Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Favorite position in all of sports

pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is a follow up thread to the "Most important position in sports" thread on the Football forum. My question is, what is the "best" position in all of sports. To me that means the most fun to play. I've played football, rugby, baseball, soccer, tennis at the HS varsity level. Played competitive basketball, softball, soccer at the men's league level as an adult. I was a natural athlete and pretty good at every sport I played. Of all the sports I played, these are my two favorite positions:

#1. Football linebacker. Run or pass, LBs are usually there to make a tackle. Wherever the ball is, a LB is likely there. I love tackling. Delivering a hit is way more fun that receiving a hit, and playing linebacker was my favorite position. I mostly played WR in HS, but I was also an undersized backup LB. Not a big hitter, but a sure tackler.

#2. Baseball catcher. Again, in on every play. I love wearing the gear. I even like taking a foul tip off the facemask. Just something old-school cool about being a catcher.

Comments

• BumBum Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Striker for me. Scoring goals, especially longer ones was the most satisfied I felt in sports. If you’re good you score often enough to be comfortable doing it, but not often enough to where it seems too easy. One on one breakaway you vs. the keeper full speed, nothing like it.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Racquetball was my favorite

As far as team sports Shortstop or Small Forward in Basketball.

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pitcher...

...you control the pace of the game...

• how2fishhow2fish Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fullback, I mostly played guard and center, but was too **** small and got my head handed to me daily. One day a coach had the idea to let me block with a 3-4 yard head start.. oh I liked that!

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2021

I was mainly a pitcher, but I loved putting on the catcher's gear and getting behind the plate. Kind of felt like a suit of armor. And there is something very satisfying about throwing the mask off like a boss to catch a pop-up. One time a guy tried to steam-roll me at home. I casually stepped out of the way like a Matador, tagged him out as he went by, and watched him make a fool of himself as he tumbled across the plate.

• moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I loved playing goalie in soccer. Not my usual position, but when we were way up in score and our normal keeper wanted to get some time in the field, I’d put on the jersey and gloves and pretend I was some world class keeper - diving, sliding, blocking shots and punting.

• PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Shortstop in baseball. Always covering or backing up if not making the catch and throw. Bird’s eye view of pitcher batter & runners. Usually has the most errors; though it’s because there are more attempts

Played SS until high school, then was moved to third base and told to grab what I could. Always had a strong arm but the bat left me completely. Couldn’t hit anything with movement on it. One of the saddest days of my life was when I took off my baseball cleats for the last time. It didn’t help that I struck out with bases loaded and down one run to not only lose region but missed playoff opportunity, too.

• BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Getting fitted tomorrow at Club Champion for a new set of woods and am pumped up.

Was fitted there about two weeks ago for new irons to replace my Mizuno MP 57 set.

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron, ZX7 7 Iron - 50 Degree Gap Wedge, Callaway Jaw 56 Degree, Aerotech Steelfiber shafts with puring process.

Would be cool to have some type of Dawgnation Golf Outing for a Charity when Covid is fully behind us.

• dragonslayerdragonslayer Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not really a sport, but I used to make my spending money making balls move on green felt using a 58 inch stick. 14.1 back then, now mostly 9.

We weren't all cut out to be athletes, some of us had to be content being athletic supporters.😉

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I always liked playing DB/corner. It's a simple task, but hard to execute.

2nd base in softball is a blast too. Let SS do most of the work.

I'm trying to keep it to team sports. As there's plenty of sporting activities you can do by yourself. Skiing, kayaking, etc.

I've always wondered why the pros don't do that more often. I guess they think the "body armor" will protect them.

I had to give up baseball at the highschool level too man. Same reason as well. The ball just started moving to fast for me.

• SAVDGDSAVDGD Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I always like center field in baseball. The feeling of running down a fly ball halfway across the field that was juuuust within reach was always fun. And then being able to show off your cannon skills and throwing a guy out at the plate or 2nd.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2021

grew up playing basketball and football. have some great memories from that time. However the most fun sport to play for me (used to be) was moto. Such a great feeling to hit a turn perfectly or hanging with buddies ripping a hare scramble and then hanging out back at the truck bench racing.

miss it for sure

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't know what any of that means, seriously, but you know I'm a fan of yours, and I love your passion for the sport.

• TurkDawgTurkDawg Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Punt returner! When I played intramural football at UGA they let me try this position and it was great fun! Catch it and take off!