Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Can we stop speculating on certain things and let it play out?

texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,574 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I understand how these forums work. Obviously we are discussing all things Dawgs and providing our opinions, speculations and occasionally really accurate knowledge.

I don't really like the transfer/decommit comments because most of the time the person making the comment doesn't really know what they are talking about or how the process works. However, I get it and understand that this forum is the place to voice your opinions.

But I believe that many of the recent comments regarding the legal issues of LB, JS and NP have been in really poor taste and miss the big picture. Especially the ones who almost seemed happy that this happened to a 3* who possibly opens up a spot on our 85 man roster.

I've been coaching high school football for 30 years and high school softball for 8. I've dealt with thousands of kids. And although I've had to handle some incredibly **** things that these teenagers sometimes do, I very, very rarely run into a truly bad kid.

Don't get me wrong. I'm an old school hard *** coach. I have zero issues with discipline and punishment. We call them character drills. But I'm very hesitant to do something that will affect a young person for the rest of their life. Sometimes it has to be done but it affects me and is difficult to get over.

Many of the players on UGA's roster come from difficult family situations. It doesn't excuse the behavior or make it any less **** - but it is a reality. Simply dismissing a kid and sending him back to where he came from - is not always the best answer - for the player or society. Yes, some of them will find their way somewhere else - but not always.

I see how CKS is with his kids. He is a loving and caring man. He loves his players and I can assure you he is going to make sure he has every fact before he makes his decision. I strongly suggest that we do the same on this forum before we simply dismiss a kid.

Obviously there are times when a change has to be made. But not until all the facts and everything has been considered.

It is my prayer that all three of these young men have a positive outcome to their legal situations and hopefully remain dawgs. Because being trained and mentored by the the coaches and programs that UGA has in place may be the best thing for them. Regardless if they are a walk on or 5*.

And if it is in the best interest of the player or the team for that player to move onto somewhere else - I pray that the young man will eventually find his way.

Maybe I'm just an old man but I appreciate how precious life can be and how few opportunities some people will ever get.

Go Dawgs

Comments

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree. Great post. There's more to life than football at the end of the day.

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,574 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I literally posted this seconds before the news release concerning NP.

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2017

@texdawg said,

Many of the players on UGA's roster come from difficult family situations. It doesn't excuse the behavior or make it any less **** - but it is a reality. Simply dismissing a kid and sending him back to where he came from - is not always the best answer - for the player or society. Yes, some of them will find their way somewhere else - but not always.

I look at these forums as coffee houses for discussion of many topics related to football. Speculation is one thing--down right mean spiritedness is another. I'm with you on this. I hate to think we just jump to dismissal for an arrest without some required program of serious rehab or counseling beforehand. We take on a responsibility for the lives of the young men from which the fans, coaches and school benefit. They are to be like one of our own family.

Maybe I'm just an old man too. Shoot, I know I am.

• britishdawgbritishdawg Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

While I understand people wanting to talk about news when it happens, I couldn't agree more. As fans, we shouldn't ever hope to see guys get kicked out because they made a mistake, especially when we're speculating because the facts aren't available.

We still have a lot to learn about the LB situation, but until we know more, we should at least give the kid a break. He's still a teenager and he's probably pretty terrified right now. At the end of the day, people are more important than scholarships.

• UGA_PaintLineUGA_PaintLine Posts: 25 ✭✭ Sophomore

Great post and quality perspective op

• CoachRob16CoachRob16 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior

At the end of the day it isn't about football and its about molding these guys into better young men. Will say though at some point when a repeated behavior is demonstrated, then you certainly want to give the individual opportunities to correct that behavior, but when it continues then sometimes you just have to move on. In the real world you loose your job immediately for being arrested for drugs.

I agree @CoachRob16 with what you are saying. I mentioned in my post that eventually you may have to move on. But college isn't the real world yet. These young people are preparing to enter the real world.

But what you are saying is certainly not incorrect.

• CoachRob16CoachRob16 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior

There is no doubt that they have more resources available to them than any other profession and that is huge to get them the help they need. I just know though when you have all those resources available and still make the selfish choices you do, then you may have to part ways eventually.

• nycdawgnycdawg Posts: 883 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2017

Excellent Post!!!!

You sir, I can tell are a mature adult that understands life.

All of you holier than thou folks can go and kick rocks and you know who you are... . Always among the first to respond without facts

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was just going to read this thread, do some much deserved up votes, and the move on.....and then I read @nycdawg's post.

@nycdawg said:
    Excellent Post!!!!

All of you holier than thou folks can go and kick rocks and you know who you are... . Always among the first to respond without facts

Just because someone has a stronger belief about something, doesn't make them holier than thou. I believe in 2nd chances as much as anyone. However as it has been pointed out, a goal of any athletic program should be to groom these young men and women into mature adults. Part of being a mature adult is making the right choices and living with the consequences of those choices. Another thread mentioned that these were mistakes. A mistake is something that happens accidently. Do we really think that any of these incidents were an accident?

However, I do agree that some on here are quick to act without all the information. That said, that doesn't make them holier than thou, just the first to jump off the cliff.

• dawgy10dawgy10 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You can't play the pity party here with Patrick, there are consequences to actions, the head coach has to over see the well being of a program, it's Patrick's 3rd time for pot! Not all kids are saints, next man up.

@dawgy10 where did you read the pity party line in what I wrote?

@dawgy10 - After reading your comment again I can't help but wonder if it was really well thought out.

I have personally been involved over the past many years with removing 8 players from our program. I hate the memory of every one of them. But three particularly haunt me to this day. Yes, some were unavoidable, but I'm convinced that a few could have been avoided and would have probably benefited the kid to this day if we had just looked into other ways of handling it.

Unfortunately, I've also had three former players lose their schlorships. One was unavoidable, he killed three people during a dwi. To this day he is one of the most special kids I have ever coached. But he made a big mistake that can't be erased. He just finished 9 years in prison.

Two other former players were removed from programs for doing something **** and very wrong. But two different school presidents thought it best to set an example of them.

What they did was **** and certainly deserved punishment - but removing their schlorships and kicking them out of college was a bit harsh in my opinion - along with hundreds of other people who got involved in the situations.

So yes, as a coach I realize I come from this from a different perspective. I am the only father figure to probably 50 -75 of my former players. So yes, this is a bit personal to me.

So the throw them out the door and next man up perspective doesn't resonate with me very well.

I realize that it is sometimes unavoidable - but thankfully - it seems that CKS wants to know all the facts before giving a kid a life altering decision.

It's his 3rd offense! Kick him off and let's move on! They were caught driving under the influence! Not much to discuss about Patrick.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dawgy10 said:
    It's his 3rd offense! Kick him off and let's move on! They were caught driving under the influence! Not much to discuss about Patrick.

Patrick wasn’t caught under the influence.

He was in the passenger seat with weed in the seat and paraphonalia in the floor board

Great insight @dawgy10 but fortunately it turns out that you are incorrect

Incorrect about wat

• VirginiaDawgVirginiaDawg Posts: 355 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BamaDawg said:
    I was just going to read this thread, do some much deserved up votes, and the move on.....and then I read @nycdawg's post.

@nycdawg said:
    Excellent Post!!!!

Just because someone has a stronger belief about something, doesn't make them holier than thou. I believe in 2nd chances as much as anyone. However as it has been pointed out, a goal of any athletic program should be to groom these young men and women into mature adults. Part of being a mature adult is making the right choices and living with the consequences of those choices. Another thread mentioned that these were mistakes. A mistake is something that happens accidently. Do we really think that any of these incidents were an accident?

However, I do agree that some on here are quick to act without all the information. That said, that doesn't make them holier than thou, just the first to jump off the cliff.

A mistake can be an accident, but they are not necessarily one and the same. I made a purposeful decision to marry my first wife. That was a mistake. I knowingly did not study enough the first time I was in college, and was asked to leave. That too was a mistake. As I sit here now, I am married to my best friend and have an MBA and several other degrees. Let's not mistake youthful indiscretion for a criminal mindset. All of us that walk this earth make mistakes. Most of us deserve a second, and sometimes third chance.

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dawgy10 said:

Both were driving?