Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Covid Vaccine

124»

Comments

• Options
    dgd829dgd829 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

IMO anybody that doesn’t wear a mask in public or doesn’t get the COVID vaccine when able is asking for the “Darwin Award”

And as someone who is not high risk, but has numerous loved ones in these categories I thank every who decides against wearing masks or getting the vaccine...

It just allows “smarter” people that are at less perceived “risk” get the vaccine sooner...

No complaints about telling you what you should do...

It’s a free country for a reason, y’all go do you, but that is the entire concept of Darwinism

• Options
    RchammondRchammond Posts: 17 ✭✭✭ Junior

Just like 1st and goal from the 1 doesn’t guarantee your going to score a touchdown (see FU game a couple years back), everyone taking the vaccine (or you specifically) doesn’t guarantee we can all go back to normal right away or not get COVID.

BUT you can be darn sure I’d choose first and goal (taking vaccine) over 2nd and 15 from mid field

Based on my own research, I think that is a fair representation of the decisions we all have to make in the coming months.

• Options
    TMazz2009TMazz2009 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So basically what you are saying here is that the Dawgs will roll the Bearcats and kickstart their 2021 Natty run. Exactly my thoughts as well.

• Options
    agudawgagudawg Posts: 19 ✭✭✭ Junior

And how does that make sense considering I have a better chance of dying in a car wreck? Am I a candidate for the Darwin Award every time I get in my car and drive?

• Options
    CLT_DawgCLT_Dawg Posts: 52 ✭✭✭ Junior

Clearly, several things are driving the anti-COVID vaccine beliefs. As Polynikes noted (among the many other informed, well-thought out, and clearly articulated comments), some of this is due to misinformation spreading on social media and even some traditional media sources. Some of this is magnified by the longer-term “campaigns” to devalue science and scientific expertise. Some of this is a function of our innate difficulties in processing the likelihood of an event occurring (for example, just because you have a ~1/106 chance of dying in a car accident over the course of your life doesn’t mean you have a 1/106 change of dying in a car accident every time you are in a moving car), which biases our perceptions of risks. Some of this comes from a collective action problem. Some in low-COVID-19 risk groups think their risks from the vaccine are higher than their risks from the virus. (And, as Polynikes and others note, is probably magnified by misinformation). Even if that were true, and the experts say it is not, the choice of the individual to refuse to accept this small risk causes major problems for society as a whole when, say 40 percent of the population refuses to take the vaccine. They are obviously putting all the others in that pool of 40% at greater risk. But they are also keeping the virus around, which increases the number of mutations. Had we had the scientific ability and the political wherewithal to fight the “Spanish” flu, we might have eradicated it by the 1920s. Instead, we are now in a position where the flu took hold, and is harder to fight, and is a major killer each year. Every year, the flu kills, on average, ~10 times as many people as we lost on 9/11/2001. Some of this is a function of politics. In general, we process political information through the biased lenses of our partisanship (just like we process football information through the biased lenses of our attachments to our favorite teams). Science in general, and the virus in particular, have been politicized by both sides. Indeed, it could not have come at a worse time in that regard-in the midst of a highly polarized period and a presidential election campaign. Finally, all of these things are magnified by one another, too. For example, people who are less empathetic have been more likely to receive misinformation, less likely to trust doctors, and there is reason to believe they less accurately perceive risks in general.

• Options
    agudawgagudawg Posts: 19 ✭✭✭ Junior

And when you take into account that they can not guarantee you won't still get this, it makes everything you said moot. I have not seen one instance where you are guaranteed not to get COVID because of this vaccine. Sounds like a false sense of security to me.

• Options
    CLT_DawgCLT_Dawg Posts: 52 ✭✭✭ Junior

Ummm, I think at a minimum the perception of risk part is highly germane. Virtually all medical choices involve accessing and weighing competing probabilities-and probabilities always by definition include uncertainties. And there are uncertainties on both sides of the equation, as viruses do mutate (again, another point that is far from mute), meaning your chances of infection and complications could change for the worse. And, similarly, when it comes to assessing risk from COVID, we have no idea what the long term effects are. I certainly didn’t enjoy shingles, and didn’t expect to get them 30 years prior when I had chicken pox.

I would also argue that the decision not to defer to experts, whether they are on this board, like Polynikes, are also pertinent. The overwhelming majority of experts believe the benefits to the individual and the community outweigh the risks. You choose to make your own decision because you do not trust the scientists.

And to be clear, I was merely trying to explain why 40% of the public says they are unlikely to get the vaccine or will not get it.

• Options
    Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2020

When my wife’s friend that works at the cdc atl told us not to get the flu vaccine yrs ago I don’t think we will get the covid one either. I wonder how many false positives are in the cases number 🤔 matter of fact how many times with anything do we count cases? Never

• Options
    JoeClarkJoeClark Posts: 428 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'll be first in line.

I'm usually not a fan of vaccines outside of the must haves but too many deaths and hospitalizations have changed my mind.

For me, it's not about if I will get COVID at a later date after taking the vaccine, after all, you can still get the flu after a flu shot, but about the weight of this on our medical system, my mental health, and my daily life.

It's about getting back to some sense of normalcy. Any bit of it and as soon as possible. I'm tired.

I'm sure I'm young and healthy to be okay but there are people I come into contact with that aren't in decent health. My friends, professors, family with underlying conditions. Or the wait staff at my favorite restaurant. I don't know what people are dealing with. So, it's as much for me as it is for them as well.

One thing to note, I likely won't be getting the follow-up shots if this becomes a seasonal thing like flu shots. That kind of frequency creeps me out.

• Options
    BangersBangers Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like the idea of a vaccine for the benefit of the community and for the sake of getting back to real life, but honestly I have been a bit skeptical about these MRNA vaccines. Apprehensive enough to read everything I can find about them. The more I read the more I am becoming convinced that these are both safe. I think generally speaking some apprehension and skepticism is wise, as long as we are not just blindly taking an anti-position just for the sake of being objectionable. I want to trust that the powers that be have everyone's best interests at heart in a situation like this, but its honestly hard to do that when they have been less than trustworthy in other situations. Sometimes, we just need to have a little faith in our fellow man though, right? Anyway, the more I read about these vaccines the more hopeful I become. When its available to me, I plan on taking it, not just for the relatively small chance it takes me away from my family that needs me, but also that it it might take them away from me. I would not be in favor of mandatory vaccines but do hope that we can and will willingly come together to fight this for the sake of our children and mankind - allowing ourselves to be convinced if we are convinced that is.