Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

RIP Phil Niekro. HOF Braves Pitcher

ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

Loved watching him throw the Knuckle Ball and baffling batters with it. I remember trying to master it myself way back then. I have an early teamed signed Braves baseball and Phil's sig is on it. Will always remember some of those players.

RIP Phil !!

Comments

• emanresuemanresu Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I remember watching him as a kid and back then the only time we felt like we had a chance to win was when he was on the mound. Didn't even know that he'd passed away. May the Good Lord b with him.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Crazy to hear it here first. Phil was dgb

RIP Knucksie !

• donmedeirosdonmedeiros Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I modeled my knuckler as a kid after his. Too bad I had zero other good pitches. It would occasionally dance for me. I loved practicing that pitch.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2020

He had a stretch where he was truly dominant. Unfortunately spent a lot of time on some really bad teams.

I’ll always remember his “stolen” base.

• Old_lady_dawg_fanOld_lady_dawg_fan Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I met him back in the day. (Picture a kid with eyes popping our of her head.) It was a social setting so I could observe him for a while and he seemed to be a genuinely kind and courteous person.

• PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2020

By far, my favorite Braves player of all time. I remember listening on the radio in the late 70’s when Knuxie almost broke up Pete Rose’s consecutive game hitting streak but gave up a hit to him late in the game to extend it to 44. The next night, the Braves held Rose hitless to end the streak.

• TurkDawgTurkDawg Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He was a bright spot on the Braves for many years and fun to watch.

I remember Willie Stargell of the Pirates hated having to face that knuckle ball of Niekro and would look silly trying to swing at it.

• how2fishhow2fish Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I met him a few times in the 80's and 90's out and about . Seemed like a great guys with some really funny stories. Great pitcher on some really awful teams. R.I.P

• SubmarineDawgSubmarineDawg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Sad news. RIP Knucksie!

• MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@TurkDawg If I remember correctly, Niekro pitched for 23 seasons, is probably one of the top-10 or top-20 in caarer strikeouts, and had a brother Joe who also pitched in the majors. And threw the knuckleball. Also, Hoyt Wilhelm of the White Sox (?).

I can believe that about Stargell. In fact, that knuckleball messed up some guy's hitting so bad it would carryover into subsequent games. Some hitters would actually take themselves out of a game as a result.

• jc30116jc30116 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Read under pitching repertoire to see what some of the all time greats had to say about his pitching. Watched a lot of his games as a kid and remember that last game he pitched before he retired. Made a lot of batters look silly over the years.

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My dad loved watching Phil Neikro. I hate that he died but it has brought back great memories of my dad.

• BarkingDawgBarkingDawg Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was at that game. Went just to see Niekro who had just been re-signed so he could play his last game and retire as a Brave. Should never have been traded but that’s another story. Competed day in and day out, year in and year out for some horrible teams in the 70s. He may have won 400 game’s elsewhere.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bob Horner was the first great Brave that I remember growing up. Phil was just before my time. But I remember my Dad and Grandad talking about Phil.

I knew a person that had to do some work in Phil's home once. He said there was a big stain glass window of a baseball in his house. And the baseball had a little notch in it lol.

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2020

I am sorry for the loss of this man.

Phil Niekro was an amazing baseball player. He figured out how to throw the most difficult to hit of all pitches, the knuckleball, at the very highest level. The pitch is hard to master, but throwing it doesn't drain the pitcher nor his arm. Thus he had a long, very successful career.

He has also a very capable hitter. A dangerous man at the plate. I believe I remember him hitting a home run (but I could be wrong).

I was fortunate to see Phil Niekro pitch many many times in the old Atlanta Braves stadium (the original stadium). He made many many great hitters look bad.

Go, Dawgs!

• DamnYankeeDawgDamnYankeeDawg Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Baseball loses another great player and HOFer in 2020.

Got to see him pitch at Veterans Stadium when I was a kid back in the late '70s. Maybe 78 or 79. Threw a complete game shutout. Braves won 4-0. He beat Carlton that day. Amazing I can remember this game and his pitching gem after all these years.