Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

JT Daniels comments on 2021 decision, shares why Georgia 'was exactly what was best for me'

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited December 2020 in Article commenting
imageJT Daniels comments on 2021 decision, shares why Georgia 'was exactly what was best for me'

While seemingly everyone else has turned the page to 2021 and what this Georgia offense might look like, JT Daniels has not. He is still very much on to Cincinnati and hasn't put too much thought into what might come after. Daniels was asked about a possible decision regarding the 2021 NFL Draft or whether to return

Read the full story here

Comments

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's clear that JT has a plan for his future. He will absolutely come back. This time next year he will have a high first round draft rating. GOOOODAWGS!

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The comments from Monken are very encouraging. Considering the mid-season improvement that we've seen, I'm almost giddy at the thought of these players and coaches getting a full off-season and pre-season to iron out the kinks.

• BassDawgBassDawg Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior

If everything works out like we think it will we will be a legit contender for the natty next year and JTD could possibly be the number 1 overall pick in the 2022 NFL draft. So much upside on this.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Respectfully, either I missed something, or you are a seer. He distinctly said (for the second time) he is not focusing on his future right now, just the game ahead in Atlanta. I got cold chills hearing that. He is looking toward his draft status down the road. I have heard those words so many times. JT needs another year to assure a high 1st round pick, on that we agree. Then I hear Brock Vandgriff now has to have knee surgery. This could be a very good 2021 or not so much...at least in the QB room....again.

SmartsTheMan...I hope you are right!!!

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm very encouraged by his attitude towards the only game that matters which will be played this coming Friday.

In 72 hours we'll have a pretty good idea how serious our team's preparation for and attitude towards the game has been, as we'll then be about finished with the first quarter of the Peach Bowl.

Go, Dawgs!

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Simply not in his best interest to come out in 2021, he won't go 1st round. No NFL coach is going to use a 1st round pick on potential alone. He will come back next season put up huge numbers and be one of the top QB's in the draft and get paid. Why give up millions?

• JoeFannJoeFann Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm no seer, but lacking cultural or academic issues causing him to leave, Daniels' return next year would likely make him a LOT of money, and I'm sure he and his family/team know that well. Playing only four games in two years will not be enough to give NFL teams confidence in his readiness. This year, there are at least four (and probably more) QBs that would be drafted ahead of him, and no guarantee he would be drafted high enough to bring anything close to the payday he would get in 2022. Of course, his health is likely the biggest issue, but a full year in the S&C program, a full spring practice, summer workouts and fall camp could see this offense take off like a rocket. Considering UGA has averaged over 40 points per game and almost 500 yards of offense per game, while only having Daniels taking the first team reps for six weeks or so, we are just beginning to see what this offense can be. With the weapons he'll have, he could easily be next year's Mac Jones/Kyle Trask/Joe Burrow, all of whom blew up in their second years starting in their programs. That would likely vault him into the top five of the 2022 NFL draft, and make his first contract worth many millions more than in the 2021 draft. Of course, those are a lot of ifs, but I would expect someone would buy a VERY large insurance policy based on future earnings to protect his security. IF he (and Monken) returns, the excitement surrounding this offense going into the 2021 season will be off the charts. Go Dawgs!

• GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

All the prophets should relax until after Jan. 1....then y'all can look into the future. Let's hope it is good!

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He would be an absolute fool to declare for the draft given the fact that he was injured, the #3 QB once healthy and a shortened season with no road to the playoffs nor even an SEC Championship game. Both Fields and Lawrence had more showoff times by the end of last season and both decided to come back for another year. And with those 2 top picks + Newman + Newman drama, it'd be best to put a year in between.

Staying will give him a great opportunity with the definite job (ESPECIALLY with a likely redshirted Vandagriff) and heck, if Newman was like 3rd-4th preseason Heisman odds, he should be #1 or #2 odds with Georgia really solidifying with a 2nd year under Monken and Daniels polishing up.

Keep in mind that he only had 1 full season + 1 game before getting injured and so he's really only a sophomore. He has tremendous upside and it certainly appears to be a solid 1st rounder with a quality season in 2021.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“...legit off season.” is exactly right. Fromm declaring and COVID put the Dawgs behind the eight ball at QB and we never recovered. Spring practice and summer workouts are most important to young QBs and as far as JT is concerned, equivalently, three games into his sophomore season, I put him in that category.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If I'm not mistaken @kirkhilles , both Fields and Lawrence had no choice but to return this season. They weren't draft eligible last year. This is the year of decision for the both of them, thought I doubt they really are having to make a true "decision." It's pretty obvious what they should do. I do believe Daniels will return to UGA next year, though. If not, we still have Bennett. lol