Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia Peach Bowl roster shrinking, sacks leader Azeez Ojulari opts out

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited December 2020 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia Peach Bowl roster shrinking, sacks leader Azeez Ojulari opts out

Georgia football is beginning to look like a shell of itself with several players opting out of playing in the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl against undefeated Cincinnati

Read the full story here

Comments

• randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

I get it if a player is entering the draft or injured....financial or health risk of injury. I hate what it’s doing to college football but....for anyone else however, unless they are cowards and selfish.

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wow! That's a lot of starters off the defense.

We'll get to see a preview of who's in the running for their starting positions for 2021. All those missing starters should make for a more competitive game, that's for sure.

Get ready young pups, and GOOOODAWGS!

• My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 379 ✭✭✭ Junior

Well, I hope it’s for the best. I just hate how some of them will end up like Jake Fromm and other UGA greats who left early or didn’t use their last chance to impress scouts, to become late round draft picks or free agents. Just look at Trenton Thompson, the #1 DT and player from Georgia, left early after NC year, and was never drafted. He wasn’t ready and another year would have done wonders, now he can’t even stay on a Canadian league team, keeps getting cut! So please just make sure you at least get drafted to get something.

• Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

We MAY have a grand total of three senior starters. Wow! I am willing to bet Cincinnati has double digit starters which are seniors. The spread needs to go down a point for every starter that opts-out. Jermaine transferring, likely to another SEC team (aka Florida), really, really hurts.

I wish these young men the best and thank them for all they gave to this team! However, it still stings to see so many DGDs not fight for one more victory for the players remaining in the trenches, the University and us fans.

Next man up! Go Dawgs! Show those Bearcats what next year's team is going to look like!

I hope CKS picks up a stellar transfer or two at a position of need from the likes of Bama or Clemson.

• VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wonder where these kids are getting their draft advice. Let’s hope it’s not from those who look to gain fiscally from their status. I don’t know how to convince these kids to stick around longer and improve their draft status. We’ve seen the Thompsons and Fromms and Holyfields over the years. They leave early and aren’t ready and usually end up out of the league in 2-3 yrs.

granted, it’s their life and their call. I just feel as though some of the kids are getting poison poured in their ears at the expense of them hitting their potential so some slime bag agent can turn a commission.

• MacroDawgMacroDawg Posts: 50 ✭✭ Sophomore

Can the NCAA make a rule that student athletes play all games in the season unless injured or some family emergency or would that be an issue? i don't know, I am just thinking out loud here.

• VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I really wish somehow after all the opt outs happened that you could re rank the teams. That would be the fair thing to do because the dawg team that’s going to be on the field Jan 1st will not look anything like the team that’s played the last 3 months.

• GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

Really disappointed in Azeez. I though he would keep it up one more year. He is the highest rated UGA player per position, so I guess I understand. But as seen below, more time at UGA, higher draft, more$$.

Good luck to all of them!

• David1David1 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Opt-out = we quit

• Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If you are going in the 1st round or 2nd, then I understand. If not stay and get better....hint hint Alabama....

• RomeDawg288RomeDawg288 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wonder if Azeez' news will possibly give Jermaine Johnson pause to reconsider. Once in portal, athlete can still reconsider and reverse course. Beal did this last year. I know his father is greatly desiring him to jump to another school, but I'm thinking that Azeez in front had a lot to do with that. Would think Johnson would get most if not all of Azeez' snaps, and Azeez by far had the greatest number of reps at the OLB spots to my recollection.

• 10DAWG10DAWG Posts: 250 ✭✭✭ Junior

My how the times have changed, there was a time not too long ago, that if you were to quit on your team in season you would be shunned the rest of your life. Now it's becoming the norm and it's not just football players, society in general has made it easy to just up and walk away from a commitment without batting an eye. Makes you wonder what it's going to be like in 5 years.

• Bigjohnson92Bigjohnson92 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yep. A lot of marriages fall into this category. Def a societal shift. Not for the better.

• RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 174 ✭✭✭ Junior

We'll soon see how much talent and depth we have in the program.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Maybe it's this way with all the other teams. I'd be interested in knowing. Makes me wonder about these kids loyalty to their coach and if there's something missing there. If Florida kids and Texas A&M kids are doing this then that makes me feel somewhat better.

• DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Was listening to a game, North Texas vs. App State, and one of the on-air commentators mentioned having talked with a player for App State who has pretty high NFL draft prospects. He was asked about whether or not he'd thought to "opt out" of the game considering his potential draft status. You'd have to hear it, live, but sufficient to say, he barely even knew what they were talking about. "What, NO! Are you kidding? Of course I'm playing!" Why? As he explained, quite simply, because these are my brothers. How am I going to tell them I'm bailing?

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2020

I'd be interested to see all programs ranked by how many players they've had simply decline to play in at least one game since this trend began. I feel like UGA has been hit particularly hard, and it would be good to get that information and actually know where we rank. A side component could be the average draft status of all those players. Overall it just feels like there might be some kind of culture problem in this program, but without knowing how we stack up to the rest of the country it's hard to say. I'd like to believe that if/when we get over the championship hump this will settle down, but until guys decide more routinely that Georgia is worth sticking around for and cultivating some continuity and team chemistry rather than heading out at the first opportunity and creating this high turnover rate in the process, that's going to be relatively difficult to do.