Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

5 takeaways from historic Georgia comeback, glance into Kirby Smart's future

2»

Comments

• Classof98Classof98 Posts: 243 ✭✭✭ Junior

Great stuff.

I wonder what the odds are that the stadium will be allowed to be maximum capacity by September 4th?

• GoodLifeGoodLife Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

These comparisons between Richt & Kirby are ridiculous. It's not apples to apples. Take away every dollar spent on the program since Kirby arrived and I guarantee Kirby's results would not be any different than his predecessor - it would probably be worse. UGA has spent millions upon millions on the program to lure the elite athlete, a luxury Richt did not have. The ONLY reason UGA has reached another level is because we have championship talent and depth now - and it isn't even close to where we were 6 years ago. Kirby himself stated that "the level of expectation from the fans did not match the level of players here..." His own words when describing UGA football prior to his arrival. UGA finally woke up and realized that, like the major contenders, you need to SPEND huge to win championships. It's also the primary reason that only a handful of programs can win a natty now.

• ypcregypcreg Posts: 290 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I won't say it's NC or bust next year, but with the senior QBs moving on at both FL and AL and Bama defense is not where it was, it's one of the best opportunities for us in a while, especially if JT comes back. With the performs sliding a little bit last couple of years, we are clearly losing momentum created after KS's 2nd year. 2021 will be a critical year for us. It could define where this program goes for the next five years.

• Bigjohnson92Bigjohnson92 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Most of Richts classes had a way of falling apart after signing day. Grades, arrests, conduct, other quirky things. Kirby has a much better record of getting signees on campus and keeping them there.

• DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 419 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Well, you miss an important point: With all of the so-called superior traits that Smart has, he still hasn't improved the program. You can argue all you want, but the record speaks for itself.

• DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 419 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I never said that Richt was better. I said that Smart has not made improvements that have resulted in elevating the program.

• GoodLifeGoodLife Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

Let's switch things and provide Richt with the largest support staff in all of college football (what UGA has now) and saddle Kirby with the resources Richt had. I'll bet there would not be much difference in the criteria you listed. Remember Kirby's 1st & 2nd years... there wasn't any noticeable improvements with regards to arrests, conduct, etc. The program also relaxed the drug policies to match that of other programs around the league. Again, comparing the two coaches is meaningless because it is not apples to apples.