Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

2020 was not a successful year for Georgia football, but that doesn't make it a failure

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited December 2020 in Article commenting
image2020 was not a successful year for Georgia football, but that doesn't make it a failure

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more. 2020 forces us to re-examine what a successful season looks like for Georgia football Perhaps no one better

Read the full story here

Comments

• 87dawg87dawg Posts: 364 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2020

Monken's comments and I'm not allowed to post the word d u m b..........

I believe Trask should have opted out after all those that gave him a great year abandoned him. It was funny and I loved every minute of it but dang!

• David1David1 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Can we leave the bad words out of the reporting, please? If people want to say those type of words, that’s their unfortunate decision, but leave them out of your reporting and commentary.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Trask did what most people would want of their QB, to finish the drill. In hindsight it didn't go well for him, but for all practical purposes he was throwing to strangers. I think the league takes that into account.

He's still what he was, a big strong, good looking, seemingly intelligent kid with some great qualities and a very good and accurate arm.

Last night for him was like Fromm without Cager or Pickens magnified last season. Good luck with that.

Take away Devonte, Waddle, and Najee and suddenly BAMA isn't BAMA. Dudes make a difference, and we haven't had dudes on offense in a while. We just may have some now. Let's see how Friday works out.

• GoodLifeGoodLife Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

Averaging 10 wins per year for the last 20 years, there are very few years that I would characterize UGA as failures. However, living up to expectations is another thing. I'm harder on Kirby Smart than any other previous coach because of the embarrassment of riches in talent/depth that we have had over the past several years. The amount of 5 star players on our roster blows the mind!!!! And we should playing like it and DOMINATING teams accordingly - like Alabama, like Clemson, and most of the time, like Ohio State.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Monty chose UGA over LSU as I remember. Glad he did! DGD.

And yes we do toss that term around a little too freely.

• OleDawgNewTricksOleDawgNewTricks Posts: 5 ✭ Freshman

Please leave the bad words out of your articles. It only shows a poor vocabulary if those are the most descriptive words the writer or speaker can come up with.

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If you had told me that Georgia would miss spring practice, while installing a new offense as well as a new QB and the best QB on the team wouldn't be able to start until after the Florida game, I would have said 8-2 was very likely.

Then considering your two best defenders would be out against Florida. While Florida essentially gets two weeks to prepare for Georgia, and it's no wonder that they lost that game.

All things considered, it was not a failure. Georgia is a much better team now. The offense is approaching elite status, and will only be better next year.

Florida just lost 90% of their offensive production, and they'll either be still stuck in Third and Grantham, or will be starting out from scratch with a new defensive scheme and DC for next year.

2021 is looking to be a very good year for UGA football...

• BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

If Monken & Daniels stay for 2021, the Dawgs have a legit shot at the SEC & CFP titles next year. Even opening with Clemson, the schedule as currently set is the best Georgia has had in years for a title run. Clemson, Missouri & Arkansas may be the most difficult games on the schedule.

• SmokeOnTheWaterSmokeOnTheWater Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore

Connor, in a few words, you ****. Your obvious disdain for UGA and Georgia football is in every title or "article" the AJC allows you to publish. What gives? Disgruntled fan of a complete failure such as Carolina? Please take your schtick somewhere else. No one likes your writing and the AJC continuing to employ you and Mike just solidifies an already bad opinion of the AJC in general.

• TrippTripp Posts: 512 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This was not the yer to grade Monkens offense. Without a sprlng camp, establishing a well oiled offensive identity with the complexities that his scheme has where the whole play book can be used is basically impossible. Then you throw in the fact his early scheming was probably with Newman in mind and then the limitations of our QB,s that we played until JT got ready, I think Monken done about as well as possible.

Defense is a different story. We get beat on the back end to often when playing quality qbs. Is it the players or the scheme? We are recruiting high caliber guys and Kirby is a defensive master, so what gives? Were we not talented enough to play man and get the job done or is our scheme outdated for the new era explosive offenses?

• budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I agree. When Bennett became the qb, if anyone was thinking 50 points a game, those people should just stop watching the sport. I am very encouraged by what the offense looked like in the last 3 games, minus the rushing attack against Miss St.

I have a problem with the pass defense. I'm with you Tripp, what happened?

GO DAWGS!!!!!

• tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't consider UGA at 8-2 a failure. When your pre-season QB starter bails on you, when the next man up proves he isn't ready, then you have to turn to a 5' 9" QB, that had more passes batted down at the line of scrimmage, than he threw for TD's. Then JT is declared to be ready to play against Miss. State. I'm proud of these DAWGS. I pray JT gives us one more year with Monken running the offense. It's a lot better than the offense was before this year.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No, this season wasn't a failure, but it wasn't a success either. Far from it. Sure, we had issues, but all teams get dealt a bad hand sometimes. Let's learn from our mistakes and move forward. I am looking forward to the day where the Dawgs & Kirby stop with saying " we've got to get better" and actually GET better, make the playoffs, and win a Natty. The stars are aligned as good as we've EVER had it next season, so I am expecting much better results.

GO DAWGS!