be tickled pink with Kirby, but he's got to prove himself and make his goals. It's not enough just to be a good coach and a great recruiter. I want a great coach and a great recruiter.

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Would like to read a postmortem on what happened with Maason Smith. If pulling players out of Louisiana is that difficult, than recruiting resources may need to be reallocated elsewhere.

• Options
    fatdawgfatdawg Posts: 159 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think he goes as well. After two major injuries he is healthy and there is enough tape on him. Maybe a mid to late draft pick but go while healthy and get what you can. I don't see him as being able to play his way into the top 2 rounds and if he can go, say fourth round that is still a nice signing bonus. (S. KIndley signing bonus was $785K). Even low fifth round is $300K. Not life changing but a nice start and if he makes the team rookie salary is $620K.

I may be wrong but I think he goes. What surprised me is he thinks James Cook stays.

• Options
    BigTenEatsFartsBigTenEatsFarts Posts: 147 ✭✭✭ Junior

How do we get Matt Landers in that transfer portal? Haha I feel for the kid but he is brutal to watch

• Options

How many times did Dabo beat Saban and the Tide his first five years? Oh, that’s right, he didn’t play Bama or beat any team close to championship level competition and was very mediocre even in the All Cupcake Conference. You say if Kirby was in the SEC west.... well, if Dabo was in the SEC west, his record would have more losses and the NCs would be debatable as well. Agreed, Dabo has grown into a great coach and built a great program. Given the same amount of time to build the UGA program, Kirby will be in the same conversation. You seem to try to make the case Dabo was great from day one which simply isn’t true!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

IMHO the three primary keys to success are Coach Monken, Coach Luke, and y’all forgive me please having a brain cramp here our DL Coach. KS will make sure the Secondary is coached up though a little thin on players as compared to previous years, I’m saying that based on the expected departures of guys to the NFL and Seniors. Coach Monken gets JT even more comfortable and JT develops even better chemistry with the receivers. Coach Luke gets the O line consistent on pass pro and opening holes for the fun game and our DLine Coach gets a consistent pass rush and run stoppers then Look Out !! Dawgs on their way to a Natty !! Recruiting is not over, as I understand it ( please correct me if I’m wrong and I sure could be) KS is looking to ink 3-4 more players when it’s all said and done for recruiting. And he’s already peaking into the transfer portal. So as we all know it all boils down to coaching these players up. KS is now a veteran HC. Monken and Luke are veteran coaches. Pretty much all the top coaching staff are experienced now. Without sacrificing quality time for our starting players I’d like to see as much time as possible spent on our second and third string guys so that if the injury bug comes creeping around the drop off won’t sting quite as bad. If the coaching staff remains intact. And if there is not some kind of flood gate of guys leaving early to the NFL or surprise transfers the Dawgs should be right in line for a Very serious run for a National Title. This is not intended as sarcasm or disrespect to Kirby in any way but It’s Time. He has the players, he has the coaching staff, he has the resources. It’s time. Barring a tremendous resurgence of COVID or something along those lines there’s no legitimate reason that UGA can’t compete and Win against the best of the best in 2021. Time for Kirby to seal the deal. Sorry this was so lengthy.

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Mike your takes are always interesting because you constantly challenge Kirby. There's very little chance that we'll hold onto Davis, although we know that he is the most critical component of our DL and run defense. I don't blame him for seeking his payday, although it would be awesome if he came back for another season. The question is what are Dabo and saban doing to get top draft prospects to risk injury and return for one more year?

• Options
    DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 415 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm sure I will be criticized for what I'm about to say and I hope and pray that I am wrong. I'm excited as anyone for the Vandagriff signing, but I have concerns. Jake Fromm took his team to the quarterfinals in the highest classification in Georgia, JT Daniels played in the highest classification in California and won a National Championship, and Carson Beck won a State title his junior year at the highest classification in Florida. Vandagriff plays for a Class A private school. My point is obvious: Can he make the jump to the SEC and adjust? I've seen the film and he impresses with his arm, athleticism and smarts. But still, look at his competition. When the game speeds up tremendously, I just hope he makes the adjustments.

• Options
    GoodLifeGoodLife Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

Dabo only really became good AFTER Clemson began to spend huge on their program, thus being able to recruit the elite athlete(s). Prior to that, UGA, more times than not, got the better of Dabo & Clemson during the few times we played each other. Yes, it took Dabo several years to get there, but it was the financial support that got him to where he is today. Kirby has had it from day 1 and has been not had a recruiting class out of the top 5 since he arrived!!!! Also, over the past 5 years, Clemson hasn't averaged any better in recruiting than UGA. They just have had better QBs and do a really good job at developing players. Alabama, Clemson, & OSU SHOULD be the programs we judge UGA/Kirby against. And I doubt any of those programs would have lost to UF this year.

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I saw Trevor Lawrence in the first game of his senior season throw a touchdown pass in tight coverage that would have been complete in any league. The ball zipped by a linebacker and defensive back into the hands of his receiver. I know he played in a public higher league but I don't think it would have mattered if he had been in the NFL. I don't mean that I think he was in any way ready for the NFL, only that that one pass would have been completed. I understand your concern but I trust Kirby and staff to judge talent and readiness to play in the SEC. Hold off on your Justin Fields comments, I said TALENT and READINESS to play.

• Options
    BassDawgBassDawg Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior

My two cents on Brock "The Rock". I understand everyones concern about the lower level league he is in but at the end of the day it's his mechanics and skill level that matters. I watched his last game on TV in full, it's the first time I really had a long look at him. They beat the tar out of ELCA who is a very good team over the years - not as good this year but still extremely talented. If you just cooncentrate on watching him he has all the skills, moves and intellect of a top QB and doesn't matter who you are playing. As long as the O-line can give him a few seconds to make his move he is one of the best I have seen in a long time. I'm 63 years old and seen much in my time, I don't comment much either but I will here. I think we will all be pleasantly surprised at his contribution to making us the best and going for a natty - he is a guy that can do it. He has the confidence and quick decision making of Fromm, the mobility of any mobile QB and an arm of strength and accuracy of JTD. Next year should be incredible and 2022-2023 out of this world!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well it would seem that the offense must get better and take up the slack from the losses on the defensive side of the ball. If we lose Herring, Davis, Azeez, Campbell, Rochester, the safety, and Eric Stokes, there is very little chance we become better. Perhaps the new guys can become as good, but hard to believe they would excel over this year's defense, if experience and aging matters, and I believe it does.

From what I've seem so far, I don't think averaging 40 points next season will be a problem. We will have to boat race people, even if Kirby doesn't like it. It seems to have worked for BAMA in a down year defensively compared to some of their defenses of the past few years.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Isn’t Podlesny returning?

• Options
    dawgfromduluthdawgfromduluth Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

It's all about the QB. Ask Chizik. Ask Malzahn. Ask Ogeron. Ask Nick. Ask Dabo. Ask Urban. You gotta have a Heisman candidate QB to win the NC. Why? Like Saban said, "Offense wins championships".

• Options
    rhclaghornrhclaghorn Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

Looking for an article that shows who we’ve signed and who is still on our big board. This one just shows our current roster.