Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Former 5-star tight end Arik Gilbert announces he's transferring to Florida

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited January 2021 in Article commenting
imageFormer 5-star tight end Arik Gilbert announces he's transferring to Florida

Former 5-star tight end Arik Gilbert has made his decision as to where he will be playing football in the 2021 season. And the talented tight end announced that he would be playing for the Florida Gators. Gilbert, who spent this past season at LSU, announced the decision in a tweet. "This is the best situation for me

Read the full story here

Comments

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Called it the day he announced he was transferring. Replacing Pitts. He'll get 40 catches next season.

• Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I was hopeful but don't believe UGA ever had a shot with this talented young man from Marietta. The story that he wants to be closer to home no longer holds water. It's a shame he is headed to the swamp-gross.

Go Dawgs!

• DestinDawgDestinDawg Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Cant say that I blame him. Florida’s offense fits him. See Kyle Pitts! Good luck young man.

• natejawsnatejaws Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ Junior

Good luck him. UF is a dumpster 🔥. Hope enjoys a coach that throws his players under the bus when they lose, a fanbase full of jean shorts and mullets, and watching your rival play for championships. Go Dawgs!!

• ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Good Luck to him.

• 10DAWG10DAWG Posts: 250 ✭✭✭ Junior

Outta the frying pan and into the fire ...

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bummer, but I’m not surprised. I read his comments last year when he picked LSU over UGa and other schools and he said he had this incredible feeling when he was on the LSU campus that he didn’t feel at any other college. Oh well, too bad he doesn’t understand why Athens is rated as the best college town in America.....at least we feel it. I get his wanting to be the premier player on the team.....and he will certainly be that at UF, but he may not have a great QB to make him feel really good about himself like we do. I bet LSU fans are at least happy Arik is closer to home.....Well, kinda sorta. Go Dawgs!!!

• DawgSonOfGamecockDawgSonOfGamecock Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

Fortunately, having Darnell Washington on the roster makes this decision disappointing, but only a little. Not surprising and can't blame the guy. Hopefully our rebuilt secondary will be up to the task of defending him in the fall.

• BestofBreedBestofBreed Posts: 117 ✭✭✭ Junior

Agreed. If we are being honest, this is the best "business decision" for him. And let's not kid ourselves, that matters with the kind of money on the line.

He doesn't have to trust the coaches to be able to do something they haven't shown before. He can literally look at how they used the best TE in the country last year--a player he's been compared to as a TE/WR hybrid. I do not believe Mullen is a great HC, but he has shown he can put his best playmakers in position to make plays.

UF always made the most sense IMO and anyone saying UGA over them have the Red and Black colored glasses on. It is what it is.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes, Mullet did a good job of working the Trask to Pitts combo. Emory Jones has proven to be not close to Trask as an accurate passer. Trask’s accuracy gave Lanning and Kirby problems defending. Kirby has had no problems scheming against Mullen when Mullen had his preferred dual threat more runner than passer type of QB even when it was Prescott.

The “homesick, need to be closer to home” angle that Gilbert was going to use to get immediate eligibility has gone down the tube!

• SCDawgFanSCDawgFan Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

I guess Cine has a new target!!!

• HunkerDawgHunkerDawg Posts: 76 ✭✭✭ Junior

Screw him. Gators eat boogers.

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Big mistake!

Gilbert is making the exact same mistake all over again.

Emory Jones will target Gilbert plenty, but that 56% completion rate is not going to make it very efficient.

Gilbert would've been much better off going to a team with a proven passer at QB and a strong supporting cast. He may get ran into the ground and for minimal results.

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Arik seems to be seeking instant gratification and maximum targets. This move makes only a little more sense than choosing UT does. Coach flirting with the NFL. Coach and DC on the hot seat. Fanbase in an uproar. Playing in the SECE where your odds of post season play are slim to none. The choice doesn’t look too smart. Wonder what Mullen told him.

• BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

I believe this shows how toxic the situation is in Baton Rouge & how talented the UGA TE room has finally become. Washington will become a matchup nightmare for defenses next season as Kirby, Monken and the Dawgs finally have the pieces in place across the board for a beast if an offense.

• GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

Erik would be great in Red and Black, but we have to many weapons and only one football!

• budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This guy always seems to "be a year late". Goes to LSU "AFTER " Burrow is gone, and now Florida "AFTER" Trask leaves. Not to be mean, but maybe not up to UGA education standards? I understand, wanting to be "The Guy", but at what costs? Like an earlier post stated, at a 56% completion clip, how many routes will he have to run to get the output? Best of luck, young man, you are going to need it.

GO DAWGS!!!!!