Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia football strengths, and weaknesses, taking shape quickly for 2021 team

SystemSystem Posts: 11,088 admin
edited January 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football strengths, and weaknesses, taking shape quickly for 2021 team

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more. Georgia football strengths and weaknesses taking shape early for 2021 team When Dan Lanning and Todd Monken

Read the full story here

Comments

• DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 419 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Connor, you said that Kearis Jackson is coming back. Has he officially stated that he was returning, because I haven't heard that?

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The stout and solid offensive line is paramount to us making the playoffs. The secondary is just that - secondary. We've got enough skill in the secondary to do ok, and those players should improve as the season progresses. But, if we can't control the line of scrimmage, protect the passer, and produce an effective run game then we won't win the BIG games. Our offense will have to produce a lot of points.

Things are never going to be perfect in the world of having the right mix of players in one season, so we've got to just figure it out and develop and coach those players to make them better. Saban is a master in that regard. Kirby is pretty good too. We'll need to produce results as soon as September 4th against the Tigers. No excuses. Finish the drill. Bring a Championship home to Athens. It's beyond time.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Anybody think BAMA won't be right there again next year even though they will likely lose 6, count them 6 players(let me rephrase that) not just players but stars to the NFL Draft in the 1st round!!

Let's do what the Big Boys do and reload and coach'em up. Enough with the excuses. Nobody who pulls for BAMA is biting their nails right now even though they will likely have 8 players go in the 1st 2 rounds of the draft and are starting over with a new OC. Poor ole ALABAMA. LOL!

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Our path to a NC is to be able to score at will and to play solid(not great necessarily) defense. BAMA averaged 50 points per game. They scored often and scored fast. But they could run the dang ball too. They didn't have Najee getting hit in the backfield repeatedly as our backs were. They didn't have an 8 yard rushing game as we did against Miss. St. or even a putrid performance like we did against Cincy. Those 2 games we didn't combine for 75 yards. Hey but we won!!

Against the same foes BAMA and UGA played against this season including each other, BAMA scored 150 (aprox.) more points than we did. Let that sink in. What separates the two teams?

• rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

RE "if Georgia’s re-made secondary can do any better?". I love my Dawgs and hate to criticize but it's hard to imagine them doing much worse. Against the two teams mentioned, we looked shell-shocked.

• TrippTripp Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

On the bright side, our secondary was probably the weakest link this year aside from pre-JT. Alabama and Jones pick us a part. Plus we didn’t have the ability to s ore enough against them. The secondary was confused and beat badly and that was with Lacounte back there. Once we lost Richard, no one stepped up as a leader and it showed. Hopefully one of the guys back there will lead by example.

• vannvann Posts: 108 ✭✭✭ Junior

I just excited about the fact we are looking at our passing game as a strength. We haven't had that in a while and the teams that beat us had elite QB and receiver play which we just couldn't match up with. With the talent we have coming back and the talent in our new signing class, 2021 is looking pretty good.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

MontanaDawg is right...the OL is key to UGA's success..protect JT on the line of scrimmage and open up the holes for the run game...easy to say hard to do...Miss. State and Cincy. UGA will win most games but not the major contests such as Florida, Bama and Clemson, unless the OL performs. These are the games that define UGA's season and post season...Clemson this year...first up. I do not believe Florida will be in the hunt this year as much. Bama will be right there as usual post season.

• DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 419 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

LaCounte didn't play against Florida. He got hurt after the Kentucky game.

• TrippTripp Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Exactly! That is why I did not reference the Florida game. Richard is a big loss and Campbell and Stokes had their moments but I think our 21 secondary may perform better than this year.