Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football set for New Year's Day Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl matchup

SystemSystem Posts: 10,441 admin
edited December 2020 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football set for New Year's Day Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl matchup

ATHENS — Georgia football will cap its season against an undefeated and determined Cincinnati team in the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl. The No. 9-ranked Bulldogs (7-2) and the No. 8-ranked Bearcats (9-0) will kick off at 12:30 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 1, in Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta. ESPN analyst Kirk Herbstreit

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Thanks, but no thanks. Absolutely nothing gained by play a group of five team. Both UGA and TxAM (who got screwed) should opt out.

• Options
    IowadawgfanIowadawgfan Posts: 64 ✭✭ Sophomore

Lots to gain .. new players that want to play .. recruiting purposes.. and more experience for our offense against a good cinci team that was being talked about in the cfp

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That’s an interesting take. Typically I wouldn’t agree with you, but the more I think about it, the more I like it. I say blow off the wishes of the committee who with their rankings made a statement on their values. Screw the committee and let’s have a senior appreciation day at Sanford stadium!

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Opt-out=I quit

I quit on my teammates, coaches and fans.

• Options
    GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

In other post some had told me I was crazy about my stance on leadership. Leadership plays and does not quit. These opt out demonstrate the leadership that is present. I agree with posts below, looking forward to new players getting a chance to show their talent. Let's hope it is demonstrated and they can become new leaders (long-term!).

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Those players who want to opt out, are doing what they feel is best for them. I can understand that. But, if this were me, and I were a current player on this team, there is NO WAY I would miss going into battle with my brothers for one last time! No way I would miss this bowl game! No way I would pass putting on that Georgia uniform one more time! Absolutely no way! Yes, I understand the possibility of getting hurt and potentially losing millions of dollars, but my Dawg brothers come first. Besides, what are the odds of getting seriously injured? I'm not going to criticize anyone for opting out, and for those who choose to do so, I thank them for their time as a Dawg, and I certainly wish them the very best.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Defensive players Richard LeCounte, Eric Stokes, Monty Rice, DJ Daniel and Mark Webb are not expected to play in the bowl game, per UGASports.com, and outside linebacker Jermaine Johnson is in the transfer portal.

"Georgia offensive players Ben Cleveland and Tre’ McKitty are also expected to opt out of the postseason game."

Can UGA beat a decent Cincy team with these opt-outs? Yes. Shades of Baylor, who lost only to OK, twice. UGA will step up and give the youngsters a chance to prove their ratings. There may be more opt-outs before January, as this has been a disappointing year for the Dawgs overall. We will see.

• Options
    2statedawg2statedawg Posts: 21 ✭ Freshman

“I think that’s tough, but welcome to 2020. It’s unfortunate for our seniors who really wanted to play, and those guys were excited to get one more game in Sanford Stadium,” Smart said on Wednesday. “They wanted to finish off at home with their families, and I know that better than anybody how important that last game is in Sanford Stadium. It’s a crushing blow to not be able to get that game for them, but they understand it, and they’ve moved on now.”

So, they were willing to play in Athens, but not in Atlanta at the Peach Bowl.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Opting out shouldn't be an option. Would they 'opt out' if we made the playoffs? Pad your stats and show off for a New Years Day bowl. What is wrong with these people? You got to skip out on a Vandy game plus had a shortened schedule and you can't be bothered to play one game in Atlanta against an undefeated #8 team?

From all of the fans and your teammates that say this behind your back. F... You.

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The chances of a career ending injury are slim but can anyone GUARANTEE those kids that the slim chance of injury won't happen to them? The kids who choose to sit out don't lack integrity nor lack leadership potential. They are putting potentially millions of dollars for their families ahead of their teammates AS THEY SHOULD. Neither UGA, teammates, nor fans will take care of their families if upon the RARE occasion they get injured and can't play anymore.

• Options
    DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 410 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Help me understand this. If we only played 6 games, would the player(s) opt out of the 6th game? How about 12 games? Would they opt out of the 12th game? Do they just opt out of their last game, regardless of how many that is? Based on that assumption, why don't those players leaving after the season just announce before the season even starts that they aren't going to play in the last game? I don't understand it. You've been playing football presumably since you were 6 or 7 years old, and all of a sudden you are afraid you will get hurt in your very last college game.

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yes, an injury can occur. But it can happen in game 2 just as easy as game 11. Why not just guess which game you'll get hurt and opt out of that one? This is going to get out of hand. What's to stop a player from opting out of the last two, three, four games? As soon as a player's stock is high, just opt out of everything until NFL draft. I think if a player opts out, he is immediately off the team and loses scholarship. He can buy a ticket to the game, maybe. What a crock. Chicken s**t.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2020

This bowl against Cincy should be a good test for JT and the entire team. I'm excited about the matchup. Cincy is legit, and I expect them to be more excited, pumped, and ready to play than the Dawgs. Everyone needs to stop whining about players opting out. If players opt out then so be it. Every player has got their reasons, and Kirby will just have to field the best team we can. It will also give more playing time to backups (which is important). We can go into this game, play well, and come out with a victory which will do wonders heading into 2021. Or we can laugh off this Cincinnati team as a cupcake, think we deserve more respect, lose the game, and become the laughing stock of the SEC!

So, I say Kirby needs to fire up the team and bring his A game to the Peach Bowl!

GO DAWGS!!

• Options
    Bigjohnson92Bigjohnson92 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The easy way to keep guys from opting out is to be in the playoffs. Not sure Bama has any guys calling it a day. Not sure Clemson or OSU or ND do either. Get to the playoffs and chances of guys opting out goes WAY down. It’s a business decision for these guys and I do not blame them in any way. I’m loyal to me and my family at the end of the day. Pretty sure everyone else is too. Best of luck to these guys. They’ve been DGDs.

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Anyone claiming that Cincinnati is a legitimate top 10 team needs to rethink strength of schedule. How many games on UGA’s schedule would Cincinnati have been favored? Maybe 2? Playing the group of 5 team has no upside for anyone. If you win, it’s expected. If you lose, it’s because you didn’t bother showing up. This year was a cluster anyway. Why not pair up TxAM and UGA? At least then people would tune in?

• Options
    Bigjohnson92Bigjohnson92 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Bottom line. They don’t want to wait to sign with agents. They want some of that real cash money 2mrw. (Even though they have probably not gone without during their college days). Just guessing on the last part. 😉

Having said that, I am not a fan of them hanging around the team during bowl prep and the days leading up to the game. I truly believe that D Baker etc had a very negative effect on the dawgs for the Texas sugar bowl. Too many hurricanes on bourbon street. Big time distraction and a legit conflict of interest.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Auburn was humiliated by Central Florida several years ago in the Peach Bowl. We need to be ready to kick a$$ and show Cincinnati why they weren’t selected for the playoffs. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    brinkmanmsbrinkmanms Posts: 84 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think it is about time I opt out of working. Saved $1M in 47 years. Who am I to begrudge the decision of a 22 year old who has the chance to make that amount of money in a single year! Go Dawgs!

• Options
    GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

How about play and potentially raise your stock......millions?? Most will be lucky with thousands. Ask Holyfield and others how it is going?