Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Divaad Wilson, Hines Ward show the importance of rehab when it comes to a potential George Pickens r

SystemSystem Posts: 10,668 admin
edited April 2021 in Article commenting
imageDivaad Wilson, Hines Ward show the importance of rehab when it comes to a potential George Pickens return

Most Georgia fans haven't thought too much about former defensive back Divaad Wilson. The former Georgia defensive back transferred to Central Florida in 2020 after signing as a member of the 2018 recruiting class. Wilson made a handful of impact plays, specifically an interception in the 2019 win over Notre Dame, in

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2021

Two things stand out to me in this. The first is that it says Wilson played in five games for UCF this past season. Is there anyone in DawgNation who doesn't think that he would have played in at least that many games for us if he had stayed? To leave Georgia where you were a highly-prized reserve to go play in five games for UCF, I don't get it. But I wish him the best.

Second thing is, none of us should read too much into Kirby Smart saying someone "will be fine." He says that about almost any injury unless, like Pickens, it's too catastrophic to hide. In Kirby's mind, as long as the kid doesn't die, they'll "be fine." He says that and then the kid misses like 6 or 8 games, so I just wait to see who actually shows up and plays. Again, waiting for an update on the Amarius Mims injury, another one who "should be fine."

• Options
    Billy2131Billy2131 Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

Folks....Lets be real honest and frank with one another. Here are the true facts.

1. Knee injuries are serious injuries that require extended long periods of rehabilitation. This injury is not your average broken bone or dislocated shoulder that can heal in a 2 or 3 months and the patient is 100% back to playing competitive sports.
    2. Pickens knee injury is serious...it will require surgery (which I think has already taken place or soon to be) and after surgery the patient will begin a long and grueling year plus journey to hopefully a full recovery.
    3. What does this mean: George Pickens more than likely will not be ready to play football in a live enviroment until next Spring after the NFL draft. Even this time table is more than likely pushing his return as my guess would be he won't go full speed until Fall camp 2022.
    4. What does this mean for UGA and George Pickens: From a pure law of averages perspective from major knee injuries being 100% ready to run/cut, get in football shape, practice and play in SEC football games...George Pickens will never play another down for UGA.
    5. I would love to see number 1 dress out, jump/catch footballs and score touchdowns for our Dawgs in 2021. However, George Pickens is already thinking about his future outside of Dooley Field at Sanford Stadium. That future more than likely is the financial risk Pickens, his family and more likely his trusted advisors see as a huge financial liability returning anytime to play football for UGA during the 2021 season....even in late season games, playoff's or championship games.

Let's be real UGA alum and fans... George Pickens played two great years in Athens between The Hedges!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pickens has only 2 years of college under his belt..maybe he can go pro next year if he doesn't play or not, I'm not sure. But I do know this, he will lose money if he goes pro next year, if he can't make it back by the time the bowl season rolls around. Maybe even millions. Now maybe that doesn't matter to him (it's all monopoly money to them) or his momma, or his camp, I don't know. Whose to say what George might do or not do.

It's too risky for a team to use a 1st round pick on a receiver, especially if he can't bust out a fast 40 time or change directions on a dime very well at the combine.

If he doesn't play in 21, then I say he definitely comes back for 22. If he comes back in 22 and catches 90 passes, he goes in the top 10. We all know how that pays.

Another thing also is the players have to declare pretty early for the draft (January 18) and if he doesn't know he's going to be ready to ball out at the combine by the 18th then he truly is rolling the dice, because once you declare you aint coming back.

It would be a travesty to go to the combine and run a 4.85, have a a vertical of 30 inches and perform poorly. No club picks him in the 1st round with mediocre numbers. He would have to be all the way back or know that he would be by mid January. No regressions, no possibility of a setback. Just too risky.