Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Former Georgia football team captains differ on Jamie Newman

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited January 2021 in Article commenting
imageFormer Georgia football team captains differ on Jamie Newman

ATHENS — When it comes to Jamie Newman, Georgia fans and even former team players are going to have to agree to disagree. Former captain and Butkus Award finalist Monty Rice let former UGA All-American Matt Stinchomb know where the current team stood on the issue in a recent social media exchange. Kirby Smart —

Read the full story here

Comments

• VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 336 ✭✭✭ Junior

never played in a game at UGA, not a true Bulldawg.

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Newman abandoned 2 teams in 8 months, but he is Griffith’s love child. Amazing......4 articles in 6 days about a player who never did a thing for UGa other than take courses, receive free housing, food, stipends, etc.....and waste scholarships at both UGa and WF. Wow, what a team player!!!

Go Dawgs!!!

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

......and Griffith, do you sincerely think UGa players will publicly say what they really think about a so called “leader” who turned and ran right as the battles were ready to start?

• chilidawg1chilidawg1 Posts: 154 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don't think there is a battle to win because Newman came to Athens amid a high level of media hype, projected to be the starter and a Heisman candidate, after several months in Athens and through the first scrimmage of fall practice he was running behind JT Daniels. It was unlikely he was going to be the starter. So why did he leave Athens? Was it Covid concerns or because he was beaten out by Daniels? Does why he left Athens have anything to do with his helmet choice? Why would he want to want wear a Georgia helmet since he never played in a game or even stood on the sideline during a game.

It has been reported that Jaime throws a great deep ball but short throws give him problems. Coverage from Senior Bowl practice seems to confirm that. The battle for Jaime is to convince an NFL team that he is worthy of being drafted or signed as a free agent to be project not as a starter or anyone expected to play anytime soon.

• KhunKhaoDawgKhunKhaoDawg Posts: 209 ✭✭✭ Junior

How many Dawgs are playing in the senior bowl and all Mike Griffith can report on is someone who isn't even a Dawg? Come on Mike get a room already. So tired of your crappy journalism and poorly written articles.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Excuse me, but why have there been so many articles on Newman on Dawgnation when the guy never took a snap for the Dawgs?

I could give a rats behind about Newman, and I think most fans feel the same.

• David1David1 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Why is it hard for the sports networks to not use the Georgia G? He NEVER played a down, much less suited up for a game in the red and black. Did WF put up a fuss about him wearing their logo because he quit on them, too? Unless an nfl team is desperate for aQB, I don’t know why any team would waste a draft pick on him.

• 87dawg87dawg Posts: 364 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2021

Hey, I just heard that there are guys that PLAYED at the University of Georgia that are part of the Senior Bowl roster. I'm not making this up. Go look it up.

......somewhere other than here.

• 87dawg87dawg Posts: 364 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Newman looks very bad in senior bowl. Dead set on his first read, no pocket awareness/hesitant to climb the pocket, horrible intermediate/short ball. Hate to say it but..... Stetson>Newman.

• rtparkerivrtparkeriv Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior

For those complaining about Mike reporting on Newman, there sure are a lot of comments. None of us know why he made the decision he did and he doesn’t owe any of us an explanation. We should all wish him nothing but the best for the future, NFL or elsewhere.

• TrippTripp Posts: 512 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I hold no hard feeling towards the guy. He made a decision to do what he thought best for him. As it turns out, I think he done what was best for Georgia.

When he committed to Georgia through the portal, I went back and watched a lot of film on him and looked over his game by game stats. Against the better teams of the ACC as a whole, he looked as about as good as he did today, not very good.

Mike, I’m not trying to be harsh on Newman but I just do not consider him a Dawg. I think Georgia picking up Daniels didn’t set well with him and he quit on his commitment to Georgia. I just don’t subscribe to the covid reasoning. JMO though!

• JimmyBobJimmyBob Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

Mike, even for click bait master like you, this headline takes the cake.

• 87Dawg_1187Dawg_11 Posts: 75 ✭✭✭ Junior

Jamie Newman made a decision that he believed was the best decision for him and his family. I hope it works out for him and wish him the best. I find it hypocritical that some fans call Newman a quitter but don't have a problem with D.J. Daniels transferring from USC after he was beaten out by a freshman. Both kids made a decision based on what they believed was best for them. The fact Newman's former teammates don't have a problem with it tells you everything you need to know.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Now @87Dawg_11 you do make a good point. Did JT Daniels "quit" on Southern California? He could have returned after his injury and fought to get his starting job back. But he decided to leave and we've embraced him with open arms. Again, I'm not here to bash Newman, I just don't happen to believe his excuse or reason. In the story, Mike hints it would have been a bad look not to start this year. Well how does not starting look any worse than not playing at all? Seems like he could have not started this year and STILL been invited to the Senior Bowl, and had the same opportunity he has now. I don't consider him a true Georgia Bulldog, but I do wish him well in wherever life takes him. Go Dawgs!

• chilidawg1chilidawg1 Posts: 154 ✭✭✭ Junior

Jamie did not look good today. Cannot imagine how he was considered a Heisman candidate. He will likely be signed as a free agent. Don't anticipate anyone using a draft choice to get him