Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football podcast: UGA fans should be skeptical of offseason hype

SystemSystem Posts: 10,541 admin
edited January 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football podcast: UGA fans should be skeptical of offseason hype

Georgia football is the No. 1 topic every day on DawgNation Daily — the daily podcast for Georgia Bulldogs fans. Catch up on everything happening with UGA athletics with host Brandon Adams and the DawgNation experts as they break down the latest Georgia football recruiting news and discuss coach Kirby Smart’s quest

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2021

Brandon, while I do agree that the Dawgs under Kirby have never beaten Bama there is no reason why we cannot. And I don't believe our pre-season early rankings by multiple sources is incorrect. We should be a definite playoff contender and Top 4 team next season. The talent is obviously there. Kirby and his staff must do the rest, and players have got to execute. You've got to start having a more optimistic attitude and believe we can, because at some point we will beat Bama. If Ole Miss and Auburn can do it multiple times in the last decade then there's no reason the Dawgs can't. In fact, prior to this 2020 season, Bama hadn't gone undefeated since 2009. They just know how to win the games they need to win. The Dawgs need to learn how to do the same. Let's work on getting the curse off our backs.

We're stacked with talent up and down the field with numerous players coming back to finish "unfinished business". We should waltz into the SEC Championship game next season. And If we don't win the SEC East then we really did screw up, because we will clearly be the best team in the East. Stop being a doubter. I know you sports writers are paid to create controversy & debate, but everyone needs to start believing or get off the bus.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm always skeptical of pre-season hype. The almost total rebuild of the secondary is scary stuff. Especially with Clemson as the first game. The O-line is also a question, and will need to make improvement.

The JT Daniels as a Heisman candidate is silly, and it's the same with every other mostly unproven candidate.

But every team has questions still to be answered.

Georgia has a lot of positions that do look strong, and every team has questions still to be answered.

• Options
    VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 363 ✭✭✭ Junior

as Ric Flair always said "To be the man, you have to BEAT the man". Until we finally beat Bama, we won't win anything.

• Options
    DawgSonOfGamecockDawgSonOfGamecock Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm tired of this cycle of optimistic off-seasons followed by reality check seasons. *If* we had gotten back to the CFP once since 2017 and made a respectable showing, I'd say you know what, we've been in the mix and made some playoff appearanceS, maybe it's a matter of time before we put it together and beat Alabama and move on to greater things. But we haven't been back. We've blown three leads against Alabama, and I can't help but be pessimistic that there will be another juggernaut, generational team on our schedule that we won't be able to get past. H e c k, it could be Clemson with Ukulele or whatever his name is. He's probably going to play lights out next year, in a year we have to rebuild our secondary. I got roped into the off-season of optimism last year. While I appreciate what the Dawgs had to go through to put together a decent season during covid, it was still, in the grand scheme of things, a disappointment in light of what the usual CFP suspects were able to do... again. And until we beat the man, I will remain pessimistic.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Totally understand where you are coming from and so do the majority of Dawg fans that have lived through umpteen seasons of frustration, disappointment, and regret. We've got to do better, but until we truly believe we can and will be better then we're probably our own worse enemy. The winning belief and attitude permeates at Bama. We've got too many naysayers and non-believers (including myself for a long time). We don't have that winning attitude here, so that needs to change. And in my opinion it starts with the coaches, players, organization, and ultimately the fans.

We've got to hold Kirby and his staff to high expectations based on his own set of goals and our elite recruiting. I'm always a tough critic when the Dawgs disappoint, and I will continue to be. The Dawgs should be playing consistently better. It's tough to make the playoffs in the SEC with only (4) teams in the playoff. Once the playoff expands (and it will definitely), then I expect us to be in that conversation much more often than not. But for now, we need to concentrate on winning the East, the SEC Championship, and getting to the playoffs. It sounds corny, but we've all got to believe we can get there. Strive for perfection just like Saban does.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2021

How is it hype when our entire roster is made up of top three classes from the past four or five years? We will have little to no turnover with the coaching staff, returning motivated seniors and most importantly-our starting QB returning. What more do you need to see to qualify the hype?!

I graduated from UGA in 1995, before CKS. Few Dawg fans have followed the program more closely than me. I am hyped! This team is stacked with motivated talent and starters and a seasoned coaching staff. The secondary will be retooled...so what! Worst case scenario-we lose to Clemson, we run the table on the weak East while the young and VERY TALENTED (five and four star laden) PUPS gain experience. We WILL be in the SECCG and will be in the playoffs if we win.

I say get hyped based upon the present facts and enjoy the positivity over the next elven months! Or, live in the disappointment of the past with your "glass half empty" mentality. Your choice. Go Dawgs!