Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Is it a good decision to get the Covid vaccine?

amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let’s try to keep this civil. Respect other poster’s opinions and don’t make it political. I would really like to hear how the majority feel on this.

I was 50/50 when first notified my company was about to start administering the Pfizer Covid vaccine – for obvious reasons. I did get my first of the 2 injections earlier this week. The thing that swayed me towards taking the vaccine was my son and his heart condition as well as, just my opinion here, every one of us will eventually either A: Get the Vaccine or B: Be infected by the virus. And given that I am over 50 years old, have diabetes (insulin dependent) and High Blood Pressure, I felt A: was the best choice for me.

The biggest thing that does scare me a little is that this is somewhat of a “breakthrough” in how the vaccine itself works. Most vaccines are a dead version of the virus that is injected into your system (the flu shot being an example), but from my understanding this is a vaccine that actually makes a change in you DNA to prevent the Coronavirus from manifesting within your body. Now, I’m no medical expert, but that’s basically how it was described to me. I was also told, by a very reliable source that this how people with plenty of money are HIV positive for many, many years and do not contract the AIDs virus (Magic Johnson was the example used). They have the money to stay on top of DNA changes needed to keep AIDs out of the conversation.

For anyone who knows and understands this more, please feel free to correct me as I may be explaining this incorrectly – I know computers – not a medical professional.

Comments

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree 100% and have signed up for text alerts so I can register (probably next week) as over 65s are priority 1b in Florida. I would point out that it is still unclear as to whether or not it prevents infection and transmission so I will continue to wear a mask to protect others.

• oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have no personal knowledge of any of the new COVID-10 vaccines. I try and follow the statics in Georgia. As of last night this is what is reported. These are based on current reports and of course get worse every day as more people die.

If you are under 30 you have a 1 in 56,571 chance of dying 78 total deaths.

If you are over 29 and under 40 you have a 1 in 8936 chance of dying 161total deaths.

If you are over 39 and under 50 you have a 1 in 3917 chance of dying 370 total deaths.

If you are over 49 and under 60 you have a 1 in 1578 chance of dying 898 total deaths.

If you are over 59 and under 70 you have a 1 in 731 chance of dying 1937 total deaths.

If you are over 69 you have a 1 in 220 chance of dying 6428 total deaths.(My age group)

Needless to say I am going to get the vaccine as soon as I can.

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Whew...

no DNA changing- this is not a bad sci-fi movie.

much safer, better concept than dead virus.

uses your body’s immune mechanisms to trigger a post infection response before you ever have an infection.

imagine an invading army is coming to attack your castle. Your castle gate would hold off any battering ram you have ever seen. But this invading army has a brand new one. Normally, you would lose a couple of battles before you figured out how to defend against that army and everything they do. But, this time, you snuck in and stole that new battering ram, studied it, and prepared before they show up.

this vaccine just prepares us for the ram, makes the attack obsolete...

• AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Waiting for the VA or personal physician to call. Will get vaccinated by whoever calls first.

• emanresuemanresu Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

FYI my 18 yr old had a very mild experience with it in July...

Her sense of smell is still 95% gone. Really sucks. It ain’t just about living and dying. There’s a lot of long term crap we don’t know about.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have not been sick. Nobody in my family has been sick. Only one person in my sizeable group of friends has been sick...actually sick. I don't know anyone who had to be hospitalized. I live near Pensacola Beach..we haven't exactly been on lockdown here. Bars and restaurants have been open the whole time. Right now I'm willing to wait it out a bit before considering the vaccine. I don't think it's a bad idea, I just don't think I need it. Someone else can have mine.

• Old_lady_dawg_fanOld_lady_dawg_fan Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Here's what worries me: we'll have too many people who will refuse the shot and the virus will circulate in the wild long enough to mutate into a far more dangerous disease that is not prevented by the vaccine. The viruses definitely change over time, but we have a chance to stop it now.

• chinadawgchinadawg Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior

I got a mild case back in October. Had a bad headache, high fever, and felt nauseous. Lost taste and smell that came back after 10 days. Thought I was better. Then started getting tingling and pain in feet and hands. Then it moved to legs and upper arms. Also had headaches daily. PCP sent me to a neurologist and cardiologist. On prescription medicine for the first time in my life. Getting a whole battery of tests to see what’s going on. Ran half marathons before Covid hit. In my early 40’s. Definitely getting the vaccine when it is available for me.

• ChicagoDawgChicagoDawg Posts: 438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am getting it as soon as I am allowed. Have a long time family friend in the ICU right now fighting for his life from COVID. He is the same age as me. Praying for his survival.

• 101ina45101ina45 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Got my first dose and feel fine, I wouldn't worry

• emanresuemanresu Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Because I don't necessarily trust our Government.

• amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The DV on the original post, I'm fine with. As I said, I'm not a medical expert and welcome someone's post to better explain the vaccine. BUT, the 2 Off Topics??? Really, when I put this in the "General" category. Man we have some kids of the board.

• amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bump... I'd really like to hear for the more medically educated members on this. It's really a bid deal, imo.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is not going to eradicate Covid. It is here forever no matter what we do. I think people wrongly believe this is a permanent solution like a Polio or Measles vaccine. There is no medicine that eliminates the flu...and that is what Covid is, a variant of the flu.

• philipsmith99philipsmith99 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For what it's worth, I am 3 weeks past 2nd vaccine. No symptoms after 1st and mild body aches for 1 day after 2nd.