Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football winners and losers following Peach Bowl victory

SystemSystem Posts: 10,467 admin
edited January 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football winners and losers following Peach Bowl victory

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more. Georgia football winners and losers from around DawgNation Winner: Georgia's senior class In the lead-up to

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I I realize that I am behind the times here, but I wasn't able to watch the Peach Bowl live and there's an aspect of the game I'm curious about. How did Cincinnati end up on their own 2 for the final play? It just seems odd, considering the fair catch-touchback rule on kickoffs.

• Options
    flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The return person didn't call a fair catch and let it roll to the 2 instead of going into the endzone.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree. I believe Kirby's decision was correct. We weren't getting first downs. We were killing 'em on defense.

Could someone explain to me how there was a forward fumble called when it looked like an incomplete pass?

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Smart did end up getting the results needed to win the game. But had Georgia lost, Smart would’ve been heavily criticized for the decision."

For the life of me, I just don't understand this position. So if the defense failed to do what he reasonably expected it to do, he would have been criticized. But if the offense failed, and Cincinnati was thus able to put the game away, he wouldn't have been? How does that work?

• Options
    SCDawgFanSCDawgFan Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

Something that I did not understand was at the end of the first half, Cincinnati had a personal foul called. After assessing the penalty on the next snap it was 2nd and 2. How can it be 2 yards to go after assessing a personal foul penalty? They ended up scoring a TD on the ensuing play. Did I miss something?

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I understand the (unranked) Auburn loss because of their coaching chaos, but I’m still amazed by the lizards getting embarrassed and decimated by the Sooners. Dang, it breaks my heart that their 8-1 season turned to 8-4 in just 3 weeks.

Great finish by the proud SEC schools with Bama and Texas A&M handling business as expected against ranked teams. The other teams (UGa, Kentucky, Ole Miss and Miss State) all defeated teams ranked higher. In fact, every SEC opponent was nationally ranked while 4 of our SEC teams weren’t even in the top 25. Go Dawgs and Go SEC!!!

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If the Falcons take Fields, they deserve exactly what they get! Fields is exactly the type of QB with millions of dollars of talent and a ten cent head that Booger McFarland was talking about in reference to Dwayne Haskins being released by Washington.

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm sorry but can someone explain how justin fields is a Georgia football winner or loser? He is not a Georgia Bulldog and made a point to demonstrate his contempt for UGA by lying about them.

You wanna talk about him, do it in the context of a game we played against him but please stop referencing him as having any relevance to the University of Georgia.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'd understand if we were closer to our end zone, but at our 45, I think odds would've been higher on trying to get those 3 yards and pretty much immediately be in FG range.

I'm sure a run up the middle wouldn't work, but a short-mid pass play with Daniels? I'd put money on that vs what we had to go through to win. Worst case, they are still pretty far out and if the D can hold then you still have a shot.

BUT, anyway, we won so I'll take it...

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

I’m a dog fan to the marrow of my bones, but let’s be honest, we came within the skin of our teeth from having to hear for nine months what a bonehead decision it was by Smart to punt on 4th-and-3 from his 43 yard line with three minutes left.

I have faith in Smart, but that was an IDIOTIC decision that most 10 year-olds playing Madden would not have made.

I’m glad it worked out for us. Glad we won. Go dogs.

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

And I don’t resent Fields for transferring. I resent him (and his attorney) for throwing UGA under the social issues bus for his own personal gain, namely immediate eligibility.

I only lament that Ohio and Alabama can’t both lose.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm sorry @Classof98 but neither you, me nor anyone else on this string KNOWS FOR SURE what Justin Fields said or didn't say to the NCAA to be granted immediate eligibility. Everyone ASSUMES that they know but they just don't. Justin Fields was going to transfer from UGA regardless of what someone said or didn't say about him during a game. And because it's Ohio State, it's very likely that he would have been granted immediate eligibility, regardless of reason. The fact that Fields' sister remains an athlete at the University of Georgia is a sign that that their family is not soured on the UGA campus or experience. The fact is, we don't know what was said. And we should stop throwing darts at Fields or his attorney based on evidence that we DON'T have. What we do know is that he played well against Clemson. Very well. Wish he was still a Dawg, but he is not. So we both move on. Let it go at that.

• Options
    WayxATLdawg89WayxATLdawg89 Posts: 87 ✭✭ Sophomore

DallasDawg, Thank you for stating the truth. I too was upset that he transferred but for a different reason; It will be hard for us to get another 5* Duel Threat QB moving forward because Chaney and Smart didn't want to have a real QB competition though they publicly stated they did it in practice everyday. This whole Fields issue could have gone away had they played him in the LSU game when clearly Fromm was not playing well, actually horrible. If Fields comes in and falls flat, he is still a Dawg to date because everyone would have seen he wasn't ready including him. However, had he played well then Smart and Chaney would truly have a dilemma on their hands and that's not what they wanted. They used Fields in the SEC Championship Game on that fourth down play and everyone knew he was going to leave at that point... It was a terrible play call and it embarrassed the kid...

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

In the various "vote downs" that folks do to make themselves feel better about themselves (as if anyone cares if you vote a comment down), none of you answered how fields is included in a discussion about how he was a Georgia winner or loser in the Peach Bowl or for that matter, any part of UGA's entire year.

He WAS granted eligibility based on his claims of racism at the University of Georgia and therefore I could not care less about him or his football endeavors.

Please, feel free to vote my comment down. I'm so sad.......