Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Even if George Pickens can return to the Dawgs, should he take the risk?

SystemSystem Posts: 10,467 admin
edited March 2021 in Article commenting
imageEven if George Pickens can return to the Dawgs, should he take the risk?

A UGA fan ponders what he’d tell his own son in that situation

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 277 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hate to bring up the obvious, Bill. We all know that Arik Gilbert, if his head is pointed in the right direction sans a 360 degree twist, offers unique capabilities. Though we will learn nothing about his decision making, one does wonder if this very unfortunate injury to our best receiver might make UGA an even more inviting site for his landing.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've been wondering why everyone is just assuming Pickens won't be back for the 2022 season; I wasn’t aware of that ominous message he posted. I'll preface this with the standard caveat that I'm no expert, but it's kind of weird to me that it's being treated as a given that his draft stock won't be affected at all by the fact that he won't have played for over a year after coming off a season ending injury. Seems like the idea of returning for his senior year and cementing his status as a first round lock would at least be considered as a mere possibility this early on in the whole thing.

• Options
    RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 175 ✭✭✭ Junior

Pickens is an elite player and he will be missed. However this isn't 2019 where we had no WR's. Nor is it last year where we had WR's and didn't have a SEC caliber QB until JT was in the lineup. We will have enough firepower to get the job done. The bigger concern is the OL where we have to find the right combination of guys to give JT time to throw it to the WR's.

• Options
    jrmdvm1jrmdvm1 Posts: 131 ✭✭✭ Junior

UGA football is going to be "investing" a lot of time ( and money ) in rehabbing Mr. Pickens, as well they should. If he were not eligible for the NFL draft after this year, I would probably expect that he would be out for the year, and then come back the following year. He would need to concentrate on rehabbing that knee while also gaining strength and conditioning for his other knee. There are few, if any, places that offer a better rehab program following ACL surgery. Unfortunately, his other knee has to be considered as slightly higher risk than someone who has not had an ACL injury. In spite of being eligible for the draft, he needs to rehab as if he is coming back to play another year. Then he needs to get the best information possible as to his projected draft status, and then weigh the risks and rewards of returning for another year. If he is able to safely return in mid-year, then he may bolster his draft status. If he cannot return this year, and decides he needs to move on to the next level, I would wish him well, and would hope he would be able to have a "cameo" appearance like LeCounte had. Sadly, I am not sure he is NFL "ready" yet, and would have benefitted from being able to play this year. Had he been able to show what most of us expected him to be this year, he certainly would have been a first rounder. I wish him well in overcoming this adversity no matter what he decides to do.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe Pickens has played his last down for Georgia, especially if he’s projected as a first round pick.

• Options
    Roman13Roman13 Posts: 26 ✭✭ Sophomore

With Pickens gone, who will step up and get in a fist fight with th Tech guy or who is gona squirt th water bottle in th face of th Tennessee QB ?