Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Happy birthday, Elvis

dragonslayerdragonslayer Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Happ Birthday to the King of Rock and Roll.

TCB!

Comments

• TurkDawgTurkDawg Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I remember Elvis died just before I started high school in 1977; then just two months later the Lynyrd Skynyrd plane crash happened. That was my era’s “day the music died.”

• dragonslayerdragonslayer Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

August 16, 1977. I remember hearing it on the radio on the 17th as I was driving to my summer job in the retire dept. at Kohler making toilets and sinks.

• njdawg81njdawg81 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Lol - it was the summer between high school and me leaving for UGA - I was at my girlfriend's house and, in another room, her mother dropped a dish she was drying and fell to her knees crying like a baby. A memory that is engraved in my mind. I saw that girl a few years ago and she asked me if I remembered her mother doing that!

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hypothetical question...

If I felt like an entertainer was vastly overrated throughout their entire career, and had as much negative impact on the entertainment industry as positive, would it be inappropriate to share that opinion on a thread created to wish them a happy birthday?

Asking for a friend...

...and waiting for the hellfire of responses to be rained down upon even the slightest hint of this opinion, all of which are backed by mommas (and their classic vinyl collection) everywhere...

• dawfanfromalabamdawfanfromalabam Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What was Elvis’ last big hit?

The bathroom floor. Drugs are bad.

• DawgByteDawgByte Posts: 416 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

My recently deceased Mother-in-law knew him well and dated one of Elvis' best friend. Happy Birthday King.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • dragonslayerdragonslayer Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not why I started this thread, but he had significant flaws, not just the drug use, but surrounded himself with sycophants, was inexplicably loyal to "Col." Parker - his con man agent who stifled his career and encouraged the drug use and adolescent behavior that wrecked his marriage, and lived an extravagant lifestyle that depleted his net worth. He brought "race music" to the mainstream, and with a few others, invented rock and roll. His voice, imitated by thousands of impersonators, but never replicated, was one of the top five male singing voices in recorded history. He choreographed "Jailhouse Rock," showing his talent extended beyond singing. Had Parker not interfered, he would have had accolades for acting.

He wasn't overrated by any stretch of imagination. He had millions of fans because of his talent. Sadly, it was stifled, wasted, and cut tragically short.

But, I'm just a rockabilly.