Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

3 things: Why Gunner Stockton Georgia football commitment produces program confidence, not controver

SystemSystem Posts: 7,421 admin
edited January 2021 in Article commenting
image3 things: Why Gunner Stockton Georgia football commitment produces program confidence, not controversy

Georgia football looks to have one of the top quarterback rooms in college football with Gunner Stockton committed to play for the Bulldogs in 2022

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There is no downside to signing back to back 5-star Quarterbacks. A 5-star QB is like a program multiplier for your recruiting class. Stockton, like Vandagriff before him will bring blue-chip skill players and lineman with him.

If either one decides to transfer two years from now, he won't take those other players with him. The program benefits either way.

Fromm came in behind Eason, who was also a 5-star and Fromm quickly closed the gap by learning the pre-snap reads and the passing progressions. Fromm put himself on the same level as Eason and when Eason got hurt Fromm was ready.

Fields never learned the offense, pre snap reads and progressions well enough to make himself the better option. He got a 'special' waver and a guaranteed starting position and under those unusual circumstances decided to transfer, rather than compete for the job.

Georgia has put itself in the best possible position with it's QB depth. Beck and Vandagriff will be able to benefit by having time to properly develop and learn the offense before their thrown into the fire. It will be the same for Stockton.

If Monken can produce a great offense on the level of Clemson and Alabama, that will give a QB like Stockton the confidence to wait a couple of years while benefiting from the quality development. It's about getting developed in preparation for the NFL.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mike. This sentence in the article caught my attention.

"The Jake Fromm-Justin Fields fallout is just now beginning to settle down, with more elements of the truth of the story finally emerging". What elements of the truth?

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The reality of the situation is, with the way Kirby and staff are recruiting, he should always have a top qb moving forward in the waiting. Right now we have 2 in Beck and Vandagriff. I do not count Stockton because he is only a verbal right now and I don't count them until they are on campus. I understand what Mike is saying here but Daniels will be gone after this year unless injury sidelines him for basically the whole year. If that happens and Carson or Brock come in and pull a Fromm, then JT will be on his way elsewhere.

I am blown away with Stockton's commitment. This is great news and there should be one helluva competition in 22. After the competition is settled, attrition will step in on at least 1 of the studs. That's the nature of the game today. I can't see Beck, Vandagriff nor Stockton playing end, guard and tackle for 4 years (set on the END of the bench, GAURD the water bucket, and TACKLE anyone that comes close to it). All 3 of those guys are potential future NFL qb's.

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I've been a Dawg since 1957, never wavering in my commitment in pulling for UGA. That is certainly long enough to know from experience that my fellow fans are a worrisome as well as (over)confident bunch. For the life of me I cannot understand why so very many vocal fans are choosing to go all doom and gloom about what MIGHT happen in 2022. How can anyone view getting 5 star quarterbacks as anything but positive? Plan for the future but be sure to take time to enjoy the present.

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I would rather have a room full of 4 and 5 star QB's instead of none. Let's worry about this coming season instead of what may happen in 2022 or 2023.

• Options
    jvillebiljvillebil Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior

Iron sharpens Iron. You don't become the fastest gun in the west if you don't challenge the gun ahead of you. So as Ric Flair says, "To be the man, you got to beat the man!" Keep signing up those 5 star QB's.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree Mike. I think it's great to have all these elite QBs competing for the job and potentially bringing more studs on the Dawg bandwagon. It's fun to speculate how the QB competition might play out and how it compares to the Fromm-Fields debacle. I do think anytime you get the best athletes coming to the program then that success feeds on itself. Bama is a master at doing just that and Saban is the king. Now we just need to win the games we need to win to get to the playoffs.

• Options
    GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

Hey Mike, you OK? You never mentioned Jamie Newman in this article......slouching on the job!

• Options
    BassDawgBassDawg Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior

Ideally but I doubt it, whoever wins the QB spot in 2022 the other takes a redshirt that would solve everything.