Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

What criteria define a DGD ?

donmedeirosdonmedeiros Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kasey and Jim Wallace recently opined that the term DGD might be thrown around a bit loosely. I had never really thought about it but I am now. My question is : What are the criteria you use when you deem someone a DGD.

For me the first criteria would be loyalty to the program - even above ability and performance.

I'd appreciate any thoughts and comments.

Comments

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,566 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Respects their parents, eats their vegies, treats women properly, says yes sir/no sir, doesn't cuss, drives with the proper air pressure in tires, doesn't tear the tag off mattresses, doesn't storm the capital.....

And the most important.....votes republican.

OK OK OK.. I'm sorry... .too soon?

• Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I second the loyalty aspect; number one character trait in my book.

• DawgGirl96DawgGirl96 Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree, thrown around way too much. Great points from Kasey & Jim. It's not about having to be a superstar on the field (although of course doesn't hurt), it's about loyalty, great team player & leader, doing things the right way on & off the field. In recent years we've had a lot of them including LeCounte & McBride this year. Sony and Nick being two of the very biggest in my opinion...their leadership helped catapult us into this new era of Georgia football.

• SWDawg68SWDawg68 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It has been used too often and in doing so, has taken on and become an irrelevant term that is used by many to describe almost every Dawg player.

I thought of it as a term that represented the best of any Dawg player, Coach or administraor who were just better, greater and fully embody what a True Georgia Bulldog represents!

I don't use it and haven't used it, not qualified to say it, but at times will agree when others use it for the "right ones"

I also don't believe I am qualified to even give examples, but I know it when I see it!

Thanks for posting this, it will make other think about it and maybe over time will become relevant again! Instead of thousands, it will be a couple of hundreds!

Go Dawgs!

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I too agree with @JimWallace that loyalty is important.

• moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lasting popularity

• DamnYankeeDawgDamnYankeeDawg Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with @Canedawg2140. DGD is not tangible nor clearly defined. You just know it when you see it.

It’s very similar to defining what a great leader is. Hard to define. As the great general George Patton once said about leadership...”Leadership is the thing that wins battles. I have it, but I'll be damned if I can define it.”

I feel the same way about DGD.

• dragonslayerdragonslayer Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What he said...

I'd add: doesn't have to be an athlete, there are plenty on this forum.

• MWorkman17MWorkman17 Posts: 229 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

A player that represented the program and university well, whether through great play or great character.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2021

Wanted to be Dawg

Loves being a Dawg

Represents the team and school in the upmost manner

Dawg for life

Not just one but all of these to make the cut

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Doesn't hand out McDonalds bags...

• dawg1119dawg1119 Posts: 52 ✭✭✭ Junior

I feel like if you finish the drill as a dawg then you are a DGD. I'm sure we could find a case or two where this isn't the case, but as long as you don't transfer then you're most likely a DGD.

• Old_lady_dawg_fanOld_lady_dawg_fan Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have a sense of someone who plays his position well, but sparks the entire team to play better, maybe even better than its constituent parts.