Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Way off topic, but just want to make sure I'm not crazy...

pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,645 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So I was on Facebook and an add popped up for something I was mildly interested in (won't name the company but it was just a basket that goes on the back of a jetski). I clicked on the link and there was a video showing the product in action. The music was a rap song, no big deal, but about 10 seconds into the song it was all N-word this and N-word that. I turned it off after about 20 seconds. I was shocked that any company would use a song like that to advertise their product. I contacted the company to let them know...maybe it was a mistake or something. I kind of expected them to say "OMG, we are sorry, that was a video a customer made that wasn't supposed to be on our page"...or something along those lines. What I got back was "We don't know why a song would influence you decision to purchase our product". Then another person chimed in saying "I'm sure they don't need disgruntled customers like you".

Just had to vent a little. I can't believe any company would use a song like that in their official advertising....and then defend using it. Am I that old fashioned to be offended by this?

Comments

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

OMG, I was listening to some Christmas music on youtube last month. I set it on play, hoped in the shower... and next thing I know N-word this, N-word that... I was like **** Christmas song is this!? I had to hop out to see what was going on and it was some commercial youtube had inserted. I was both shocked, and not shocked at the same time. 🤦‍♂️

• Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2021

That’s just how it is. They aren’t selling things to your demographic....they aren’t losing money. In fact they are patting themselves on the back for telling you to take a hike. That’s what their target audience would want.

If they had tons of reviews like yours and it was hitting them in the wallet they would sing a different tune. There isn’t and they aren’t.

Weve had plenty of people here argue that the word isn’t bad depending on if the sound of it comes from a certain body. Let that sink in.

• emanresuemanresu Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep, I heard a former pro Basketball player use the N word on a NBA podcast and I lost a ton of respect for him on the spot. Sooooo Offensive and embarrassing. He thought that was Sooooo cool. What an idiot. Black guy too.

By the way, said Basketball player had a pretty good career but his name escapes me but not worth remembering anyway.

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The decline of Western Civilization.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,645 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Today some dude on their FB page called me a little b.itch for complaining about the song.

• donmedeirosdonmedeiros Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Proving most folks' point about this day and age. All kinds of divides in the modern world.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Everyone loves to flex their keyboard muscles from time to time.

Yeah 💪💪💪 😂😂😂😂

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think you are completely right about this.

...but you still may be crazy. The jury is still in deliberations there.

...but you are correct on this account - with little if any debate to the contrary.

...but the crazy thing? Possibly...

I know I’m crazy, but I’ve learned to roll with it...

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If we're honest, all of us are at least a little crazy.