Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

For all their strengths, Georgia and Clemson have the same key weakness

SystemSystem Posts: 10,466 admin
edited January 2021 in Article commenting
imageFor all their strengths, Georgia and Clemson have the same key weakness

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more. Georgia football, Clemson both have same key offensive line questions There will be plenty of hype and talk

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was just looking at Mims and noticed that he was the SECOND best player in the state of Georgia and so I looked at the list. Wow. Remember how we complained about Richt not keeping in state players? 5 out of the Top 6 players in the state are with UGA. Wow! I can't believe I haven't read that all over the place. Oh no, Mims isn't the best in the state of Georgia... Mondon is at OLB for us. Sweet.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hard to imagine a world in which Travis Entienne only gets 45 yards rushing. Just goes to show you no matter who you have at RB if you can't block for him they can't just fly over the defense. UGA has very good backs probably no one on Entiennes level but solid backs.

Also goes to show you that the O-line as a unit needs to operate better than the individual pieces to be successful. Last couple of years we have had 1st and 2nd round draft picks from the O-line but the unit as a whole was not dominate.

Number one thing for UGA to improve is the O-line, we've changed coaches and we have not seen improvement. Not sure what's left to do to improve? Better strength and conditioning? , get better players , or change the blocking scheme to suit the player's talents and abilities? are we trying to stuff a square peg into a round hole or what? Better designed run plays? Everything needs to be on the table IMO.

Supposedly you can run to open up the passing game. Worked a couple of times this year, but wasn't consistent, or you can pass to open up the run game; even in games where we threw for 300-400 yards we still couldn't open up any running lanes. A real head scratcher.

• Options
    DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 411 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2021

Not sure which recruiting site you are looking at, but according to 24/7 Sports, Mims is #1 in the state, Vandagriff is #2 and Mondon is #3. Also, we have signed 6 of the top 10 players in the state, but not 5 out of the top 6. We have signed 3 of the top 6.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't think this game will come down to the quality of players on the roster, since that's truly even. I believe it'll come down to coaching... who better develops and prepares the players for this occasion, the game plan created for it, and how they adjust gameday. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2021

"The Bulldogs had a number of other offensive issues in 2020, though starting Daniels solved some of them."

I disagree with this assessment. QB and, at times, OL - those were the problems on offense. There were not "a number" of other issues outside of the OL. There was one, and it was pretty well addressed by the emergence of Daniels. I mean, I guess you could point to red zone offense, but I would argue that's more a manifestation of the two issues already mentioned.

"Daniels also got sacked six times in those two games. He’s not the most mobile of quarterbacks and he does have an injury history."

This seems, to me, to be a growing myth about Daniels. Just because someone's not a dual threat, that doesn't mean he's immobile. Daniels has shown an ability to move around pretty well in the pocket when he's under pressure, even with the knee in recovery, and I expect that ability to improve as he continues to heal and get more comfortable back there. The main issue he needs to work on is getting rid of the ball so that his scrambling isn't still ultimately wasted on a sack. That's not to say there's no room for improvement in his pocket mobility - there always is. I just disagree with it being a point of emphasis (which it increasingly seems to be), as though he's noticeably lacking in the ability.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As with most big important games like this one coming up, the battle for the line of scrimmage may ultimately decide the winner. I think our OL is stronger than your assessment Connor, and our defense will be formidable. Our ability to run the ball somewhat effectively will be important in keeping Clemson honest. If Daniels (or whomever starts) can be effective moving the ball down the field and scoring TDs, then even if Clemson is able to move the ball and score we will be able to answer.

I'd love to beat Clemson, and on paper we match up very well. I predict a close game. But, if we lose then we can still make the playoffs and that's the goal.

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think we will win this game if we... Run the ball better, make big time special teams plays, and protect the football. I think we have a huge advantage in special teams and in winning the run game. All our big time special teams players are back. Kenny McIntosh should be healthy and he’s scary on Kickoff Return. Also, we both ranked pretty close in rushing offense last year; BUT Georgia was #1 at stopping the run while Clemson was only #15. I think the fact that we have several veteran backs coming back bodes well for us as they can help in protection against their pass rush or options like McIntosh/Cook can be check downs for JT. We need to be extra careful to protect the football though... it could come down to that alone in the end.